Bf goodrich mud terrain tyres

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2305 Views:11859 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all I am currently running 275 x16 bf goodrich all terrain tyres on my GU 4.2 diesel, this is my second set and i'm very happy with them, the first set got me 120,000 kms and the current set are going well and have 80,000kms at present. The current ones are the new ko's so i dont think they will get as many k''s as the first set did. My question is , i'm thinking of going to the mud terrain bf goodrich but not sure about the noise level as i travel from mittagong to bankstown for work daily. Its a 160 km round trip on the freeway at 120kph.
Someome told me that they re only get louder when they are well worn. Has someone got a view on this.Thanks in advance. Michael.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappan - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00
Michael, if its your daily driver I would be reluctant to fit muddys. yes they are noisier and they will wear substanially quicker on a daily driver.

The guys I know, have 2 sets of wheels for there daily drivers.

my 2c worth
AnswerID: 8258

Follow Up By: Michael - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00

i kinda thought that, you confirm it, thanks for your reply, Best regards Michael.
FollowupID: 3941

Reply By: MikeyS - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00

Michael- I bought some BFG mud terrains recently and was very surprised how "un-noisy" they are (note: un-noisy rather than quiet). They are probably no noisier than the well-worn Cooper Discoverer A/T's which I usually use. I think the Coopers are a fair bit noisier than when they were new, so this could support the argument that tyres generally get noisier as they wear. If the GU has good sound deadening, I doubt that you would notice much difference at highway speeds. MikeyS
AnswerID: 8260

Follow Up By: Mikeys - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00

Michael- Having just seen your follow-up to Flappan, perhaps you should consider other disadvantages to using Muddies as your daily tyre. I think the muddies make the vehicle handling far less predictable, "loose" and it certainly feels like it weighs over two tonnes (which of course it does). I wouldn't want to use them for my everyday tyre. MikeyS
FollowupID: 3945

Perhaps the compound has changed since i think its Michelin took them over, there is a new m/t now as well as a new Ko a/t, thanks for your comments. Michael
FollowupID: 3950

MikeyS, you could be right in regard its probably not worth the pain of more noise , less feel on the road , i'm happy at the moment with wht they do, maybe its not worth the pain. After all i'll be stuck with them for 18 months or more, likt em or not.. Thanks Michael
FollowupID: 3952

Reply By: Member - Graham - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00

hi michael, i have a gxl 80, yes noisy but more on the outside than in.
sound proofing good, after a 100 000k's and as a daily driver i found the muds very acceptible on road and reduced the understeer. i think the main key is tyre pressures i was running 50psi on road, that helped keeping the tread wear square and on tyre rotation to keep the tyre rolling in the same direction on the car for getting the best milage from them. i had a set of a/t's couldn't live with them after 15 000k's tooo much understeer and picking up gravel and chucking it around the guards, went back to the bfg muds so far 10 000k's 14-15mm of tread all on road. hopes this helps
AnswerID: 8267

Thanks Graham, lots more now to consider. Michael
FollowupID: 3953

Thanks Graham, lots more now to consider. Michael
FollowupID: 3955

Reply By: flappan - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00

Just a couple more thoughts after reading the other posts.

Ultimately, its your cash you buy what you feel comfortable with, however I'll expand on a couple of observations. I don't run them on my PJ, I looked at it but I just couldn't get the figures right to warrant them, however I have been in a couple of vehicles that do run them and they are substianally noisier then A/T's, but, they were older vehicles so the sound deadening factor may not come into play. I guess though thats what CD players are for.

The other thing is the tyre pressures. the guys I know run about 30 - 33 psi in their muddies. To run something like 50 psi to keep them square doesn't, to me anyway, sound like a good idea. Possibly around town at 50, 60 kph maybe no big deal, but at highway speeds, I would doubt their lasting ability.

Anyway, I've now chucked in about 5c worth.
AnswerID: 8271

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00

I run 33 BFG MTs the old ones now on the GQ, I run 38psi, couldnt imagine 50! would be like driving on a rock... And when they get hot and the air expands... :-o mayday!

Anyway Mittagong, nice area that used to be out of the way, country! From there to Bankstown, MT's are not the go.

