Recommend a winter snorkel check...

Submitted: Monday, May 16, 2005 at 11:59
ThreadID: 23021 Views:2430 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Gave the surf a major service on Saturday, all the usual things to be done and a couple of extras on the list like fixing blown tail lights etc.
I also had a vibration I'd noticed where the snorkel entered the body. It's been there a while now but I just figured the snorkel was rattling on the body from the induction vibration.

So I finish of everything else and figured I'd have a closer look at the snorkel. While I've got my nose stuck down there I could feel air blowing accross it.
Hmmmmm.... Not good.
So I pull off the plastic wheel arch and have a peak up between the quarter pannel and the engine bay.
Turns out The hose clamp that holds the the rubber hose to the air box onto the plastic end of the snorkel was totally loose and bouncing around on the hose!
So I tightened it up and put some siliocone over the screw so it won't rattle loose.

Suff knows how long it's been that way, but I would recommend comming into winter that everyone has a little check of all your snorkel fittings, could have been a very expensive "whoopsie" had we done a deepish water crossing with it like that.... And thanks to the WA Water Authority it's quite likley a deep water crossing is in the near future just driving down the freeway!!LOL

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Steve (ACT) - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 15:40

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 15:40
Thanks for that will put in on my list of regular checks, simple thing but something I hadn't thought of, like you said would be a bad thing to find out after a deep water crossing

Steve
AnswerID: 111460

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 16:53

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 16:53
Jeff

I read somewhere recently that this is common in Surfs/Hiluxes/Forerunners, although why just those vehicles wasn't clear.... But ya got me wonderin' too, so I'll check mine as well.
Thanks for the heads up mate!
AnswerID: 111472

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 17:06

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 17:06
What a bizzare thing that it would be common in those vehicles... They all have different air intake paths...
Mine was custom made. The only part that is safari is the outside plastic bit. It's a 2.8L (3L) hilux kit. (because the body is the same) but the air box in the 1kz-te surf is totally different to the 3L and hence some rubber hose with a big spring in it (to stop it kinking) was put from the snorkel into the airbox. It was this rubber hose that had worked loose.
Well at least the ol' silicone should stop it working loose again!! I guess the constant vibration from the intake resonance must have shaken it loose. Either that or the dodgy bstard who installed it never tightened it in the first place!

Maybe it's just cos us toyota hilux/surf/4runner drivers actually go harder than you pootrol drivers.... LMAO!

But yeah, I'd seriously check it out hey.... I always check the one I can see in the engine bay but it was always too hard to check the other so I never bothered before this time...

FollowupID: 367805

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 19:50

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 19:50
We had a fellow in a surf at our club driver program last month.... bent an idler arm driving up our last test hill.... didn't hit anything, it simply bent! Real good quality there!!!! Maybe I should go out and buy one.... no... I'd only spend all my time getting the missus to recover me in the mighty Patrol!!!
;-)

LOL......

(sorry mate... couldn't resist that!)
FollowupID: 367854

Reply By: Andrew from TrekTable - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 21:18

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 21:18
Jeff,

That's a good tip. Anyone who has fitted a snorkel will know there's a few spots that need to be checked to ensure all is safe. Snorkels are a funny thing. You pay alot of money for them as 'insurance' yet few of us remember to check they are actually doing their job! As you said, it would be all too easy to plunge into a deep crossing, assuming the good old snorkel is working fine. But a small (or big!) leak down in one of the joins will quickly bring you to a halt. It doesn't matter how high the pickup is if air is actually being picked up down low!

This applies to all vehicles, not just Surfs.

Andrew
AnswerID: 111520

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 22:18

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 22:18
yep I was tying my shoelace next to the work Tojo and happened to look up to see a decent crack on the underside of the snorkal where it runs along the gaurd. To bad if you discovered it while performing a river crossing
AnswerID: 111541

Sponsored Links