Packing food for 3 weeks

Submitted: Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 19:49
ThreadID: 23335 Views:3425 Replies:11 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
I can't find any postings on what food to pack for a short, long or any trip. I know Men love their food so you must have ideas about what food to pack, (or maybe get your other half to enter a reply)....I noticed there were a lot of replies to a posting about red wine. Well....I know that's important but what about yummies in your tummies.
A group of us are going from Perth, for 3 weeks, to SA, Flinders Ranges, Birdsville track and back to Perth, hopefully via a different route. I like to pack most things before I go and just pick up some meat, veg, milk if we happen to be near a shop.
Do any of you have any suggestions of favourite foods while travelling, recipes, or creative suggestions on packing food.
Stigma
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cito - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:06

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:06
Stigma,

There are a number of great books about this very subject. We got one called Australian Bush Cooking by Cathy Savage & Craig Lewis of Boiling Billy Publications (www.boilingbilly.com.au) for around $20. It is available from all good book stores and tourist information centres. It has excellent menus and suggestions.

Cito
AnswerID: 113060

Follow Up By: Stigma - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 23:33

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 23:33
Hi Cito,
thanks for the website address.
Stigma
FollowupID: 369265

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:10

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:10
Check under the MENU threads also food threads. There's heaps of ideas.

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 113063

Follow Up By: Stigma - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 23:18

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 23:18
Hi Dunc,
You may be able to help me, "threads" are what hangs off like in a loose thread on a jumper? i.e. if I click on the 'thread' next to my posting on the Forum it takes me down another path. Is this correct?

If so can you tell me are the 'Menu' threads, attached to the light blue tags at the top of the Home Page?
Where might the 'Food' threads Be?
FollowupID: 369258

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 23:49

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 23:49
Sigma, you can use the Topic Search on the left hand side of your Post (in blue), Try the Cooking section maybe, or alternatively use the "site search box" and type in what you are looking for, eg trip menus. It should direct you to stacks of previous posts.

I've navagated throughout these areas, as I love cooking.

Happy searching

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 369269

Follow Up By: Stigma - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 10:14

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 10:14
Thanks Dunc,
I found lots through 'On The Road' at the top of the page.
Stigma
FollowupID: 369292

Reply By: Nudenut - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:21

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:21
"Well....I know that's important but what about yummies in your tummies"

we are telling you!...its the reds you need to take...not food dummy
hehehe
(no offence meant)
AnswerID: 113066

Reply By: Nudenut - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:25

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:25
is Stigma the opposite sex to men?...this would explain the or her first paragraph!
AnswerID: 113067

Reply By: Toy_Hilux - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 21:33

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 21:33
Take whatever you want to eat. When we go camping, our normal diets dont change. One tip though, and we find it very useful, place meat into individual meal portions and then get them cryovac before freezing or refridgerating. At least like this and it is only refridgerated, it will last for weeks. We now dow this to all foods and find this very useful, no smells at all.
AnswerID: 113089

Follow Up By: Stigma - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 23:11

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 23:11
Toy_Hilux
yes, I was just reading in a Western 4wder about vacuum packing all sorts of food, where do you get this done. Do you have your own Cryopacker? I have had meat cryopacked before and, yes it lasted for a long time (bit smelly though, peg on nose!)
FollowupID: 369254

Follow Up By: old-plodder - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 16:35

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 16:35
Ask around the local butchers about cyrovacing.
We have a local butcher who does it for 50c a bag.
Sometimes if you ask nicely, they will pack other food for you too.
Usually lasts 3 to 5 weeks when in the engel.

Looked at a vacuum packing machine at the 4wd show and they were a couple of hundred dollars, so forgot the idea.

When travelling, usually plenty of stir fries, risa reso, curried sausages, pasta in many forms, seldom meat & 3 veg. All of the above have plenty of veges in, and towards the end of the trip all the left overs. Keep plenty of fruit in the car. Usually have a few cans of the staples like mixed veg, corn, peas, stews, beans (various), lentels when the fresh veges run low. Of course pumpkins, potatoes (white and sweet), onions, cob corn all keep a fair while.
Do the occasional 'mini dampers' to top up after a meal.
Basically a damper mix, like toothpaste consistency, and put about two desert spoonfuls in a toasting iron for about 3 minutes on the fire. Serve with honey, or jam or syrup.
FollowupID: 369353

Follow Up By: Toy_Hilux - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 21:28

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 21:28
Stigma

Our local butcher is very good to us. We give him our order and how many steaks or whatever we need per serve and he cryovacs it for us for nothing, mainly because we get all our meat through him. We do also have use of a home cryovac for all of our other food. It is just our personal preference on this, they may be a little dear to buy first up but over time they do pay for themselves as the more food you buy in bulk, the cheaper it is. But then when we go camping we have the luxury of running two car fridges, one as a freezer and the other as a fridge. Then we also have a console cooler in the front. One thing we did with the cryovac was go in shares with friends who also go camping with us, works out even cheaper.
FollowupID: 369412

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 22:00

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 22:00
Stigma,
GOOD NEWS>>>>>>>>>>>>
We have a shop over here in SA and you can get some tucker for your belly!!! lolol
We also have a service station in Adelaide, so you won't need to carry too much fuel!!!
Seriously though, we have found that it is FAR better to just take enough tucker for a few days at a time and replenish as you go. What's the point of packing 60 cans of baked beans (or whatever) when you can get em along the way.
Bloke I went to Cape York with last year on a 4 week trip, took 28 pairs of jocks!!! He also took about 80 litres of petrol in jerry cans and brought most of it back home with him. There's no valid reason to overload your 4by with stuff you can get along the way.
AnswerID: 113097

Follow Up By: Stigma - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 23:28

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 23:28
Roachie,
didn't anyone tell your friend how you can wear a pair of Jocks for 4 days? Not that I would know.

