Media beat up ..... again. Please fight back

Submitted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:13
ThreadID: 23078 Views:2132 Replies:8 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I was sorry to hear about the little girl run over in the school car park by a 4x4. But due to the media hipe it's being blown out of proportion. The Sydney Morning Herald is running a poll on the subject .... and it isn't looking good. Please go to the site and vote.
,/a>
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Brian H (WA) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:13

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:13
Sorry ..... www.smh.com.au
AnswerID: 111710

Follow Up By: Member - Troopytrek - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:38

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:38
Guy's it appears to me that we are all being targeted here.
I think we really all need to stick together on this issue.

I myself have children attending school and have a real need for the use of a 4x4 for everyday use for the work we do on the Darling Downs.

We only have the one vehicle that is suitable for use for our type of work and also family use. If they use this poll to ban 4x4 in school zones how many people are going to be affected when it comes down to the convenience of the drop off zone on the way to work.We all know how hectic life is these days.

Another point is where does it all stop.
It is becoming a society that is dictating the way we must conform to live our lives.

regards
Troopytrek

P.S I have placed my vote

FollowupID: 368072

Follow Up By: Member - Clive G (WA) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 23:27

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 23:27
Same here, we have 2 cars both 4WD's, I will not, no matter who says we have to, drop my kids and pick them up 200 meters from the school grounds, also that you cant drive past a school either, you have to find another route, and too bad if you live accross the road from school grounds.

its the most impractical and pathic actions against 4WD.s that ive ever heard, they really must be running out of ideas to get 4wd's of the road.

Clive
FollowupID: 368089

Follow Up By: Exploder - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 18:25

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 18:25
How do you classify a 4WD Centre Diff unlocked (If part time), It’s ok now it is only a 2WD Mr police officer or a people mover so I guess all those soft roaders are really fuc*ed now
FollowupID: 368190

Reply By: John - Qld - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:28

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:28
We're on it Brian. See posts.
I wouldn't panic. This is about the 50th one of these. I think it will be all too hard for the regulators when they get down to tin tacks.
Then again I think I recall that's what they said about seatbelts too...... ummm off to vote again. :)

AnswerID: 111715

Follow Up By: Member - Brian H (WA) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:39

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:39
Sorry, I should have looked first. I, like many, said the gun buy back was a crock to ........ and that cost me $$$$$$. Never underestimate the power of the minority .... especially when it is obsurd.
FollowupID: 368073

Reply By: Lech - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 23:30

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 23:30
The fact is, that the girl has been run over by a careless driver. 4x4 was found a good reason to start an affair. Affairs are the most nutritious feeding for media. All over the world.

Lech
AnswerID: 111727

Reply By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 23:34

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 23:34
I cant believe she only got 250 hours of community service.

That's the REAL outrage.

iMusty
AnswerID: 111729

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 23:37

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 23:37
what should she have recieved?

Considering that the kid was obviously not being supervised.. and nobody here would know the complete facts from all sides.
FollowupID: 368092

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 00:06

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 00:06
The complete facts from all sides?

A child is dead and all the Media are interested in is the vehicle that was driven.

Let's imagine your kid gets knocked over, killed at school. And then the women who accidentally did it comes up with the most acceptable story for you.

How long do YOU think that person should be locked away for?

FollowupID: 368096

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 20:41

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 20:41
When Im round women drivers, or school, my son doesnt get 1 ft away from me. I look after my kids.
FollowupID: 368622

Reply By: Pilbara Wayne - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 00:17

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 00:17
Over 60% of the cars in the teachers car park where I work are 4WD's.

Now who wants to come and look after their own kids at school???? I bet that the teachers at my school will say "Sorry I cant get to work and bring in all the materials that I work on at home, if I cant drive my one and only car (4WD) to WORK!"

I bet that a lot of other remote schools are the same. In fact in WA the remote teaching service schools (and quite a few others) OWN a school 4WD. Do we have to give up on these? Do all remote communities where there are a lot of kids have to give up their 4WD's.....????

Next time there is a bus crash I bet there will be thousands of parents saying "Ban school buses, we'll drive them to school ourselves" YEAH RIGHT!!!!

