Engine work/performance upgrade for Rodeo 3.2ltr V6

Submitted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 08:39
ThreadID: 23051 Views:9901 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi and congrat's on such an excellent site.

I own a 2001 Rodeo 3.2ltr V6 Sport 5 speed dual cab which is in immaculate condition. I bought it brand new and I have always been more than happy with its performance as I do a lot of highway driving and it has great "get up and go". It's my everyday work vehicle, and came with flares, side steps, electric windows, 10 stack CD player, A/C as factory since it's the "Sports" and I've fitted it out with the following

TJM T15 highly polished bullbar
Lightforce 240 Blitz driving lights
IPF 840 Fog lights
Ramsey 9500lb fully electric winch
IPF Headlight upgrade
Hayman Reeece rear bar
Uniden 100ch scanner
Tait 2020 UHF CB
Mobile phone hi-gain car kit
Custom sheepskin seat covers front and rear
Flexiglass Challanger colour coded canopy
BFG AT's 245/70/16's
Replaced the standard Sports 16 x 7" wheels with a set of CSA's Stampeed with black on the insides
Window tinting, lights protectors, bonnet protector, fire extinguisher etc

The engine now has 175,000km on it, albeit all highway driving but I was looking to give it a freshen up. It has been serviced at service intervals, but I like to freshen things up when my vehicles reach 200,000km just to be on the safe side, especially since I'm planing on towing now all over the country. I know the current Rodeo's have a lot more torque than mine does. I was wondering does anyone know if a current Rodeo V6 will slip straight into mine, OR can I build mine to the same specs? If I go the new/current V6 route OR rebuild mine to the same specs what can I do computer wise to run it? Finally who would you recommend do the work, especially in S.E. Q.L.D. (would look at going to another state tho if the workmanship was right) as there is no shortage of dodgy people in the automotive game in S.E. Q.L.D. I'm after the torque as I do carry a load in the tray, and I plan on using the vehicle soon as a tow vehicle for a race car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance for your help, comments and information
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 09:54

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 09:54
Not wanting to come across as a smarta**, I have 2 mates with '01 and '02 Rodeo's. One has a Tambo the same as mine, weighs in at around 800kg. With that on he is using about 18-20l/100km, he thought something was way wrong so on a camping trip these two swapped vehicles and roughly the same fuel usage was observed. With that in mind, and with power gains from tickling your existing engine most likely leading to higher usage, is it the right vehicle to tow a race car with? Also his HR Hitch has it's maximum towball download stated as 125kg, will this (if it is actually the max) be enough to keep you legal with the car and gear on the back?

Blue
AnswerID: 111586

Follow Up By: Utemad - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 13:32

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 13:32
My Rodeo has a 120kg/1800kg towbar. Not the best tow vehicle in that regard.

There are Tunit or Safari type chips available for the V6. Might be worth looking into.
FollowupID: 367978

Follow Up By: Zaino Aus - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 17:07

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 17:07
It will tow what I need to fine. I'd rather spend up to $8000 on making the engine better rather than selling it at a ludicrious wholesale price of $20,000-$25,000 and then having to start again and it costing me $60,000 by the time I get a new Rodeo and kit it all out as I have done with this one.

I didn't think it would be to hard, considering the current 3.5ltr Rodeo's use the same engine (Well I think it's the same engine), it's just been bored out more in the block with some different internals etc giving it the better torque. The extra 10kw doesn't worry me as it's the torque I'm after and that's where the new 3.5ltr V6's have it all over the 3.2ltr V6's. The biggest problem is the engine management computer as I can't find anyone that knows about modifying the Rodeo's ECU.

Yes the V6's are thirsty, but so are most petrol 4wd's of any decent capability.
FollowupID: 368012

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 12:41

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 12:41
The easiest way to get more grunt out of the 3.2v6 is to open up the feed to the airbox, fit a finer filter etc. , then fit a set of headers which dont have the factory restrictors in them, along with a 2.5 inch free flowing exhaust system.

Bruce Garland used to do up quite a few rodeos like this, he's down in NSW and would be worth a call.

Those v6 rodeos with the manual box do go well with a few mods.
AnswerID: 111783

Follow Up By: Zaino Aus - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 13:13

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 13:13
Thanks for the information. I was looking at doing the exhaust when I did some work to the engine. I've already done the airbox and thinking of putting a snorkle on it.

Would you happen to have any contact details for Bruce Garland at all? His name rings a bell in the automotive circle but I can't recall where from

Thanks once again
FollowupID: 368142

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 10:34

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 10:34
Bruce Garland, the australian rally guru, isuzu racing legend, and nice bloke to boot !!

Bruce Garland
02 4573 6913
0407 208 858
bcgarland@bigpond.com

As far as i know he still runs a workshop in NSW, and would be well worth a visit to get your work done, he may even have the odd ex safari v6 laying around :-)))

see Ya
FollowupID: 368256

Sponsored Links