HJ61 Sahara problem

Submitted: Monday, May 16, 2005 at 22:36
ThreadID: 23045 Views:1843 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I have a hj61 with a 12ht engine.The problem i've been having is when i turn the air con on the car revs higher than normal.If i then turn the air con off the revs will stay high untill i switch the car off.Could anyone let me if they have heard or expirienced this, Dasha
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 23:39

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 23:39
Hi Dasha,

I have one of these engines too, but I suspect your problem could occur to any non computer motor with airconditioning.

I am assuming you are saying the car revs higher at idle.

There is an adjustment that you set the fast idle speed, so when the air conditioner is on, it increases the idle speed of the motor to the normal idle speed to compensate for the increased load of the air conditioner compressor. You will find the solenoid/activator on the 12HT motor on the air filter side of the motor on the cables from the accelerator pedal that activate the fuel pump. It's cold and dark outside now otherwise I'd go and look and see whether it is electrical or vacuum operated. Either way, it's a rod with adjusting nuts on it that push against a paddle.

I suspect it is way out of adjustment and sticking on. Maybe it's been bent by a wayward stick or something.

Try leaving the engine turned off but the ignition turned on, find the lever and get someone to push the air cond button on and off. If it is working correctly it should move a short distance then back when the switch is off.

Tim
AnswerID: 111558

Reply By: figtree - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 13:28

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 13:28
Dasha,
Is the engine warm when that hapens? If it is cold, it will keep revs up, at about 900RPM, untill it warms up.
AnswerID: 111615

Follow Up By: Member - Dashmir E (VIC) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 16:26

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 16:26
G'day Figtree, No the car could be driven for an hour and as soon as i hit that air-con button it revs harder than that warming up period your mentioning. I think Tim could be on to something just waiting to see someone a little more mechanically advanced than I.
FollowupID: 368006

Follow Up By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 00:06

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 00:06
Dashmir,

Have a bit of a gaze in the general area I described in my initial suggestion and see if you can see how it all works. You're unlikely to break anything with a few gentle prods. :-)

It's important to do the little things like this so you can feel more confident to go away from it all and use the vehicle more to it's capacity. There's nothing quite as fulfilling as resolving an annoying problem yourself with a little inginuity and stretching your self imposed limitations.

Regards
Tim
FollowupID: 368227

Sponsored Links