Garmin Quest GPS - Beware

Submitted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 15:31
ThreadID: 23296 Views:6871 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Potential purchasers of Garmin Quest GPS beware. I bought a unit 6 weeks ago and at the time was undecided between the Magellan and Garmin product. The salesman at a well known communications outlet in Adelaide advised there was some excellent new mapping coming soon in the version of City Navigator 6. I spent considerable time with the salesman and believed even if I purchased now the unit would meet my end needs.............that being that I could load the new version 6 for the Aust mainland and the Blue Marine chart for SA...... even if I had to pay approx$150 for the updated ver 6 ( no guarantee on the update being included which was fair enough I thought). Now I find out that the unit doesn't meet my needs because the new version is 132mb before you even consider the local Blue Chart.

Garmin and retailers have released info and marketed the 'new exciting software' but there has been absolutely no mention of the updated Garmin Quest with 243mb of memory for the unit to be really functional.........yes 243mb instead of the now redundant 115mb. This is so you can load all of your maps, City Navigator version 6 and the Optional Blue Chart Marine maps and don't have to muck around putting maps on and off when on a trip.

Apparently the SA distributor knew nothing about the new undated Quest let alone the local retailer. Local distributors are still selling the 115mb version as I write this and knew nothing of the 243mb version until I contacted them today. I am one very dissatisfied Garmin customer ..........don't get caught, buy the updated Garmin Quest for the same price (actually $2 cheaper!) from a well known Oz GPS retailer ..........and for all those who have recently purchased a 115mb unit it is now a redundant model!

cheers Jagg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 16:43

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 16:43
Did the salesman tell you it could take the update? If so you may have the right to demand either a refund or a free upgrade to the new model.

In WA the law is such that if a salesperson describes an item incorrectly it is deemed as missleading and therefore you are entitled to a refund.
AnswerID: 112821

Follow Up By: Jagg - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 18:02

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 18:02
Jeff,

I have spoken withthe salesman and would have to say was up front and honest in his approach; communication has broken down in relation to the product meeting my needs with the version 6 upgrade.

thanks Jagg
FollowupID: 369002

Reply By: peterK - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 17:32

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 17:32
I have been using one for a few months, just missed the release date for version 6 - even if you get version 5 you can download and unlock version 6 or free if you got it after the relaese date (release date was 01/04/2005)

Do you have a link or anything thing thats says you need the 243 one, the website or download guides dont mention it.

I have to say though I am very happy with it, dont find it a problem to toggle maps outside the city areas, but I can understand your frustration.

AnswerID: 112832

Follow Up By: Jagg - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 18:07

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 18:07
Peter,

The only reason I would have waited for the 243mb version is that I intend to load the local Blue Chart and don't want to have to mess around loading different state maps. And when I do a larger trip I will not have all of Aus loaded and don't take a laptop with me to do it as I travel.

thanks Jagg
FollowupID: 369003

Reply By: Niko - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 17:47

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 17:47
Where did you get the information that there is a 243MB version? The unit is not redundant, just means you can't put all of Australia onto the Quest. There is no mention from the Garmin web site of a newer unit with incresed capacity nor from the Australian Distributor Standard Communications (GME Electrophone) in Sydney. I'd advise you to call them (phone number is at www.gme.net.au) As far as I am aware the City Navigator software version 6 is around the 60MB and each chart for bluechart is maybe 16MB? I would advise you to speak to the product manager for Garmin GPS Land products at Standard Comms to confirm this. Standard Communication's branch in Adelaide would know if there was a new Quest with larger capacity. If Standard Communications don't know the dealer you mention as an authorised dealer (of which they would know as all dealers are on a database) then they must be either importing them or buying from an authorised dealer.
AnswerID: 112834

Follow Up By: Jagg - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 18:15

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 18:15
Niko,

City Navigator 6 is about 132mb, ver 5 was around 60 mb.........Check out the GPSOZ site ( I hope I am allowed to give business names?) for all the info on the updated Quest;.......... and yes GME (the Aust supplier) have supplied GPSOZ with the updated units; and the dealer I used is a authorised dealer and no the local distributor knew nothing about the updated units but the National Manager naturally does!

cheers Jagg
FollowupID: 369007

Reply By: Niko - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 21:40

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 21:40
Hmmmmm, someone did say the Metroguide and City Navigator have been added together or something similar which could explain the large size, but I'm also led to believe the POI has increased quite a bit too. It is strange that the Garmin web site doesn't mention this increase in memory size. The largest Garmin dealer in Australia has the old Quest listed still.

