Torsion bars

Submitted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 10:13
ThreadID: 23285 Views:1832 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,
I would like to upgrade my Hilux torsion bar has anyone got preference to any manufacturer? If so can give reasons?
thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: floyd - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 13:01

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 13:01
if you are after more lift then simply wind the bar up to the required level. If you are after a better ride then grab a 4WD magazine. There are always about 4 or 5 options for aftermarket kits.

I have a 3 year old duel cab SR5 that has been loaded up with steel bar, side rails, side steps, winch, duel batteries, long range tank and a whole lot more. In fact almost 600 kgs heavier than standard. I have upgraded the 4 shockers and rear springs with OME gear including nitro charges from ARB and have just lifted the standard torsion bars to give more lift. Ride quality did not change, ground clearence got better and I still have almost 2 inches to go. The bars sagged after about 1 year and I just wound them up a bit more. They have settled in about 1 inche higher than standard.

This did not alter the front diff clearance though. If you want more lift for the undercarriage you will have to add over diameter tyres as well as a torsion bar lift. To finish the job all you have to do is get the wheel alignment done so as it drives straight and does not scrub the tyres.

Dont spend money just for the sake of it. If you have a real reason to load the vehicle up more than me then get new bars but from my experience the standard ones have a whole lot of adjustment in them and they are more than adequit. I take a family of 4 with a canopy loaded and a 17 foot boat without any trouble. Standards are pretty good

Remember if you go aftermarket for several inches more lift then the angle changes in the front end will shorten the life of the CV joints. It would pay to upgrade these too as they are a little weak in the Hilux.
AnswerID: 112786

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:39

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:39
Yeah Floyd is right, I've got mine running about 1" higher than stock no problems. 2" is the norm for torsion bar lifts without upgrading, however more than a 2" suspension lift on a lux is probally not neccesary anyway. Just put bigger tyres on! ;-)

If you do end up going more than 2" on the suspension you'd need to fit a ball joint lift as well so that you don't wreck your CV's. There are kits now avil. for the 4runner/surf/ifs hilux on these. My truck's still got the stock shocks from 1995 on it and handles very well with HD Coils and Firestone air bags in the back. We also have a family of four (including one 6 month old and all the associated crap that goes with taking a baby to the bush!) and we even have the kitchen sink!! Still handles very well even at 115km/hr. The shocks are no doubt getting long in the teeth but are not leaking and are still pretty responive so at this point I have no plans on changing them in the near future.
FollowupID: 368968

Reply By: mkmbogart - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 19:39

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 19:39
thanks
AnswerID: 112857

Reply By: Hun - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:08

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:08
Hi

Got a set of Old Man Emu torsion bars on my 2002 hilux,They are thicker and stronger makes for a better ride and handling.

Cheers
AnswerID: 113062

Sponsored Links