Self inflating mattress

Submitted: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 230 Views:5756 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me which is the best self inflating mattress on the market and the expected cost. Can a mattress only 50mm thick be comfortable ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jenny - Wednesday, May 16, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 16, 2001 at 00:00
YES I can help you!!!
We recently had the same questions and we certainly dont believe that a mattress only 50mm thick is good enough!!!(For a child yes but not for an adult) In fact I initially bought thermarest mattresses and took them home the first night to try them out and was so disappointed that I took them both back for a refund the next day. They were most uncomfortable.
SO the answer to your question......
I then bought two single CARIBEE 4 Wheel drive mats which are 100mm thick when inflated.
THEY ARE WONDERFUL and if you have the space I wouldnt buy anything else. The single is 198cm x 80cm wide and we used them all Easter and had the MOST COMFORTABLE nights sleep.
They are only about $110 each, half the price of the thermarests and more than twice the comfort!!!
AnswerID: 481

Reply By: chris - Thursday, May 17, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, May 17, 2001 at 00:00
John,
We have used the thermorest brand mats for years, and the cheaper RAYs tent city type for the kids. We have had no problems with them at all, and generally sleep really well. t might take a day or two to get used to them, but overall they are warm and small to pack up, and of course, dont need inflating! Last year I thought that they were getting worn, as I kept getting sore legs from pressure spots, ie on my hips, ut it truned out that our sleeping bags were just worn out, and letting cold spots in, so the message is to have good fluffy bags..the mats are fine!
We keep then under the bed at home inflated during the year. I would agree that those 4wd mats look the bees knee, but they are so big to pack!
good luck..
regards,
Chris
AnswerID: 489

Follow Up By: Graham - Saturday, May 19, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, May 19, 2001 at 00:00
Im with Chris on this one. My wife and I have used Thermarest for years, We camped our way around the world (twice) and they worked great. They pack small and if you give them a couple of extra puffs of air you would swear you are at home in the queen size ensemble (almost)
FollowupID: 128

Reply By: Mark- Saturday, Jun 23, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 23, 2001 at 00:00
caribee are the best quality by streaks. Make sure that you have a Velour top and plastic bottom style, keeps out moisture etc when laying them flat on the ground.
AnswerID: 673

Sponsored Links