BFG tyres & GU

Submitted: Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2342 Views:2532 Replies:9 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all!

I have a Patrol 4.8 auto and am just back from trip North & Centre.
Original Bridgestone Dueler A/T 275/70/R16 OK on the road and stones but gibbers caused 7 punctures through the face of the tread. 15000km when I left and 24000km on return. Tyres are stuffed!
Decided to replace them with BFG All Terrain T/A.
Can anyone give me pro's and con's in using 275/70/R16 against 265/75/R16?
Driving is normally 75% bitumen, 25% rough stuff (I try and keep out of the muddy stuff).

Happy 4 wheeling

Woodsy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jono - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00
G'day John...I also have a 4.8 Patrol and did Cape York via Birdsville and Strez return this year fron Adelaide,doing 13,000k on the origonal rubber. Wear does seem to be a problem however did not have a single puncture and did plenty of gibber driving with a full load. I think(or hope ) the reason for that was dropping the tyre pressure and speed 20%.
Apart from wear the tyres were excellent on and off bitumen..I will get about 60 thou out of them by rotating 6..which is not good.
I will be looking at BFG's or Coopers next. Can't help you with the 265 vs 275 query.
By the way how are you finding the big brute??

regards JR
AnswerID: 8384

Follow Up By: Wellby - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

Watch out for the coopers warranty. I live out of Alice and the warranty is only valued if I lived in Darwin.
FollowupID: 4056

Reply By: Truckster - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

Read a few other posts on the new BFG and problems with softer walls and compounds... Not lasting anywhere near as long as the pre-KO's..

Coopers are probably a better solution.
AnswerID: 8390

Follow Up By: Michael - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

Hi there Truckster, Please read my post below, i've had a great run out of my current set of Ko's 275's X16.. I'll be getting another set. Its rare to find a 4x4with a punchured sidewall with bfg's thats what i like about them, Regards Michael.
FollowupID: 4060

Follow Up By: Truckster - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

You are the only person I know who has got over 80,000 out of KO/KMs and definately the only person I know, even in our club that will be buying a second set of them!

Glad they lasted yer, thats what its all about eh.
FollowupID: 4063

Follow Up By: Truckster - Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00
Ive been out with people that have holed KO/KM BFGs.... Its not as rare as it was pre-KO/KM by a long shot... Thats my point, not saying EVERY BFG will die in the ring, but I got pre-KM MTs and have had people ask to buy em off me!!(thinkin about it too! I want MTRs!)

Glad you had a good run with them, thats what its all about, but there are others here that have posted problems with the newer BFGs..

It maybe just me, but Id rather someone say something to me when I was shopping for my $1500 - $2000 of rubber than say later Oh yes, Ive had nothing but problems with my XYZ brand of tire..

All tires are going to find it tough in the severe bush tracks where twigs are like "Iron Nails" as put by our club pres the other week.

There was one bloke in our club that tried Coopers 3odd yrs ago, and had not 1, not 2 but 3 flats! and 2 of those at once one on car one on trailer!

Bridgestones, also have punctures, as do Dunlops etc... Its all down to luck I think, like on the street, you can do 100,000klms and never get a flat, or the next day you could get 2-3!

David, what tires do the Exploroz people use?? Just out of interest thats all.

YMMV...
FollowupID: 4133

Reply By: Kelly Green - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

Go the Cooper ST a no contest
AnswerID: 8392

Reply By: Michael - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

Hi there John

I did trip up through the middle and out through Isa and back to sydney, I blew the sidewalls out of 2 tyres(i took 2 spares) not a good feeling out there with no spare. I Didn't know until after the first tyre went that i should have reduced the pressures, but the second one went with 22psi in it. The Duelers are really only a set of comfy slippers only good for the road. My first 275 BF All Terrain were fantastic, got 120,000 kms out of them with more to go but were getting a bit out of round. I tried to get another set of pre 'ko's' but missed out,
some people were saying that the new compounds were too soft and wore prematurely.Ihave covered 80,000 kms so far and i'm sure that they will achieve the same as the last set. The slightly taller tyres should be better for fuel comsumption and no problems with slightly taller gears as you have plenty of power from that big engine. I run a gu 4.2 turbo with no probs. Hope this is helpful . Regards Michael.
AnswerID: 8399

Follow Up By: Michael - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

I forgot to mention that it was the original tyres that i had blowouts on,Bridgestone Duelers. Michael
FollowupID: 4061

Reply By: Member - Ray - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

Same old Bridgestone Dueller problem.Complete rubbish product and Nissan should be ashamed of themselves regarding this and all their other after sales service.Go for the Cooper ST and you will not be sorry.
AnswerID: 8416

Reply By: kezza - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

Yeah woodsy,
Try this link it will give you enough info re heights width and comparative rotations so you can work out your gearing and speedo - with a standard gu both tyres are fine
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/all_terrain_ta_kd.pdf

