GPS Coordinates

Submitted: Monday, May 23, 2005 at 16:08
ThreadID: 23237 Views:2085 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings All

Can anybody assist me with the GPS coordinates for Twilight Cove whch is sitauted south from Cocklebiddy on the Eyre Highway in Western Australia ?

Thanks in advance

Macka
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: signman - Monday, May 23, 2005 at 16:15

Monday, May 23, 2005 at 16:15
WGS 84
32 deg 16.164' S
126 deg 02.370' E
AnswerID: 112439

Follow Up By: macka8 - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 21:45

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 21:45
thanks signman
FollowupID: 368865

Reply By: Rod W - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 09:10

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 09:10
Ya can't miss it and ya can't drive any further west along the beach cause the beach runs out and turns into cliffs and water.
AnswerID: 112554

Follow Up By: macka8 - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 21:47

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 21:47
Cheers Rod, I have been told that the track down from Cocklebiddy has a few turn offs from it and that it is not sign posted at all. Macka
FollowupID: 368866

Follow Up By: Rod W - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 09:59

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 09:59
Macka, I haven't used the track from Cocka going. I used the track further east that goes into Eyre Bird Observatory (which is a must see). The first 18k's is a well maintained gravel road cause it services the repeater tower (I believe the track from Cocka comes in here as well), then the track drops down on the side of the escarpment to the sand plains/ridges below. Whilst you're on this track take the track to the left/east to the Burnabbie ruins, the well is feat of construction in itself.

There is a web site for the observatory with lots of info. If the Keepers know you are coming they will make themselves available (subject to their observation programs) to advise on the history, observations and even a Devonshire tea (you pay for that). They may also provide a mud map to Twilight Cove and the track back out from there up the sand hills, which in some sections have a quagmire of sidetracks.

I've been to Twilight Cove twice. The first time (early October) there was Dad, Mum and Baby whale just off the beach. The second time (another year late December) a Seal was on the beach, there were also some People researching a Penguin colony that live about 2k's further along the cliff face. The people had to time low tide perfectly to walk/run/wade to the colony otherwise they were trapped until the next one.

From Twilight is was back out to the highway and on to Caiguna, dropping down from there to Baxter's Memorial and then following the track along on top of Baxter’s Cliffs (100m high). There are only a couple of locations with access to the cliff face/ocean. The views are absolutely spectacular and if you have a perfect weather wise day then its even better. Then down the jump-up and an 80ks beach run to Israelite Bay. There is a part beach run and then inland track to Israelite Bay (the old telegraph line track) but on my second trip I missed that signpost.

The ruin of the telegraph building at Israelite Bay is quite spectacular. It must have been a magnificent building in its heyday plus the other ruins in the area that are in amongst the vegetation.

Enjoy you trip.
FollowupID: 368915

Sponsored Links