AT Tyres for Prado - Yokohama GO11+II?

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2298 Views:6194 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello

I need some replacement tyres for my Prado, and the Yokohama Geolandar GO11+II is pretty appealling. Aside from being one of the few tyres around in the 265/70 R16 size range, it has the looks that i'm chasing (i.e. no big knobs and no raised white lettering).

Since the car is mostly on the road (I'd say 80/20), I'm looking for something with a bit more bite than a highway tread tyre without too much extra road noise. The tread pattern on the GO11+II *looks* like it would be quiet on the road, and would have reasonable traction off road, but any extra information on this particular tyre is pretty thin aside from the usual marketing guff.

So I'm chasing your feedback, opinions and reviews on these tyres in particular. I'll even take rumors at this stage ;)

I did note that they were applauded by one company in the aug edition of 4x4 australia... but I can't tell what is a paid advertisement and what is the real deal :)

I checked out Coopers, but am not interested in upping my tyre size to get a particular brand.

oh - For those in WA - the 4wd show is on this weekend.
Fri-Sun 8-10 Nov, McCallum Park, Victoria Park - www.4wdshow.com.au

I'm going to be heading along to pick the brains of each tyre stand :)

Cheers,
Martin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00
I priced a set of Yokos a few months ago, and they were lots dearer than BFG's etc... I liked the look of their MT tire, and size was ok, even the Yoko dealer said he couldnt match the BFG, that was before he got the book out, or called the supplier of BFG...

Just something to keep in mind.
AnswerID: 8227

Reply By: Bernie - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Mart
I 'm running BFG AT 265/70R16 on Prado about 80/20 , nice tyre bit noiser than Grandtreks have spoken to 2 cruiser drivers & they were not impressed with the Yoko's. re white letters BFG are Black on 1 side white on the other its your choice
regards Bernie
AnswerID: 8229

Reply By: Cashy - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00

Martin,

I run 265/75 BFG AT's on my Prado and find very little noise from them. Also you will find that the 265/75 are at least $30 - 40 cheaper then the 265/70, in the BFG size anyway. They do put the speedo out about 3% but it is not significant.

I also have the white letters pointing in as I don'y really care for them.

Cashy
AnswerID: 8234

Reply By: andy - Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00
Hi, I put 5 geolander AT's on my 99 Hilux SR5 about 5000 km's ago and recon that they are the best. The tread pattern offers me better traction than my previous set of BFG all terrains and they have absolutely NO ROAD NOISE at all. My best quote for 31.5x10Rx15 BFG AT's was $240 per tyre and I only paid $185 per tyre for the Geo AT's. The tread pattern on the Yokies is about 40% deeper so they should last longer. I live in the Vic high country and use these tyres off road on a weekly basis and see no signs of wear yet. I bought them from Competition Tyres in Murrumbeena in Melbourne. Can highly reccommend them. Have used BFG's on 4 vehicles over 10 years and recon that they should be really scared of the Yokie Geos's hitting the market. They are a serious competitor. Andy
AnswerID: 8322

Sponsored Links