Ox Hydraulic Winch vs WARN vs Premier

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2315 Views:12695 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am considering to get a winch (Warn, Ox or Premier)for my GQ. Ox hydraulic is currently my 1st choice as it is the only hydraulic winch using PS pump on the market (No worry of flat the battery). Warn is 2nd as the reputation but it can't do lots of winching continuously without risking of overheating or flat battery
Premier is 3rd choice as the price is really attractive

I intend to use it occassionally (once a month). But will intensively use it on the day. I also prefer as less maintenance required as possible on winch.

Can anyone give me opinion on which is good to invest?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00
What do you do with a hydraulic winch if your car is underwater with the motor off?

They all have their downpoints.

At least with Warn, you can use it to get out.. And if your going to have a
winch, you will have dual batteries anyway, so thats not a problem..

Warn has a good name for a reason.

High mounts are good for competition where seconds matter, other than that they have good wank value... OH I HAVE A HIGH MOUNT DRIBBLE DRIBBLE..

I bought a 10,000 Warn Low Mount out of tradingpost, and LOVE it, used it a few times already.

You will be suprised how little you will use it... Most forsale second hand are $1000 off new, and used 2-4 times.

A winch is no substitute for honed driving skills either.

Warn-> Brawn -> Prem -> then Ox.
AnswerID: 8286

Follow Up By: Mr Bean - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00
Hey Truckster,
I'm not trying to upset you, but have you ever used your Warn while its submerged underwater?

The laws of physics are reasonably clear on this, "Water and electric engines don't like each other" . Also if you have submerged it you should pull it off the car, pull it apart and service it before you try to use it again. It is also recomended that this be done as a matter of course every twelve months.
FollowupID: 4106

Reply By: Benna - Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00
Hi

an Ox winch will pull all day, where a electric winch will have 15 min max, before overheating and flat battery.
As for in water with engine off, well you bleeped anyway I reakon. If your gonna use a winch intensivly for one day, then the choice is to get a ox Winch, Intensive use and all day does not equal electric wich.

As for in water and stuck, bring a hand winch as well. With this combo you will be unstoppable.

Ben...

Also try PTO winches they run off engine power as well, so if you are getting a Ox winch you are in the same boat as an PTO (ie no engine power=no winch).... Check prices... Dont know much details
AnswerID: 8307

Follow Up By: Iamgq - Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00

Yes,
Ox winch pull all day long without any worry. I think it would be very unlikely for my diesel gq with snorkel fitted stop in deep water with engine off (drown) as i do not tackle any deep water crossing like we need to in outback.

I will consider your suggestion to put a Ox and get a handwinch as supplement.

FollowupID: 3985

Reply By: rojac - Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00

hydraulic off the ps will be slow,try hydraulic off a dedicated pump and resivor thru the pto $$$ but will out preform elecetric.. as far as drowning your motor and no power to run the winch, then it beomes obvious that you didn't plan your crossing as well as you should have:))
AnswerID: 8321

Follow Up By: Iamgq - Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks Rojac.
Different winch suit different need. Hydraulic winch is more suitable to me. How much would be around to get a PTO winch ?
FollowupID: 3995

Reply By: mike - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00
I think you are better off with an electric winch purely for cost.
No point in going for a pto driven hydraulic winch as they realy don't have any advantage over mechanical pto especially cost saveings.
I would be amazed if a ox winch will pull all day without overheating or pump faulure. If you realy want to spend some money go for a belt driven pump off the front pully. cost ? pump/clutch//valves/hoseing tank
electrics ect about $1900 8000ld hydraulic winch about $3000. labour not included. Thats for about 6hp of winch power. If you want 30hp about $10000 no labour. I' built a few & I'd still have a electric winch on my cruiser.
AnswerID: 8492

Sponsored Links