Fitting a GME 3200 into hilux

Submitted: Monday, May 16, 2005 at 16:30
ThreadID: 23030 Views:2705 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Can anyone give me any tips for installing a 3200 into a hilux. Im going to mount it down on the passengers sid of the gearshift console, there are two holes where something was mounted there before. Where should i run the arial and power leads to under the bonnet? I had a quick look under the bonnet and it wasnt obvious. Also should I wire it to the fusebox beside the left guard? Is this easy to do or should I just take it to a pro?

Cheers,

BBails
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 17:39

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 17:39
My reply is general rather than Hilux oriented, sorry.
The power and aerial lead can be run under the carpet (I guess Hiluxes have em :) to a big rubber grommet in the sidewall. Then use filler. Take power from your fusebox, make sure that the lead has its own inline fuse as close to the power takeoff as possible. Fires are not nice. Run aerial lead to aerial. Mount aerial as high as possible. Make sure that your coax/aerial has a good earth, if putting on bullbar check that its got a braided lead back to the chassis/negative side of the battery.
If in doubt throw money at a pro :))
Good luck.
AnswerID: 111475

Follow Up By: BBails - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 19:40

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 19:40
Cheers mate,

Was hoping someone with a lux would answer and save me searching for the grommet...

Carpet! Haha - no only in the shishi SR5s. The base models get the hose out interior,

Thanks,

BB
FollowupID: 367850

Reply By: Member - Oskar (Bris) - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 19:49

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 19:49
Not an installation note, but a just a little hint to discourage opportunistic theft.
Unless the design of the mounting cradle has changed in the last couple of years, you will find that the unit is very easy to remove (too easy).
To make it more difficult to remove the unit, run a "zip lock" type tie right around the front/side section around the clips, to lock the side mounted clips in place.
You will then need side cutters to remove the unit from its cradle.
Not thief proof, but it will stop the "casual" thief.
Cheers
Oskar
AnswerID: 111497

Follow Up By: BBails - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 11:16

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 11:16
Excellent idea, I will be taking it up. The reason I got the 3200 was so I could remove it easy as I live in sydney and have a detachable face CD/MP3 already so I dont have to worry bout it getting stolen. I was a bit torn about what to do with the CB when I go away for 1 month in July. I thought Id take the radio out whenever I didnt camp. Im staying two nights in a Darwin so Ill prolly take it out then but the rest of the time Ill put cable ties on.

Cheers,

Brent
FollowupID: 367946

Reply By: Toy_Hilux - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 22:36

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 22:36
Hi BB,

Inside, you mount it where you like. I put mine indash (less likely to be stolen). Then ran arial lead and +and - wires through rubber boot on drivers side. Attached negative wire to bodywork where negative lead off batt is, then attached in line fuse onto + wire and wired mine directly to batt. Means I have to manually turn radio off, but doesn't worry me. I also used a GI arial, no probs.

Mounting where you are, run the wiring etc under the vinyl like all my phone and cd stacker leads are. No carpet in mine either.
AnswerID: 111544

Follow Up By: BBails - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 11:38

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 11:38
Thanks for the tips,

I was a bit torn about the theft issue. I decided to go with the 3200 transmission tunnel mounted and easily removable so I can take it out while Im in Sydney. Im too worried to leave a CD player in there with the face on.

B

FollowupID: 367953

Sponsored Links