Bogged at America River Near Pt Wakefeild

Submitted: Monday, May 23, 2005 at 14:49
ThreadID: 23232 Views:1834 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
A note for anyone palnning to go fishing down there.

A mate of mine (na true, not me) went 4WD down the track to American River Friday and got stuck good and proper (3lt TD Patrol). He ended up after an unsuccessful snach attempt by the tow opperator on a 40 deg angle drivers door in the mud.

Thanks to one of the local farmers and a big tractor and he is out all be it $400 lighter ($100 for the unsuccessful tow truck driver and $300 to the farmer)

The farmers comment was he would not take the tractor down there as the mud has no bottom (this is 1000 mtrs from the river). the tide comes in and the clay absorbs the water like a sponge below the ground. As it was the farmer used over 100mtrs of cable to pull him out.

My mate (ya realy not me) said he was kicking up dust and within 200 mtrs was stuck.

the local tow operator commented he thought the track should be closed off given they have had no rain to speak of and the mud is that thick it must turn to tihs in winter.

Just thought i would let you know so you can make a donation to the greenies or somthing with the money you save not getting stcuk on the America River track at Pt Wakfield

See

Trev88
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: WDR - Monday, May 23, 2005 at 20:41

Monday, May 23, 2005 at 20:41
I remember getting bogged there 40 years ago in my VW. Not much changes.
There used to be great crabbing there if you could stand the mud up to the tops of your thighs and the associated bites, rashes and other nasties. We used to find the crabs by stepping on them in the mud (wearing sandshoes of course) and then reaching down to get them (used to get nipped a bit too I think)
AnswerID: 112486

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 20:28

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 20:28
Pt Wakefield - isnt that the place you go through on the way to somewhere else?
AnswerID: 112654

Sponsored Links