Diff breather extensions

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2295 Views:6133 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
where can I buy an extension kit for my diff breathers. I own a current model Hilux and want to "waterproof" my front and rear axles. Is it easy to do myself or is there an easy to install kit on the market. Andy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ashley - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00
Andy, Piranha Off Road (Vic) sell diff breather kits or can do the job for you.
Cheers
AnswerID: 8215

Reply By: Mick n Sal - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00

Andy,
If you have a little bit of mechanical ability, it is easy. Remove one of your diff breathers ( it is a little plug screwed into the top of your diff) and take it to someone like Pirtek or Enzed. Tell them you want a hose fitting with the same thread as the breather and tell them what you are doing. Buy some hose to suit the fittings and some cable ties. Replace the factory breathers with the new fittings and run the hose to somewhere high - under the bonnet is as good a place as any, and fit some cheap fuel filters to the end to help keep dust out. Cable tie the hose under the vehicle so it wont get hung up on things & keep it away from your exhaust. The clear poly hose will do just fine as it won't be exposed to Ultra Violet light.

When buying the fittings, be sure you have enough clearance around the fitting on your diff housing ( there isn't a lot of room above the front diff on IFS vehicles )

Hope this helps - Email if you have trouble

AnswerID: 8220

Follow Up By: Ashley - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00

If you are going to tackle it yourself what Mick n Sal said is right, but also allow enough slack in the hose for your axle to travel to its full extension.

Cheers
FollowupID: 3908

Follow Up By: Derek - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00

Mick n Sal are spot on with their advice. While you're at it, consider doing the transmission and transfer case (if applicable).
FollowupID: 3917

Follow Up By: Janset - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Andy.
As always I have to have my say :)

I extended the breather lines to both my axels. The front finished up under the bonnet clipped to the dip stick tube with electrical ties. The rear was extented from the original location on the chassis up to and clipped to the filler hose at the side of the Troopie. Again electrical ties.

Firstly, remember how much slack you had prior to the extension. I made my first security clamping of the extewnsion where the original ended this way i knew how much slack was required to be left.

Now the extension, simplest way I found was to just cut of the hose endfitting, not the diff end but the other. Go to you local air fitting shop or Repco and buy 2 double ended barbs , (cost less than $2) to fit the inside diameter of the hose, a small piece you may still have attached to the fitting will give you the size. You can also most likely be able to by the hose there also.

Next measure how long your extensions intend to be and from Marlows or Repco or the like, buy the length of hose, and cut into the required lengths.

Insert the double ended barb into the remaining hose still attached to the diff and secure the other end where you intend the hose fitting to end.

Reinstall the original breather end that you cut off into the extension and Bob's your uncle.

The hoses do not need any clamps around the barbs as there is no pressure to force it off and the fitting is quite snug that will with time bind it's self tighter.

A breather filter is not really required as the breather end is higher up and further away from the dust, and if you look at the original, that was factory installed, it was placed in a very dusty location and no filter was fitted by the makers.

Regards
FollowupID: 3918

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00

Outback Accessories in Hartnett Drive Seaford Vic sell a kit for around $50 with the lot needed for the job.

Ask for Alan
AnswerID: 8223

Sponsored Links