Lamb Shanks in a Dream-Pot

Submitted: Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 18:50
ThreadID: 23332 Views:7313 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Lamb Shanks in a Cobb or Pressure cookersets out ways of cooking lamb shanks.

I tried the cobb with some shanks (roasted) and agree that they need to be moist which was not how the cobb turned them out.

Going through my Dream-Pot recipe book came across this recipe

Mamb Shanks in Rich Tomato Sauce (Cooking time in Dream-Pot 5 hours)

Ingredients
4 Lamb shanks (each cut into 3 or 4 pieces)
4tbsp plain flower (season with salt and pepper)
4tblsp oil
2 cloves garlic
2 onions
2tsp curry powder
2 tblsp sugar
4 tblsp cornflour
salt and pepper
2@400g tins peeled tomatoes
2 tblsp tomato paste
1 tsp salt
1 pinch dried mixed herbs
2 cups hot water

Method
1. Dust the shanks with seasoned flour
2. Brown the shanks in hot oil in a heavy based frying pan. set aside
3. Saute the garlic and onions in a little hot oil in the large inner pot. Ensure the heat is not too high so that the garlic does not burn. Stir continually
4. Mix the curry powder into the garlic and onion
5. qadd the tomatoes with liquid, tomato paste, salt , mixed herbs and hot water
6. Bring to boil, stirring continually
7. Add the lamb shanks.Stir,Cover with lid an dbring back to boil again , stirring intermittently
8. Adjust heat to maintain a continual gentle boil for 15 minutes, checking and still stirring occasionally
9.Transfer into Dream Pot
10. Prior to serving, thicken the liquid and adjust the seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. To do this, remove the lamb shanks. Place the inner pot back onto the heat and bring back to boil, stirring. Add the cornflour (mixed with a little water to make pourable paste). Continue to stir until thickened. Then add the sugar and extra salt and pepper to taste
11 Return the lamb shanks to the sauce , bring back to boil and serve

I am sure that some of the ingredients in the Cobb thread would add to what looks like a tasty recipe.

The beauty of the Dream Pot is that meals can be prepared well ahead and can be eaten several hours after the completed cooking time (5 hours for shanks).

I will definitely give this one a try.

Pedro
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 08:30

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 08:30
5 HOURS!!!

As one who likes a sip of red while I'm waiting for the meal to cook, I would be well and truly p!ssed and have lost my appetite if I had to wait that long:-)))
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 113136

Follow Up By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 09:14

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 09:14
I understand the theory with the Dream Pot is that you get it all to the simmer stage and then just leave it in the Pot and it continues cooking till your ready to eat it.

So you make it at breakfast time and then just leave it in the pot until your ready for dinner. Thats if your still standing if your been drinking from start to finish, LOL.

Carolyn

FollowupID: 369287

Reply By: porl - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 11:00

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 11:00
i spose the trick with a cobb is to put the shanks in a pot that fits in the cobb. I don't have a cobb but am saving, and it definitely looks big enough to take a decent sized pot.
AnswerID: 113163

Reply By: AndrewX - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 00:10

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 00:10
Just remember that the dream pot is not a cooker in the traditional sense. That is, if the only thing you had was a dream pot and cold raw food, then 5 hours later you would still have a dream pot and cold raw food. You must cook the food on a heat source (which the pot does not have) and then the dream pot keeps it hot. It becomes cooler the longer it stays in the pot. It's very important that enough heat is applied to the food to kill bacteria before being put in the pot. One thought, if you went to your local Chinese shop and selected food from their heated display trays would you be happy if they told you it had been there gradually cooling for 5 hours? I wouldn't touch it!!!! Call me silly but I like my food freshly cooked....
AnswerID: 113281

Follow Up By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 13:57

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 13:57
I think you are wrong in your assumptions AndrewX,

Everything I have tried has been not only well cooked but very tasty.

Presently have the dream pot cooking some sweet corn and chicken soup.
Third time this winter , and looking forward to it.

Suggest any doubters check out the webpage , particularly the video on it. at official dream pot site

Pedro
FollowupID: 369557

Sponsored Links