Oh no - its scratched!

Submitted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 13:51
ThreadID: 23295 Views:2584 Replies:11 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Been giving a ball lately poking around overgrown tracks but like all good things there is a down side - major scratching now before some of youse get excited and ask me what is it for anyway, It also doubles as my daily driver and pickup machine (as a pickup machine it makes a good 4by) I was wondering if anyone had a good cleaning method. I just use wash and wax which is totally innefective. When I first got it I used t cut polish on it which worked great but there is only so many cut and polishis the paint will stand. the other train of thought is to just give them a standard wash until it comes time to part with them and then give them a really good cut and polish
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 3.0turbob - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:08

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:08
OUCH! The first scratch is always the worst. But cut polish!!. I suppose it dends on how deep they are. When I ge tlight scratches on my white patrol, I just use a "Turtle" polish No. 1. They come out no problem.

Rob
AnswerID: 112799

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:20

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:20
being an ex exploration wagon the body wasnt great to start with so the first sctatches didnt hurt too much. I suspect it has many cut and polishes already which is why i am not too keen on overusing it dont mind the scratches except it is starting to look like the Government utes we used for bush bashing
FollowupID: 368964

Reply By: Member - Paul J (ACT) - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:08

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:08
A few years back i bought a colour matching polish, worked a treat, it hid some pretty bad scratching, i presume you can still buy it...

Cheers Paul..
AnswerID: 112801

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:16

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:16
thats the T cut yes you can still get it and it is great
FollowupID: 368963

Reply By: Skinny- Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:14

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:14
Well it depends on what youhave the most of . Time patients or money?

If you have the money and no time then just bite the bullet when you want to sell.

If you have the time and a little money then I recommend a good cutback then treat with mothers or the like 3 system polish .
1. clean 2. seal. 3 Cannuba wax.
The wax coat takes most bush light scratches and protects the paint until next wax.

You can also buy a scratch coating you paint on, but it is $50 a can and I have not used it.

Skinny
AnswerID: 112805

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:15

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:15
G'day Davoe,

wisdom from lcool (thanks gc)

can you get hold of Maguires "Swirl Remover"? It is a mild abrasive but has filling properties. Afterwards, give it a coat of carnauba wax (from palm fronds) as it will protect the paint and cause branches to 'slide over' the paintwork without digging in.
AnswerID: 112807

Follow Up By: Swine Hunter - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 15:29

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 15:29
Also try Maguires "Scratch -X" is a mild abrasive paste, goes on by hand (hard work as it's thick) and when dry remove like any ordinary wax/polish. Worked well on my WRX before I sold it..
Cheers
FollowupID: 368978

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:20

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:20
Cut and Polish is no good on vehicles with clear coat finishes.

My 5 year old Jack is suffering from severe clear coat breakdown on the roof and mild breakdown on the bonnet. Looks like white patches on the paint finish.

Spoke to a Auto crash repairer and was told it's due to the (poor) quality of clear coat crap used during manufacture. (strike 1 for Isusu)

Will eventually get the roof and bonnet resprayed but at the same time will consider alternative paint finishes. (eg. 2 pack paint, etc.)
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 112809

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 17:22

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 17:22
Sandman,

what do you mean by no.1? If my Jack was a baseball match it would be 'you're out' by now! Having said that, I haven't had any problems with white patches on my bonnet or roof but mine is white!

D-Jack
FollowupID: 368992

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 08:58

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 08:58
D-Jack,

What I mean by "strike 1 for Isuzu" is that the quality of paint used during the manufacture of the vehicle, may very well be OK for Japan, etc., but fails under the Ozzie Sun. Maybe the hole in the Ozone Layer is bigger down here, maybe I just have the wrong colour.

Anyway, I still like the bugger. Does everything I require in a 4BY.

Actually, I'm about to lift him up a bit. Justified it like this:-
I have a camper trailer and have a little bit of difficulty after attaching it to the vehicle. With the jockey wheel wound up as high as possible, I have a problem with the necessary clearance to allow the jockey wheel to be swivelled sideways for travelling. On dirt it's OK, just gouge a groove in the dirt, but on concrete etc., a pain in the bum.

Well I discussed this with SHMBO and said the easiest solution is to lift the Jack a couple of inches, rather than re-weld the jockey wheel higher and she said, "good idea".

So I have justified a 2" lift to allow easily "swivelling" of the jockey wheel. How's that for logic:-))
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 369122

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:31

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:31
I use polyglaze glid on crap. It's easy to put on and off (well compared to a true polish). It doesn't get rid of the scratches but it sure make the car shine from 2 meteres away! ;-)
Then you don't notice them so bad. I guess it probally prevents them a little too as it's mild coating so it'll probally scratch off before the paint does..
AnswerID: 112812

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:45

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:45
When I was young and foolish I too used to polish like mad, every speck of dirt had to go!
Now I'm old but certainly very little wiser, I just let the thing get scratched and dirty and couldn't care less.
The worst things for scratching are those little burnt twigs which go down the side with a high pitched squeal and put my remaining teeth on edge! Very hard to get out.
It'll get a polish up before I sell it but not before.
Happy polishing.
A.
FollowupID: 368970

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:56

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 14:56
I try to keep the surf cleanish. I also give it a polish every couple of months.

1. It's gotta last us at least another 5 years, so keeping the scares under control to a certain extent should prevent external rust.

