SLIPPING OUT OF 5TH GEAR

Submitted: Friday, Nov 08, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2326 Views:1579 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
HI I RECENTLY BOUGHT A BJ42 AND I AM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE GEAR STICK DROPPING OUT OF 5TH GEAR WHEN THE ENGINE IS NOT UNDER LOAD,OTHER WISE ITS RUNNING FINE. WOULD ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON WHAT THE PROBLEM COULD BE AND HOW TO FIX,COST ETC. THANK YOU PAUL.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: royce - Friday, Nov 08, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 08, 2002 at 01:00
My guess is that it didn't originally have a five gear box and that it has been added. If so then the rubber around the stick will be putting pressure on it so that it will pop out at easy revs. Pull off the rubber and go for a drive. It might just stay in. Cheers Royce
AnswerID: 8339

Follow Up By: Janset - Saturday, Nov 09, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 09, 2002 at 01:00
Paul, this may give you an idea.

Some of the earlier troopies in my 4WD club suffered the same problem sometimes when they were either coasting down hill in any particular gear and most noticeable when they were using the engine as a break down steep bush gradients .

Apparently the problem was caused by the gearbox/transfer case rocking on the mounts. The linkage at the side of the box connecting to the chassis would move throwing it out of gear. They all overcame the problem by fitting a brace from the gearbox to the chassis/body. I think they utilised a nut/stud somewhere on the top of the gearbox bracing it to the chassis to prevent the roll.

Ask at some 4WD outlet that has been around for some time, they may be able to help you as to where or how to get one.

Sorry I can't help more.

Regards
FollowupID: 4022

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Saturday, Nov 09, 2002 at 01:00

Our work 100series does exactly the same. Coasting, then go to accelerate and it jumps from 5th to neutral.

Regards
Slunnie
FollowupID: 4026

Reply By: Ryan - Saturday, Nov 09, 2002 at 01:00

Hi,
I own a BJ40 and id love to own a BJ42! Great 4WD! especially if looked after.

A Great place to ask any questions regarding landcruisers, espectially 40/42 series ones, is www.sor.com/forum

People from all over the world go there and they will definetly be able to help you

Ryan
AnswerID: 8351

Reply By: royce - Saturday, Nov 09, 2002 at 01:00

I'VE GOT THE ANSWER .. I think.... My brother-in-law 'knows all' about these things. He reckons it might be the nylon washer or bush at the base of the gear stick in need of replacement BUT IT'S MUCH MORE LIKELY TO BE..... The fifth gear which is a sleeve that fits over the others. It is pushed in about 5mm and wears out. You need to pull the thing to bits and add a spacer or washer to it or a stronger spring so that the gear or cog pushes in further... That's how I understand things. I've just got back from a big family 'do'. My cousin from England is visiting and I'm typing this in after a late night, few wines etc. I kept in mind to ask him.... hope this is of some help. Cheers Royce
AnswerID: 8352

Reply By: paul - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE FOR THERE MUCH APPRECIATED REPLIES,HOPEFULLY I CAN SORT OUT THE PROBLEM NOW.
CHEERS STEVE.
AnswerID: 8401

Sponsored Links