Grease

Submitted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 08:10
ThreadID: 23279 Views:1837 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there

I had a look under my GU yesterday and noticed that I don't have any grease around that ball the wheel turns on....sorry forgot what it's called now. I have a feeling that should be all greased up?? I turned the wheel all the way to one way and there is no grease and I mean by no grease I ran my finger over it and it came out clean as......not sure if that's the way it should be or not? Any advise would be appreciated. I also want to grease other areas of the car but not sure where to begin...any tips??

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 09:19

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 09:19
Does your steering feel a bit vague at times ? Do you have FWH and when you put them in the steering becomes a bit better? How long since you had a front end repack ?
AnswerID: 112734

Reply By: Troll83 - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 09:25

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 09:25
The steering is fine and I don't notice that anything is wrong when I drive. I have only had the car for about 2 monhts so can't answer all your questions sorry.
AnswerID: 112737

Reply By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 11:50

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 11:50
Mines dry as a dead dingo donga. And that's with only 23,000 on the clock.
AnswerID: 112768

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 12:02

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 12:02
It's normal for that ball joint to not be greasy....no worries.

As for the other grease points........Nissan does not provide any greasable joints on the steering arms/joints on the GU, but if you have a GQ you will find there are either grease nipples or small bolts which can be removed and replaced with nipples on the steering joints.

As well as that, there are 6 other grease points.......one on each uni joint (ie: where the 2 prop shafts leave the transfer case and where they enter their respective diff housing and also along the length of of each prop shaft there is a grease nipple for the slip joint.

So if you have a GU, there are only 6 grease points (that I know of) and if it's a GQ there are 4 others (from memory).

Roachie
AnswerID: 112773

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 12:27

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 12:27
Roachie, you may be able to answer this (a small hijack!) but how do you remove a stuborn grease nipple??

The lower ball joints on the surf have a nipple fitted with a 90 degree angle on each side. Unfortunatally the angle is such that you cannot get the grease gun onto the nipple. I've tried everything down to a hammer and screw driver to try and turn or losen these things but can't work out how to do it!!

In the book it says that the grease nipples need to be fitted and removed at each service on the ball joints, however these have obviously been fitted and never taken out, now I can't get them out for love nor money!!

So obviously I've never greased the lower ball joints since I've had it and I doubt anyone else has either, I can imagine the mechanics putting it in the "too hard basket".
FollowupID: 368939

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 23:39

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 23:39
Jeff, when I bought my 1993 GQ in 1995, I bought nipples for the steering joints and removed the small bolts and left the nipples in place permanently. Never had any probs at all.
I would say that if you want to remove them and can't do so with a spanner etc, then the only alternative I can think of would be to cut them off and use an "EZYOUT" to get the rest of it out. They make them in pretty small sizes, but I'd be checking that I had one on hand before cutting it/them off, eh!!
Good luck
Roachie
FollowupID: 369090

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 19:07

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 19:07
Thanks mate, yeah I would'nt want to be tryin to eazy out them from where they are, they are in such a bitch of a place, covered over by a metal guard... Yick. I had a member message from someone else that suggested a needle type fitting that you can get for the grease gun that you insert into the ball bearing of the nipple, might be worth checking out...

Thanks anyway!
FollowupID: 369218

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 12:21

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 12:21
if they are the same as a cruiser grease on this ball will indicate a pretty fair bill for new seals coming up.
AnswerID: 112774

Reply By: Troll83 - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 13:04

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 13:04
Righto so I have nothing to worry about.....I feel better now. Thanks for the help
AnswerID: 112787

Sponsored Links