Trailer research - where to go?

Submitted: Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 09:12
ThreadID: 23316 Views:2234 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day ExplorOzites, I'm just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction with regards to trailers - I'm looking at buying one second hand, and there is not much out there with regards to pros and cons of different types of trailers in google land.

I will probably need an off road one, as I will be driving the Gove to Darwin road at least once.

Are there any advantages in trying to find a trailer that's been made from a styleside ute tray, or are these just for aesthetics? I have no delusions that I'll be able to make one, although it would be a fun project.

If anyone has some contacts or has done the hard yards in sourcing home-made trailers from ute trays, I'd love to pick your brains.

Thanks, Scott
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troopytrek - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 09:27

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 09:27
G'Day Scottwheels,
Just a couple of suggestions make sure has a good strong chassis & pull e.g. large rhs not angle. Also would advise if it isn't already change your hubs to make same stud pattern & wheel size as your tow vehicle it just means the spares you carry with you can interchange limiting how many spares required to carry with you on your trip.

Troopytrek!!!!
AnswerID: 112956

Reply By: flappa - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 09:45

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 09:45
Your best bet is probably to look at campertrailers.

Who makes what , and construction, suspension etc.

Afterall , most CT's are just a tent on a trailer.

Some CT makers also make Offroad trailers.

Oriens in Melbourne is one I can think of.
AnswerID: 112957

Reply By: Terrano Tripper (NSW) - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:11

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:11
One site we found was www.campertrailers.org

It may provide you with some advise, they also have a forum every thursday night.
AnswerID: 113064

Reply By: scottwheels - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 21:08

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 21:08
Thanks for your advice. I've borrowed a couple of ex-camper trailers from some mates in town, for carting all manner of stuff. They are strong and well made, even though the ones I borrowed had seen better days...

I haven't tried any trailers made from the back of a ute, but I guess it comes down to the chassis and springs, regardless of whether its a converted ute trailer or a purpose built off-road trailer / camper trailer.

Thanks for the contacts, I will do a bit more ferreting to find out more.

G'day Terrano Tripper, always a pleasure to see another T2 owner. Mine's a '98 2.7TDi, and she's had to do some real off road work in where I live in Gove. There are 4 in town here, so when we pass each other on (or off) the road, it's rarer than the "Defender wave" :)

I know it's off topic, but what do you think of the soon to be relased turbo diesel pathy? I'd be interested to see how they go here.

Cheers, Scott
AnswerID: 113080

Sponsored Links