Strzelecki Desert SA

Submitted: Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 20:54
ThreadID: 23395 Views:2263 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Any one have any knowledge of the Mount Brown Track that crosses the Strzelecki between Lake Callabonna and Winnathee? Also what is the Hawker Gate House mapped on the Winnathee end?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 11:17

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 11:17
Bush,

I am at work at the moment and don't have my maps of the area so I will need to check this but from memory.

The Mt Brown track is on private property, Quenyambie I think. Unfortunately the word here in Broken Hill is that the managers there are extremely reluctant to allow access across the property and have locked gates for that reason.

Apparently some people used the track a few yeras ago when it was wet and caused quite serious damage, they also left gates open that should have ben closed. This creates major problems for the station management, therefore no access.

Hawker Gate is used as a base by the WIld Dog Protection Board, they look after the Dingo Fence. They used to be listed in the Broken Hill phone book but are not in this years. If you can get an old one you may be able to get the number and contact them. Alternatively you may be able to contact them via the Dept. of Lands.

I'll check this when I get home and if I need to will post corrections here later.

Duncs
AnswerID: 113446

Reply By: BushBugga (SA) - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 20:15

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 20:15
Thanks for the responce. Turns out that you are quite correct! I spoke to a chap at work today and found out that not only is it locked but is permanantly impassable due to extreme sand drifts. The track simply dissapears after some k's in from the gate. Reviewed the map and re-routed through the gamon ranges.

Again Thanks and safe travels
AnswerID: 113492

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 12:04

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 12:04
One correction, that should be WIld Dog Destruction Board not protection board.

Duncs
FollowupID: 369632

Sponsored Links