safari snorkel

Submitted: Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 15:53
ThreadID: 23179 Views:2111 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
gid'ay all
safari reckon rain does'nt get into their snorkels due to the desing of the ram head,as i have no drain hole on the air cleaner,this causes me some concern,i have checked the air cleaner body after light rain,seems to be okay,never been thru down poors ,what do youse' reckon
regards toohey.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 16:06

Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 16:06
I know for afact that the genuine Donaldson ram doesn't let water down the snorkel, I ran one on the troopy for over 15 years and never got any in it, even pointed the hose at it once while the engine was doing a fast idle and nary a drop made it to the aircleaner.
The Safari ones look like a close copy but some of the others I would be suspicious of.
If you go to the Donaldson site there is a diagram of the airflow and the shape of the ram which causes the air/water to hit the sides of the ram seperating the water off and running it out the four slots down the sides. The pipe inside must go right up to the bumps otherwise it won't work correctly.
AnswerID: 112205

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 17:32

Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 17:32
An agent in SA (not the manufacturer) told me that the slots around the base of the Ram head are to let the water out - so as far as he is concerned it must get in ! Mind you, Safari don't talk to their customers - maybe they don't even talk to their agents ! I have a drain in the filter box and because I use a greasy Unifilter, water drops aren't going to get in I guess - an immersion would be something else of course.
AnswerID: 112211

Reply By: govo - Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 19:17

Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 19:17
Hi Toohey...l've had a Safari on all my 4wds and never had a problem with water getting in..quiet recently while traveling home i encounted a very heavey downpour and had to reduce speed to about 20 kph, when i got home i checked out the filter and it was bone dry.
AnswerID: 112226

Follow Up By: Member - toohey - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 16:46

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 16:46
thanks all for the info,regards toohey
FollowupID: 368596

Sponsored Links