2. Keeping it clean underneath is a sure way to prevent rust. Nothing rust likes more than some damp mud keeping the chasis rails etc nice and wet.

3. In WA Dieback (Phytophthora cinnamomi) is a major problem in the south west and keeping your car clean underneath is a sure fire way to help prevent the spread of this disease. I'm a fairly resposnsable person and don't intentionally drive through dieback areas, but I have found myself accidently in them before and have always done my best at getting rid of the sand (in which it travels) out from tyres and underbody areas and ensureing there is no foliage on the vehicle, but unfortunatally there are lot's of areas where this diease has spread to that aren't aways marked and it's just good environmental courtsy to keep the rig clean.

Sorry for the preaching!!! But if we don't do these simple things, MORE tracks will be CLOSED!. :-(
FollowupID: 368972

Follow Up By: Rod W - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 17:25

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 17:25
I wondered where they got the cinnamomi that ya sprinkle over ya baked apple and cream... yum
FollowupID: 368993

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 14:12

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 14:12
Mmm, apple pie....
I have to work out how to do some apple pie in the camp oven!

I saw you cleaning under you troopy the other week too, drove past your house to quote a client on an alarm, but was in too much of a hurry to stop and say g'day!

Good to see you keeping the red beast clean underneath!! ;-)
FollowupID: 369175

Follow Up By: Rod W - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 14:49

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 14:49
Well thats one beer I've saved.

I still have to clean out the ton of twigs that get caught in the roofrack.
FollowupID: 369179

Reply By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 17:28

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 17:28
If you keep your vehicle well polished, scratches don't to go as deep and the marks polish out easier.
When going on a scratchy trip a couple of coats of polish before you leave will do wonders when cleaning the vehicle later. Works for me.
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 112830

Reply By: Coops (WA) - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 20:58

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 20:58
Hope you weren't speeding at the time !!!
AnswerID: 112887

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 22:31

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 22:31
yep speeding past a school while bush bashing and shooting roos out the window with an unlicensed pistol with my tyres at maximum psi tearing up the dunes and when I parked up i went to the nearest stream and washed my dishes with detergent then proceded to leave my rubish all over the campsite with my genertator at full noise all night
FollowupID: 369065

Follow Up By: Member - Johno (Gold Coast) - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 22:42

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 22:42
That was you? I was camped next to you and was about to ask you if you had and sugar for my cup of tea, but when I saw the EO sticker on your truck I thought twice. I'd heard of this groups antics previously, how dare you drive past a school in your 4by.
FollowupID: 369074

Reply By: V8Diesel - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 21:49

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 21:49
We used 'Jif' and a sponge (not scourer) on our exploration 75's. Worked a treat.
AnswerID: 112909

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 22:33

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 22:33
nah that is banned now at the survey they prefer to leave them as is and do one big clean up before returning to yhe lease company but scourers do a great job!!
FollowupID: 369066

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 22:38

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 22:38
Our team motto was "don't be gentle, it's a rental"
FollowupID: 369071

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 00:54

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 00:54
not the case these days in tru gvt fashion they have gone for the one size fits all such as they have the same lease arrangement for the bush bashers as for the bosses city vehicles. to cut a long story short it would cost 2wice as much to just return the vehicle as to fix it up to show room condition before returning it which in turn costs 2wice as much as if you just purchased it and sold it as is after 3 years your taxes at work!!
I understand you were contracted to the govt which would explain why you dont understand the total inneficiency of it all
FollowupID: 369094

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 09:19

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 09:19
The mere suggestion that the Government is inefficient and and frequently displays a total lack of ability to recognise the bleedin obvious........I WON'T STAND FOR IT, BY GOD SIR, NEVER!!!!! ;-)

Sounds about par for course...nuthins' changed from the sound of it.

There were a couple of senior Govvie rock licker's vehicles that were only used for the occasional trip and didn't do any BB'ing which would have been a real good buy. LR fuel and water tanks, full barwork, underbody protection, as new and only 30,000km's on the clock. These went in the days when govvie auctions were still run by the government out in Pilbara St, Welshpool - bargains to had then.

Mate bought an ex CALM 3yo Hilux 4x4 for $9,000 and I saw some Police FJ45 Arkana's from some funny division that all had less than 11,000km's on the clock be practically given away.
FollowupID: 369124

Reply By: ThePunter - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 10:09

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 10:09
Here is some interesting reading on the subject and Meguiar's products.
MEGUIAR'S
AnswerID: 112961

Reply By: BenSpoon - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 12:25

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 12:25
Davoe-
Got an air compressor? If you do, go grab yourself a cheap air-powered buffer, or If you are game, get a mains powered one.
Whack a foam pad on it and hit it with the T-cut coloured stuff. Make sure you buff over the tops of corners, and not grinding into them otherwise you'll burn off paint on edges, especially with a mains buffer.
I used to do this on ex rentals to get them to showroom condition and it works a treat. Because you dont have a metallic, you can just brush touch any down to the metal scrapes, then buff over and they look clean as.
If the scratching is really heavy, hit it with a light compound- one of the panel beaters around town should sort you out with a small jar of the pink stuff. Its basically a thick liquid sandpaper, but has no real grit to scratch the paint- a 5000 would be ideal. You can apply it by hand and save the cost of the buffer, but after doing your whole car, you'll have 2 limp arms the next day.
AnswerID: 112988

Sponsored Links