Some people need to take responsibility for their own actions and the actions of their kids.

Now propose that to the Sydney Morning Herald and I bet they dont even run it in their classified section let alone front page.

Cheers

Wayne

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 111731

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 04:31

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 04:31
yet more dribble from the Sydny morning Herold. Do people actually still buy it. If its not 4wds its bullbars etc dont actually see much relevance in anything that would come from sydny as It would seem that most of the inhabitants have little idea what goes on outside of their vast sprawling metropolis (E O contributers would be an obvios exception) and I feel sorry for any person trying to conduct their life within in the true Australian way without some damn do gooder commie,homo,pinko,vego type minority group complaining about there right to 4wd, fish, hunt, own pitbulls or just generally excape the smog and have a good time - sorry but I really wonder what those #$%ankers sms ing in their votes actually do for fun (or otherwise)
AnswerID: 111736

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 12:38

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 12:38
The Sydney-centric view probably has something to do with the fact that 1 in 4 Australians live in the bloody place.........and just like the yanks believe that nothing exists outside the US so too seem the thought processes of those with the loudest voices in Sydney.

Missiles.....loaded..............and launched.
FollowupID: 368135

Reply By: Troll83 - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 08:05

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 08:05
I have send chanel 7 this email......this morning.......about the poll they have on there...is it fair enough to say........

I am so sick of hearing about this...it's never going to change. It's not the 4x4 owners responsibility to look out for other peoples children. I drive a big 4x4 and use it all the time to go places where normal cars can't go, to relax up the beach or to explore this country. The plan to get a special license might be a good idea for people starting off using a 4x4 for the first time or who are just using the 4x4 to pick up the kids from school. But for people that's been doing 4x4 for years now have a special skill that you learn over the years...control, when you go down a steep slope up the beach or down a mountain you take special care and look everywhere, I am sure the people that's been using a 4x4 for years to do 4x4 stuff have a much better record not hitting anything. If you can't see behind your car install some parking sensors...that's some cheap insurance ($170) for in case someone smalls walks behind your car or next to your car...this is a issue that could go on and on and.
What about people with mini fans? They have the same problem as 4x4 post of them are same length or even longer/higher, are they going to get a special license....please it's out of control....basic look after your kids and the world will be better place for drivers and parents
AnswerID: 111746

Reply By: Ray Bates - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 09:38

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 09:38
What about trucks and school buses? They have less visability than 4WDs are you going to ban school buses from parking near schools?
My mum never took me to school except for the first day when I was 5. but then there were less cars on the road
AnswerID: 111760

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 10:28

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 10:28
I used to drive buses and when doing school runs it was a constant battle to park on the stop because of the "caring" Mums wanting to sit right outside the door to pick the kids up.
What's wrong with parking a couple of hundred metres away and walking to the school gate, picking the kids up and then walking back to the car!
Reading this mornings daily rag I see the WA 4WD Association is backing special licences and training for us all! ABSOLUTE CRAP.
What sort of an association is that? Do they really think that will stop the constant whinging and moaning from all who don't have a 4by?
In that case what about a special licence for all vehicles over the size of an Excel then?
Most of the drivers of Excels have licences already and what difference has that made to their driving?
I sometimes feel that if you have a gun you're obviously a homicidal maniac and it's getting the same way about 4 wheel drives, we're selfish bastards who are ruining the planet and obstruct the vision of idiots most of whom shouldn't have a licence in the first place.
FollowupID: 368127

Follow Up By: Exploder - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 18:13

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 18:13
Yes why can’t they walk the 200 meters to the car it is called exercise something kid’s are apparently missing out on today.

Special license how would you police that pull every 4WD over and check their driver’s license now I have a C, HR-B and a bike license now would this entitle me to drive a 4WD I would hope so.

What is different to a 4WD compared to a car it is Heaver, higher/, slower (In some cases) and they handle a little different once you get over the first 2 and maybe 3 for some. What could you get out of a separate license, to pass a driving test all you have to do is drive like a granny (sorry if that offended) and stick to the road rules and pass the stupid little games they play with you, it does not test your skill or ability to control the car, now how do you learn this Get out there and do some driving
FollowupID: 368188

Sponsored Links