This debate seems to drag on and stuff gets repeated 'ad infinitum'.
Personally Ive had bridgestones and goodyears go belly up literally and had em sliding all over the place in the wet especially once worn.
I think the new compounds in the bfg have some good points re wear and grip Im about 26,000 ks into some M/T km's and 75,000 into some A/T ko's will get past 80,000 with both and still have servicable tread.
We actually live and work in the bush and use them for what they were intended and then some, price wise and versatility I like em but Im always open to suggestion. Coopers dont always have the sizes you want, aggressive tread pattern matters only a small percentage of your life (but we are in a drought) so do your homework and listen to the people who actually are seriously running and using the tyres - usually they are too busy or having too much fun to bother on the net.

have fun
kezza
AnswerID: 8418

Reply By: Goodsy - Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00

Are the "new" bfg ot's the same as the old bfg in tyre wear. Got 90000Km's out my last set of bfg m/t 33's. will but coopers if not.
AnswerID: 8505

Follow Up By: Goodsy - Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00

meant ko's sorry thinking about over time
FollowupID: 4120

Goodsy,

From the users on the Patrol list, you wont get anywhere near the same klms as the old ones.

But as Michael says, he is happy with them... Maybe he got some from a good batch? If there is such a thing as different batches of tires, I wouldnt know....

Also look at the Goodyear MTRs as an option...
FollowupID: 4135

Reply By: Member - John - Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00

Hi again!

Thank you for the replies and suggestions.
I previously had BFG All Terrain T/A on my GQ and was happy. The Dueler AT's came with the new GU and I decided to leave them on and replace them when worn out. I didn't realise how bad an offroad tyre they were. Tales from the tyre people who repaired tyres for me on this last trip confirmed my opinion that the Duelers are not a tyre for harsh conditions. I will take this up with Nissan but expect no joy (typical Nissan attitude).

Jono, I am generally happy with the 4.8P auto GU, plenty of guts and comfy. On this trip 9000+ km I averaged 19l/100km. This was well laden inside and also with a 4' pack rack containing 2 tables, 3 chairs, barbeque pole, pan etc, and 4 swags. Stuck up from the roof about 700mm so was quite an effective wind anchor. Best consumption on highway at 100k/hr was about 17l/100k with up to 25l/100k in bulldust section between Urandangi and Tobermorey. Happy with that but will look into improving with maybe extractors and 'chip' in the future.

1 problem that need attention
Cruise control surges. Will drop down to 4th when a slight hill arrives (that is normal) but will then slam down to 3rd and heavily accelarate back up to set speed. This is also quite disconcerting when you are into a corner on the highway. FTG Nissan claim no knowledge of this until I advised that Kittle Nissan in Alice Springs told me that it was a gazetted? notification from Nissan and that the fix was a cruise control ECU chip change (I think). Suddenly FTG Nissan 'remembered' something about this. Have asked for rectification at next service next week.

Again, thank you all for your help.

Happy 4 wheeling.

Woodsy
AnswerID: 8508

FTG Nissan claim no knowledge of this until I advised that Kittle Nissan in Alice Springs told me that it was a gazetted? notification from Nissan and that the fix was a cruise control ECU chip change (I think). Suddenly FTG Nissan 'remembered' something about this. Have asked for rectification at next service next week

Isnt it good you have to do stuff like that, remind them, or provide proof that there is a problem with your $60k car from another dealer just to get what you deserve... Why, its beyond me why they pretend not to know? Its not as though they are paying for it! Nissan are, or Toyota, or Mitz, or... or...

Now I know (apart from the fact I'd Kill myself if I scratched the hell out of a $40k+ car...) why I wouldnt buy a new car..
FollowupID: 4134

Reply By: Rick - Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00

Tyres.......punctures.......it always happens to me .........blew the sidewalls.....a bloke I know reckons that.......Fella in the tyre joint said.........I had no flatties in 50,000 km........I bought brand XYZ and they are rubbish.....Nissan out to be ashamed.......

It's kinda repetitive isn't it?

The only solution I know is to stay at home!

I won't go through all my experiences, but suffice it to say that I am trying Toyo A/T Open Country 8 ply (Opats) in 165/75 R 16 on the GU Patrol. They have performed fine on the black top, Goog's track & the Flinders Ranges, including some rough track work. Will see how they go at Robe at Xmas, but the tread pattern looks that it will be fine on sand. This is the third set of tyres in 70,000 km. But I only get punctures when driving on rough tracks etc. Last year going up the old Ghan line between Finke & the Alice, our two vehicles had punctures in the tread area from the old railway dogs lying everywhere. Funny that we didn't get any punctures on the black top going back south, trying to avoid being the Peter Falconnio murderer's 2nd victim.

Cheers

Rick

PS Truckster - good luck with the Vic 4wd election campaign . Call on us South Aussies if you need support.
AnswerID: 8533

Sponsored Links