I think the word redundant is harsh, just limiting :)
AnswerID: 112904

Reply By: Member - RockyOne - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 08:33

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 08:33
........" obsolescent " adj. becoming obsolete,going out of use or out of fashion (Helps?)
AnswerID: 112951

Reply By: Brian from GPSOZ - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 21:22

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 21:22
The 115MB unit is still a very functional GPS. Yes V6 does take 132MB to load *ALL* of it but it not necessary to do so. With the Quest's USB interface it only takes a few minutes (<5) to completey reload any maps. With Mapsource it is very easy to load just parts of Australia with or without BlueChart. The 115MB model is certainly not redundant. There are no new features in the 243MB model, just more memory.

V6 of City Navigator, has increased coverage (to be slightly better than the current Metroguide), significantly more POI's (600,000 was the number I heard) and a general update in terms of new roads and turn restrictions.

Hope that clears up a few things

cheers
brian
AnswerID: 113498

Follow Up By: barney2803 - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 15:38

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 15:38
to all in the discussion.
I am getting a lot a varying information regarding these garmin quests. I need a navigation system that will give me as accurate as possible street neviagation from both car and on foot (battery power option) and so i can download maps if possible, but also so i can load maps on my lapotop and download way points, and to go 4WDriving also. Is the quest the best for these uses?
I have seen it in stores for $1285, but in web at GPSOZ for example for $1063
Cheers,
Barney.
FollowupID: 369810

Follow Up By: Brian from GPSOZ - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 22:17

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 22:17
The Quest will give you very accurate street navigation. It ships with City Navigator V6 which is based on the latest maps from Sensis. You cannot download your own maps onto the Quest (lets just leave it at that please!!) You can use the quest with Mapping programs like OziExplorer on a PC or Laptop. Ozi supports other maps formats including Topo maps from NATMAP and maps from HEMA. You can load to and from your GPS, tracks, waypoints routes from City Navigator (included) or OziExplorer.

As for pricing - what can I say ;-)

cheers
brian
FollowupID: 370130

Follow Up By: Niko - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 04:33

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 04:33
Barney

The point you have to consider is that Garmin or Magellan products don't allow for "foreign" file formats to be used; in other words you have to use their proprietry Mapsource (for Garmin) or DataSend and Mapsend (for Magellan) in thier GPS units. The only GPS that may or may not stray from this is the new Garmin Quest M5 which is Windows Pocket PC based OS. Availability in Australia is possible but no ETA insight plus no definite information as to what software you can add to it.

The advantage of OziExplorer is that it can be used on a PDA along with Destinator3 if you want the streets etc. The most versatile method you could ever ask for is not from Garmin,Navman or Magellan but HP iPAQ PDAs. The list of GPS units compatible with PDAs and the list of accessories, software plus extended warranties and features such as built-in mobile phone can only be the best solution for any situation.

Not only that, the software you buy is portable, meaning, it doesn't stay (locked-in) with the GPS you originally purchased.

The Garmin Quest and Navman units may look good but really are only dedicated GPS units with their own proprietry software.
FollowupID: 371665

Reply By: Brian from GPSOZ - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 09:09

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 09:09
H Barney (and other)

Some information on the new M5 from Garmin

It will run Windows CE so it should run OziExplorer OK - reports from the USA say its fine
It should be avialable here in Australia early July
RRP A$1279 will include City Nav V6, car kit etc etc
Q - the application that runs on the M5 will be available seprately (for all those with Pocket PC's already)

Seen it, works well !!
AnswerID: 116116

Reply By: Niko - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 00:05

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 00:05
If you want a more detailed and independant write up on the Garmin iQUE M5 I suggest you read the following.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27046

In any event, this invariably leads to excellent prices from overseas such as $560 US ($950AU includes duty GST and freight). Not that I encourage that kind of money saving exercise at all ;)
AnswerID: 116637

Follow Up By: Niko - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 00:14

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 00:14
Remember this doesn't include AU City Navigator but US City Select but not installed, thus sell it on ebay and buy from Johhny Appleseed City Navigator at $349.
FollowupID: 372156

Sponsored Links