Flags - for the Simpson Desert

Submitted: Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 13:00
ThreadID: 23199 Views:6498 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Dear all,

well.............. i am finally attacking the Simpson Desert on my bike with a 4WD back up and hopefully the trip of the lifetime .

I am having great difficulty in obyaining one of those "orange colored" flags that i suspect is mandatory in tackling sand dunes , so the other artry on teh other side has soem chance of seeing you .

i live in Brisbane Qld and i ask any assitance on
- are they useful (i assuem that they are?).
- where can one get one as we are having difficulty in getting one.
- what are they worth .
- has anyone got any recent OR past experiencedss that thye may be able to share re the S.Desert .

Our crossing is from West to East by the way (i am told thsi is the easier route) the again i am on a bike and that shoudl not make things difficult for me

Any help woudl be graetly appreaiatted

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 13:44

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 13:44
There are plenty of posts on this topic on the site just do a search. I will quickly answer your questions as best I can.

Yes they are useful especially on a bike. If you come over a dune and hit my bull bar you will lose. Even if I hit you, you will lose. The sooner I know you are there the sooner I can start avoiding you.

Make one yourself. An old beach rod would make a good pole, and you can break it down into smaller sections to carry from Brisie. Make the flag up out of any old material you have lying around, old sheets, t shirts anything, just make it bright. Then when you need it just cable tie it in an appropriate place near the front of the bike.

I am not sure of the range of your bike on a tank of fuel but I travelled 600km form Mt Dare to Birdsville. We did not go the direct route, but if you look at the trak notes section on the home page of this site it too should give you some idea of the distances involved. The other thing I would recommend is a UHF with a scanning mode so you can listen for other vehicles on the trak. It is not fool proof but like I said before the sooner you know they are there the better. Bike vs bull bar means a win to the bull bar.

Finally make sure your kidneys are well attached 'cause there are plenty of bumps whichever way you go.

Duncs
AnswerID: 112288

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 14:40

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 14:40
Yes re the flag - my mail says its a big issue re safety - there are several ways to make your own (I don't use one - yet) but the 4WD shops all seem to have something on offer. Cheap telescopic fishing poles also have been used by some (can be folded away). Only last night on VKS737 HF, I heard a member describing a very close shave on a sandhill, on the way into Chamber's Pillar I think (maybe Rainbow Valley). Just the one simple mishap can ruin a holiday and "luck favours the well prepared!".
AnswerID: 112295

Reply By: Mark - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 17:57

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 17:57
Check your local Bicycle shop for one of those oranges flags, they usually sell them for those 3 wheel things.
AnswerID: 112315

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 18:06

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 18:06
KTM, to be honest in my 7 crossings of the simpson & 2 on the Canning I don't ever remember seeing a single motor bike with a flag fitted. I'm not saying they wouldn't be handy but suspect fitting a flag of sufficient length would be difficult on a bike & probably would only keep hitting you on the head & braking each time you dropped it.
They aren't mandatory but highly recomended for 4x4s.
More important for a bike than any flag is to resist the temptation to launch yourself off the tops of the dunes as often a 4x4 will be coming the other way.
West to East is really no easier but is the direction the majority travel so you'll get less oncoming traffic.
If you can fit a UHF with headset inside your helmet you will get some warning from about half of the convoys who use channel 10.
Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 112318

Reply By: John - Qld - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 18:07

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 18:07
In Brisbane, seen them at Extreme 4x4- Browns Pains (3809 0911) - I think they were about $99 dollars - 3mt collaspible to a 1mt.

AnswerID: 112319

Reply By: mfewster - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 18:09

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 18:09
You might want to check this site http://www.sdcc.org.au/
It gives details of an annual across the Simpson pushbike event. Plenty of info also on the site. Could be a good way to do it and not have to use a flag as the track will be cleared in front of you. Helps a very worthwhile charity at the same time. The whole event is great fun.
AnswerID: 112320

Reply By: Trev88 - Monday, May 23, 2005 at 14:59

Monday, May 23, 2005 at 14:59
To the lucky bastrard

Red flags try www.outbackideas.com.au

they sell them over the net saw the ad in 4WD Monthly

Have fun and dont become some off road traction under the tyres of a rig.

Look forward to reading how you went when you get back.

regards

Trev88
AnswerID: 112429

Sponsored Links