I appreciate what you are saying about taking enough for a few days but last year we did Goog's Track and the Oodnadatta Track, there weren't a whole lot of Supermarkets - besides we don't go to spend our time shopping, ooh! unless there are craft shops or dress shops.

I like the little bit of wisdom at the bottom of your reply.
FollowupID: 369262

Follow Up By: old-plodder - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 16:37

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 16:37
You wear the jocks right way out day 1, reverse them day 2, inside out day 3, and reverse them again day 4?
FollowupID: 369355

Reply By: Member - Frank - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 22:19

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 22:19
I agree for two reasons if you cart to much of what you are used to its not a holliday its a chore I always take a bag of flour and a bag of rice 5kilos if it rains pull of and camp till it drys out dont stress your self or your vechical

local meats will be better in the country and I have yet to see the store or pub that does not have somthing to tempt the kids, there is not many places that dont carry something and you are supporting them so that they can survive for all of us

This might cause a furor but do not even take a beer try the locals it might be different but thats why you are there

frank
AnswerID: 113102

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 22:34

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 22:34
"local meats will be better in the country" ?

Not much meat available in the outback! Vacuum packing is the way to go.
FollowupID: 369246

Follow Up By: Stigma - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 23:32

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 23:32
Hi Frank,
yes, I have to admit your sentiments have merit.
Thanks
Stigma
FollowupID: 369264

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 00:09

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 00:09
"DO NOT TAKE BEER" yes it has created a furor I have no problems taking plenty of beer as well as trying most of the locals (pubs that is not women)
FollowupID: 369272

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 08:41

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 08:41
ROADKILL tastes good, especially after a few reds:-)))
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 113138

Reply By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 09:33

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 09:33
Wow what a question to ask in here, we seem to all have our favourites, I guess doing a search on cooking or recipes or food would bring you a lot of reading.

In the past some have shared their lists, I bought a book in here that gives a womans view on camping and it has various food lists for different amounts of time.

What I have started to do is to drawn up a spreadsheet listing the days and meals (breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, snacks) and then at the bottom, I go through each day adding the quantity of like foods and end up with a shopping and packing list, then I can sorting them into fridge/freezer, fresh and tin/packet and buy along the way categories.

Starting with some fresh stuff and aking frozen roasts to be used a few days along and the leftovers for lunch the next day and later using tin stuff.

It can be as simple or complex as your taste and energy dictates. I must say I always take too much as the draw of a bakery is often too much for the MOTH.

Carolyn
AnswerID: 113150

Follow Up By: Stigma - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 10:25

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 10:25
Carolyn,
thank you for your reply. I tried doing searches on 'food' or 'menu' and found it very interesting as to how many results came up that had no real information on either. 'Food' often occurs in general packing lists or discussion about take aways etc. 'Menu' of course comes up in everything regarding digital toys, of which there is much info and discussion about on Explore Oz!
I did find some useful info through the 'On The Road' tab at the top of the page.
I am interested in the book you mentioned about lists of provisions for different lenghts of time away.
Cheers,
Stigma
FollowupID: 369293

Follow Up By: Stigma - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 15:47

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 15:47
Carolyn,
A friend told me yesterday Coles has a new line of dried stir fry vegetable. I thought you may be interested.
Stigma
FollowupID: 369656

Reply By: AndrewX - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 00:01

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 00:01
Stigma, surely you are the best person to decide what food to take. It's no big deal, just think of the food you enjoy eating and there's your answer! You really need to stick to food with which you are familiar for ease of preparation as you've done it before. Some basic guidelines for you:
*Glass containers may break so stay with plastic, steel and aluminium.
*Get a good fridge.
*Cryovac neat lasts a long time in a fridge
*Dried food is light
*Flour, rice and potatoes last for a long time
*Long life milk lasts a long time when unopened
*Get a good stove (Coleman) and a non stick frypan, grill and wok.
*Get a vegetable steamer
Hope that helps!
AnswerID: 113279

Follow Up By: Stigma - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 15:45

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 15:45
thanks AndrewX, yes I have packed for long trips before but you often wonder what others do. Some people have most creative ideas, it's been interesting reading the responses to my question and nice to see there are a few women on the forum - I hope they get to drive out in the bush too. If my hubby lets me have the wheel he never gets it back.

I was told yesterday that Coles have a new line of dried stir fry vegies. New ideas are always coming up so it's good to share.
Cheers,
Stigma
FollowupID: 369655

Reply By: Richard - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 15:50

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 15:50
"just take enough for a few days" bad move... what if you have a breakdown or get stuck for whatever reason, you might not be moving for a week or more. i take enough quality food for at least a week longer than the time to do the trip to the next supply. then after that theres the tinned food in the "emergency food" stash as well. you never know!
AnswerID: 113335

Follow Up By: Stigma - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 15:49

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 15:49
Richard,
very good advice!
Stigma
FollowupID: 369657

Sponsored Links