80 Series Propshafts - Which Tool??

Submitted: Monday, May 30, 2005 at 13:49
ThreadID: 23419 Views:1479 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
If anybody has any experience of what brand socket or special tool will fit the front & rear propshaft flange bolts on the 80 series that would be appreciated.

looks like it must be a thin wall socket of some sort to clear the yoke casting.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 16:08

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 16:08
Bod, I cant say for the 80, but I would expect its the same sort of hassle we have with Landrover bolts. The flange is too thick to get a socket into it and we use a 9/16 ring spanner with a touch of grinding to thin it slightly.

If you can get the angles in for a socket you might find the more expensive (quality of metal) the thinner the socket can be with the same strength. I believe snap-on etc are heaps thinner but just as strong (stronger) than no-name brands.

Goodluck, you will get there.

Matt.
AnswerID: 113578

Reply By: old-plodder - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 17:31

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 17:31
Just had a similar problem on the Pajero.
Found my sidchromes had a smaller dia socket than others.

I usually go up to Cash Convertors and go through thier bin of loose sockets or spanners for the one I want, and take it home and put it on the bench grinder or hack it the way I need it for a special tool.
Usually $1.00 each for 2nd hand sockets and spanners. You can bargain, which is part of the fun.

They cringe when i come through the front door these days, since I pull the tools out all over thier floor and put them back as I check them :-).
Then pick the best of 3 or 4 I have put aside.

Suppose it is an advantage being an old fussy bloke :-0. (Not the description they use).
Of course I am also in my best garage working gear with plenty of old oil and paint and bare feet, and the beard a bit scragly.
Just an old stirrer, that's me.
AnswerID: 113590

Follow Up By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 11:01

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 11:01
What a classic image!!!

OMG I can see myself in 20 years!!!!!
FollowupID: 369766

Sponsored Links