HJ60 Oil Change

Submitted: Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 18:46
ThreadID: 23006 Views:2978 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Changed the oil in my HJ60 today, But when I went to start the engine it locked up due to oil in one or more cylinders. I did fill it very quickly and oil must have backed up in the rocker cover then travelled down the rocker cover breather into the inlet manifold then into a cylinder via an open inlet valve. I removed all 6 glow plugs turned over the engine for about 10 seconds replaced glow plugs and started the engine. Heaps of blue oil smoke for a while until all was burnt and inlet manifold clear of oil as well as exhaust manifold and exhaust system.
My question to all and sundry is Has anyone heard of this happening before???
Or am I the only one that has filled the oil too quickly

Greenant
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: hl - Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 19:53

Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 19:53
If you have enough oil leaking past the valve stems while filling to cause a lockup, your engine would probably not run.
There must be another reason.....
cheers

AnswerID: 111367

Reply By: Peter 2 - Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 20:20

Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 20:20
Yes I've had it happen exactly as you describe on a 2H engine, also had a mate do it the day before we took off to the Kimberley on a 3 month trip.
We both filled it with oil very quickly from one of those old style jugs the servo's used to have.
I suspect it is a relatively common problem with the 2H if you fill it too quickly.
Ever since I always pour it in slowly through a small funnel.
We had to remove the injectors too, don't stand in front of the holes when you crank it the oil comes out with a lot of force and goes a long way.
AnswerID: 111373

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 20:27

Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 20:27
YOU IDIOT HOW STUPID - did exactly the same thing myself. Called the rac and he came aroun d and didnt even get out of the car. "changed the oil didya mate" apparantly it is a good apprentices trick. What happens is the oil doesnt get a chance to drain down to the sump and backs up entering the combustion chamber via the pcv breather. you are not the 1st or the last
AnswerID: 111375

Reply By: Shane (QLD) - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 10:46

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 10:46
Heard about this problem, so I tried a way of fixing this should it happen to me and at the same time also fixing the oil getting sucked from the PCV to Turbo under boost. I removed the origonal breather hose from the R/cover & with a replacement one I looped it about 8" higher & then back into the Turbo inlet side. I really don't know whether it works for the oil filling, but I know I don't get any more blue smoke when I take off from the lights now. But I would think with the hose now being a lot higher than a normal funnel (inserted in R/Cover) it would alleviate the problem.
AnswerID: 111424

Sponsored Links