Spongy Brake Pedal on 75 series L/C Ute

Submitted: Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 21:34
ThreadID: 23343 Views:3995 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I had the rear brake proportioning valve situated on top of the rear axle sh1t itself on my Landcruiser ute last weekend. Fluid squirting out in a big hurry, 2 or 3 pushes and the reservoir was nearly sucking air. After spending a couple of days trying to find a second hand one I ended up getting a new one sent up from Brisbane today.

My problem has been trying to get all of the air out of the hydraulic system. After sending 2 or 3 litres of brake fluid through the system I still do not have my nice hard pedal back but only have a spongy pedal that is sitting a little bit lower. The rest of the brake system is relatively new and in good condition.

Any idea's from the experts??????

Cheers,
Brett
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 21:40

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 21:40
What brakes does the 75 have disc/disc or disc/drum?

You need to bleed the nipple on the proportioning valve, then the rear brakes, then the front from memory.
you may have to get it pressure bled if you can't do it manually.
AnswerID: 113093

Follow Up By: Big Woody - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 06:55

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 06:55
Hi Peter,

It is a disc/drum set up. The nipple on the proportioning valve has been bled but I think I may have to go somewhere and get it pressure bled as you suggest.

Thanks mate for your reply.

Cheers,
Brett
FollowupID: 369282

Reply By: bushy04 - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 08:11

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 08:11
Hi you need to look for any high points in the brake system and bleed there first, it sounds like you have air in the mastercylinderso bleed that first .
Tip ....Before you start bleeding give it a good pump on the pedal first as this will help.I used to do this for a living many years ago and I dont think that brakes have changed that much.

Good luck
AnswerID: 113135

Sponsored Links