Replacement timing belt Hilux

Submitted: Monday, May 30, 2005 at 13:44
ThreadID: 23418 Views:11047 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Just wondering if any one could let me know what would the recommended price be to get a timing belt replaced in a 2.8lt diesel hilux. Just clicked over the 200000k mark and on comes the light. Just had the service done but not the timing belt. Have been quoted $480.00 for everything icluding installation, does this sound fair. Was quoted $320.00 just for the timing kit to do it myself, but thought that paying the little extra and have them fit it would give me peice of mind and less hassles.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: banjodog - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 16:09

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 16:09
I'm surprised at the cost as the belt (only), non Toyota, is just $53.00 from Repco - that's fifty three dollars.

Does the "timing kit" come with all the seals to be such a high price? i.e. - camshaft seal, crankshaft seal, new idler bearing, cover gasket etc etc. If so then it may climb up to somewhere near your quoted price.

It's fairly easy to do, however shop around for a better price if you have someone do it and ask what do they intend to replace.

Even ask for the old bits to make sure it was replaced.

Most cases it's just the belt that requires replacing.

AnswerID: 113579

Follow Up By: Toy_Hilux - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 19:09

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 19:09
Hi,
Sorry, my bo bo, wrong key stroke, should read $220.00 for the kit.

Yes the timing kit does come with everything including the idler bearing, tensioner and spring as well as seals and gaskets, and the price quoted is on genuine toyota. I wasn't to sure if this was too dear for genuine but I do prefer to use genuine parts where possible. Where we are, there are not too many trustworthy mechanics and our local toyota dealer has been very good to us in our past dealings. Not only that, but our mechanic friend now works for them also. Wont deal with repco ever again as got stung on previous dealings (18mths on a warranty claim, they did pay in end) and they renigged on quoted prices and took 4weeks to deliver instead of 4 days that they said.
FollowupID: 369690

Reply By: 80scruiser - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 20:35

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 20:35
As a repairer I would normally quote from 2 - 2 1/2 hours to do the whole job. Going on a rate of 60 bucks an hour you are probably close to the $400 dollar mark. At 200k I strongly suggest to change the tensioner. We change the tensioners in most cars now as when you compare the price of the tensioner to the price of repairs if it fails, its an easy decission. When a 3L hilux timing belt fails it usually breaks the camshaft into 4 pieces. That means dollars.
If you do it yourself have a good look at the power steering brackets as I have come across a few that have cracked.
AnswerID: 113630

Follow Up By: Toy_Hilux - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 21:04

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 21:04
Thanks 80scruiser,

Our mechanic did also mention that and that is why I priced a full kit, supposed to have it in it. Had a timing chain let go on an old 18R motor and that cost $$$$ to fix out in the middle of nowhere. That is why I like to replace everything when its due and sometimes sooner. A Question for you though, you say 2 - 2 1/2 hours, they quoted up to 4 hours for $480.00 including all parts, is that about right?????? Thanks about the tip on the power steering bracket. Had a quick look just now and found one bolt half way undone. Will have a closer look in the morning!!!
FollowupID: 369720

Reply By: Ingenious - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 19:17

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 19:17
Don't forget a new water pump while your in there.
Chhers
AnswerID: 113777

Sponsored Links