brake controllers

Submitted: Monday, May 16, 2005 at 17:47
ThreadID: 23031 Views:1539 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Wish to install a motion sensing type electric brake controller in a 2005 Subaru ForesterX. I have no knee room to have one mounted on the lower face of the dash, left side of the steering column. Would prefer to have it integreated in the dash. Have found that if I can remove dummy switch panel on right side of steering column that I have enough space to install controller. Would like info either on dash trim removal or how to remove three rather inaccessable screws, very thin Philips head type.
Cheers jayeff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gajm (VIC) - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 18:32

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 18:32
Do you have a brake controller already?...because the only ones I know of, have to be accessable. I have a Tekonsha Prodigy, and the lever for setting it, or manualy applying the brakes is underneath it, and it would have to stick a fair way out of your dash to reach.
If you have a space big enough keep in mind the manual over ride, cause it's hard enough to find if you need it in a hurry, like if the trailer starts fishtailing and you want to dab the brakes on it to get it under control.
AnswerID: 111488

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 21:58

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 21:58
I have a Tekonsha Voyager Gajm, and have it mounted on the dash of our Patrol..... sometimes it seems that the brakes on the trailer are really savage though, even suddenly locking up for no reason when I brake.... does yours do this? I plan to re-calibrate it asap.... but am curious to know what yours does.
FollowupID: 367877

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 23:23

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 23:23
I originaly got the voyager, but sent it back without ever using it, I wanted the Prodigy cause you dont need to constantly reset it, plus can use it with reversing. I havn't had any probs like that with mine, always apply pretty cleanly. Does the Voyager have the boost button? and that isnt on is it?
FollowupID: 367896

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 06:49

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 06:49
The Voyager has the overide slider, No it isn't on, but I went out and checked just in case! I followed the set up instructions pretty close but I may have set it a bit close. But we noticed coming home from Bonalbo a couple of weeks back that occassionally the brakes would lock up as I applied the pedal. And then the next time it wouldn't.... so I don't know if it's just the calibration is out or the unit is faulty. I thought I'd re-cal it and see what happens and then if it still occurrs I'll take it back. I have no problems with reversing with it, and as far as I know, it doesn't need to be reset each and every time it is initialized... (Repco tried to sell me one that does!)
Thanks for your reply mate... have a good day!

FollowupID: 367926

Follow Up By: murrayw1 - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 19:20

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 19:20
Post for Brian on his Tekonsha unit locking the brakes. Had the same problem with a unit I had and discovered it was the earth lead failing to make good contact. Without that the unit applies all power thru the brake system. Not nice. Hope this will help.
FollowupID: 368032

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 21:19

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 21:19
Thanks for that murrayw1.
Is that the earth lead for the unit or the brakes themselves? I will check both to make sure...
FollowupID: 368050

Follow Up By: murrayw1 - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 08:43

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 08:43
Thats the earth lead from the unit itself. Should be attached to an earthing point on the vehicle.
FollowupID: 368111

Reply By: jayeff - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 15:29

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 15:29
I haven't bought a controller yet, though I am basing my interest on the Tekonsha Prodigy.My measurements suggest that if I utilise the "pocket" attachment attached to a purpose made bracket in the dash, that it extends beyond the end of the pocket by approx 35mm. Is this correct?
With regards to the Voyager model I have read on the web (tekonsha home page also put 'tekonsha voyager' in search engine and look for forum results) that the is/was a software fault with certain serial numbers within the model. The fault produces various unwanted actions, e.g. brake lights on when no braking action etc.
Hopes this helps
Jayeff
AnswerID: 111638

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 18:00

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 18:00
if you measure from the side of the pocket...at the most foward part of the it (not including the levers for clipping and unclipping it), then it sticks out 47mm, if you can set it up so you have only 35 mm sticking out then you will still be able to reach the slider and the buttons on top of the Prodigy. Give me a yell if you can't understand what I said, or if you want other measurments.
FollowupID: 368018

Follow Up By: viz - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 21:52

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 21:52
Seriously recommend the Prodigy over the others. No manual leveling, but more importantly it does not use a pendulum, which for off-roading can become a pain. It uses some electronic solid state thingy (Hall effect???) instead. I have it installed in the ashtray housing of my LC100 (don't smoke) - fits it real neat...

As for your dash problems - can't help there. Don't know much about the Su-bees...;)

/viz
FollowupID: 368212

Reply By: jayeff - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 16:29

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 16:29
Thanks for the info I will give it a try.
Cheers
Jayeff
AnswerID: 111809

Sponsored Links