Headers LC100

Submitted: Friday, May 27, 2005 at 20:10
ThreadID: 23364 Views:1499 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Down the track I guess I will be putting some headers on the Cruiser, when the OEM stuff needs replacing. Have used HM Headers (Melbourne) before and found them to be more than adequate. Anyone else's experience?

/viz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Eric - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 20:28

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 20:28
Headers are a tuned lenth manifold that work in the sequence of a firing order , like the one the your vehicle comes standard with . ony diffrence is , your is cast , and after market isn't . Unless you want to work your engine , your wasting your time. However , you will be told by many , how after market extractors or headers , gave them 2000 hp boost & halved there economy
AnswerID: 113244

Follow Up By: viz - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 20:53

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 20:53
Thanks Eric for that. I am well aware of how they work and the (supposed) benefits. Also the sometime loss of low down torque if headers are added (loss of back pressure). However fuel economy and power can be improved, with turning (e.g Unichip). Having a quick bo-peep under the bonnet of the Cruiser (4.5) I note that the exhaust seems to be somewhat "tuned" (for want of a better description) and wonder what benefits if at all would be gained from something like HM Headers, particulaly in the breathing department at higher revs - something where the Cruiser seems to be a little asthmatic...

I have just stepped out of a 260 kw & 580 nm V8 in a Range Rover (15 years of fun) and into the Cruiser. Lost about 100 kw or so in the change. I miss everyone of them! :(

However I do not want to touch this motor - leave as much as possible stock for resale value

/viz
FollowupID: 369404

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Monday, May 30, 2005 at 08:08

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 08:08
Viz
Dont do anything yet....but keep an eye out for a preloved safari turbo kit (they are still made, but not offered unless you want to buy 25 sets at a time and are an Arab or American)
I did this and am where you used to be (and Eric)
Another option is AVO have started making turbo kits (this i have heard not confirmed) 240kw/540nm
Andrew
FollowupID: 369604

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 18:46

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 18:46
ok, now we know its a 4.5.....replace the 2 into 1 piece directly below the headers, as it is 2 squashed pipes into 1....and put a unichip on......you will gain power and economy with either or both....but leave the exhaust or it will get noisy like a vl commodore with sports exhaust...dont ask why i know!
Andrew
AnswerID: 113475

Follow Up By: viz - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 20:48

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 20:48
Thanks for that. Gives me some more info with which to talk turkey with the exhaust man... Sometimes rippping off the old manifold actually *reduces* torque; for a 4WD that has to tow all the time is not such a good thing...

The guy I use for exhausts is very good at extracting power without making it too noisy. Wonder if I can make it sound like a V8??? :^

/viz
FollowupID: 369583

Sponsored Links