If you want MT's go the cheaper option, go with a second set of rims, ROH Track 2's are around $55ea, that way they will last ages, and you then have the advantage of the better road tires or AT's for the rest of the time. You also get the value out of the MTs, only using on weekends or trips, as they arent cheap, tires are an investment in safety as well...

Only takes me 15mins to change wheels, thats 5. Trolley jack, and air drill are good too :)

Yes my MTs are louder now than they were new, but thats just my opinion.

Tires are one of those things people get in their head (my mate has it stuck that Duelers are the cream!) they want X brand and model, and wont change, but with all the tires out there now, how you can be like that is amazing! Theres more good tires out there now, than ever before.

Any MT will not last as long as a AT on the road, and MTs are not as good as new when 20-30,000klms old. Once the edge has gone, they are not as good.

Coopers
Mickey Thompson
BFG
Dunlop
Bridgestone
ProComp
Simex
Yoko
Goodyear
Toyo
Michlien
Pirelli
etc etc.. Lots to choose from!
AnswerID: 8274

Reply By: Michael - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks to all who posted , I think a new set of a/ts is the go and ill chase a set of spare rims and slowly build a new set of BF m/ts. I got 120,000 out of my first set with some tread to spare so i dont really want to halve that with extra noise and less grip on the black stuff. Thanks to all.. Regards Michael
AnswerID: 8279

Reply By: kezza - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00

Some quick facts

Worth having if you do enough offroad but BFG ATs only degrees less efficient depending on the driver and the hill or the mud.

- bfg MT KMs compound has changed, its softer but tougher will actually melt at high temperature rather than burn resists small chipping but you can still gouge chunks out of em but they dont chop up like the harder more brittle compounds (If anybody has driven the gravel tracks with the big sharp volcanic 2" gravel to the east and south of Glen Innes youll know what I mean)

- better grip on wet bitumen,

-tread sits flatter is quieter but gets noisy when wear is uneven - so proper INFLATION and ROTATION is key to keeping em in good shape,

-Rumour has it that they are prone to sidewall damage but Ive had no problems at all (say no more)

- Better wear and they seem to be lasting very well for MTs (I'm on target for 70-80000ks from this set). Not ideal road tyre by far but as good a compromise as youll get at the moment.

Heres one review I found when doing my homework http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/bfgmtkm/index.asp

I dont bother using 2 sets of tyres unless Im doing lots of highway (I live on property and utilise them a lot so my usage is very different to most urban folk) Its all a compromise, - the ATs are fine - you really only need the muddies 2% of the times you think you do (We have 2 patrols with bfgs, 1with a/ts, 1with m/ts). The MTs obviously get further in the real rough than the ATs (why else have em), its just cause they are now so good on the road that I dont bother changing over tyres.
another 2 cents worth
Kez
AnswerID: 8284

Follow Up By: Michael - Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00
thanks Kezza for your imput, i think i might stick to the A/Ts for the time being, i'mnot really having a problem,just thought i might like to try the M/Ts. The A/Ts are really easy to look after and hold their shape without any special attention. From some of the posts, the M'T can go down hill if you dont watch them. Thanks again Michael
FollowupID: 3992

Follow Up By: Janset - Friday, Nov 08, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 08, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks Kezza.

Just what I was looking for also.

I am at present running on Goodyear AT and have had a very good and long run from them. I still have about 1/3 tread and I would be approaching about 60, 000km, but then I have a slight advantage also, I use a 6 wheel rotation.

I intend next to get the BFG MT as I definitely find that the AT let me down in any condition where chunkie tread is required. In mud, no need to comment. On rock crawling, great until I have to put the power on and then they tend to spin on the surface rather than grip.

Otherwise I recommend them.

The bottom line in my case I think is that they only let me down when I go 4WD with the club and the only real consideration for anyone in my circumstances should really be, does this short fall warrant the expense of switching to an aggressive pattern tread and be stuck with it for every day use?

An extra set of wheels certainly makes sense if you can afford it, I can't, but I still think that will be the way that I go.

Regards
FollowupID: 4012

Sponsored Links