camper trailer on Old Ghan Track

Submitted: Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 19:13
ThreadID: 23184 Views:3913 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if any one knows if you can take a camper trailer from finke to alice springs via chambers pillow? suspension rebound springs.
Cheers Greendog.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 19:16

Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 19:16
Chambers Pillow? Yes, should be no problems at all, if it is an offroad CT?
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 112224

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 19:28

Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 19:28
Took my Trak Shak in there a couple of years ago. No problems at all. The road to Chambers was possibly the worst corrugations I have ever driven on, so take it easy.

Again I would only take a purpose built off road trailer. Also you should get to youre campsite early, especially with a trailer.

Duncs
AnswerID: 112228

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 19:33

Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 19:33
Have you checked out the June edition of Overlander as this trip appears fairly well covered by National mag standards
AnswerID: 112229

Follow Up By: peter in sa - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 15:10

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 15:10
Thanks Davoe i'll havw alook at the mag cheer's mate
FollowupID: 368590

Reply By: Tony J - Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 20:22

Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 20:22
Hi Peter,

My wife and I travelled from Alice to Rainbow Valley and then to Chambers Pillar (not pillow:) )the "back way" via the new Ghan service track (directions given to us by a Nat Park Ranger) and down to Finke via the Old Ghan last year with an off-road camper trailer. We had rebound springs with shockies. The part where the Finke Desert Race is held was 'interesting' for a while, then switched back onto the old train track. Reasonable going, not difficult, some corregations. Don't be in too much of a hurry and you'll be fine. Some great scenery, a bit of history, some unusual stuf (like a bloke on a push bike with a trailer!!! He did it hard! - wish we had took a photo). If you go to Rainbow Valley, have a look in the bushes near the viewing platform for a brown leather hat. My name is inside it but not my address. I sat it in a tree to take some sunset photos and didn't think of it again untill we got out of the car at Chambers Pillar. Anyway, Check out your trailer suspension before you travell, take a few spares and don't be in too much of a hurry on the rough stuff and its quite do-able.
regards
Tony J
AnswerID: 112232

Follow Up By: peter in sa - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 15:30

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 15:30
Thanks Tony for the reply we are just trying to work out our trip on which way to go from Dalhousie Springs with the C/T, i allso wanted to include palm valley on our way to the Alice and from there we would probally go to Boulia and Birdsville via the PLENTY HWY and DONAHUE HWY, so were are hoping them roads are ok as well.cheer's GREENDOG
FollowupID: 368591

Reply By: Member - Barry W (VIC) - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 21:14

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 21:14
Hi Peter
We followed the old Ghan rail line from Alice to Port Augusta 2 yr ago with a camper trailer with r/bound springs had no problems taking our time.
The only rough bits were the section the Finke racers used we went w/end after race pretty chopped up and as previously mentioned really corragated out to chambers pillar but agreat trip.
Good luck
Barry
AnswerID: 112359

Reply By: Member - Gary W (VIC) - Monday, May 23, 2005 at 13:16

Monday, May 23, 2005 at 13:16
Went from Maryvale to Finke on the old Ghan last year with CT - most of it was like a sandy highway easily travelling 70-90kph for most of it. Watch out for the old railway spikes! - I understand the corrigations can get pretty bad though which will change the color of the trip quite a bit.

Enjoy yours

Gaz
AnswerID: 112424

Follow Up By: Member - Gary W (VIC) - Monday, May 23, 2005 at 13:18

Monday, May 23, 2005 at 13:18
BTW Here's a photo

[ View Image]

Gaz
FollowupID: 368689

Reply By: kimprado - Monday, May 23, 2005 at 15:05

Monday, May 23, 2005 at 15:05
Hi Peter,
Be aware, the section adjacent to Maryvale Station and Finke can have some of the worst corrugations you are ever likely to encounter up North, particularly after the race.
As with any track, conditions vary enormously. So it is best to seek local knowledge just before you leave.
We were planning to be in the area a few years ago and rang the manager of Mt Dare Station on an unrelated matter. During the conversation, we were told they had just received nine inches of rain. Under those circumstances we needed to set back out our departure date.
Regard
Kim
AnswerID: 112430

Sponsored Links