Discover Aus Streets & Tracks

Submitted: Monday, May 30, 2005 at 19:50
ThreadID: 23432 Views:2089 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Is it the way I've set mine up or do others find it difficult locating Town + City placenames on the map? I realise there's a limited amount of detail on these things but scrolling up the highways you're hard-pushed to locate the towns
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 19:52

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 19:52
Zoom in, you lose detail when you are in the wider scale.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 113621

Follow Up By: Steve - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 19:58

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 19:58
that's ok when you've located your spot but if you're scanning up and down the highways you're hard-pushed to find where you are sometimes.
FollowupID: 369702

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 21:52

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 21:52
I run multiple copies moving map applications at different zoom levels. With the wireless mouse it just a click of the centre wheel to switch between applications. This requires a program such as GPSGATE which creates virtual com ports to feed the nmea data to as many applications as you wish.
AnswerID: 113643

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 08:54

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 08:54
Yo Mad Dog......
In English please !!!!
Sounds good but can you make that comment sound easier for all us "dummies".
This could be what i've been looking for though...multiple copies @ diff zoom levels ay....yep im interested in that function mate
Angelo
FollowupID: 369753

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 10:11

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 10:11
Angelo, GPSGATE tricks the PC system into thinking it has more com ports than it actually has. It then sends the data from the sats to each of the "tricked" com ports so it's just a matter of configuring each moving map application to connect to one of the "tricked" com ports. I usually run two instances of Oziexplorer and one of Discoveraus but it depends on where I am and what I'm doing. I also feed the gps data to a radio vehicle tracking application. All this works very well indeed

GPSGATE costs a few dollars but it's not expensive and very easy to configure. It's puts an icon down the bottom of the screen that changes colour depending on status..no go, gps connected but no valid data flowing, all ok lets rock

You can download a free 14 day trial for evaluation

www.franson.com
FollowupID: 369760

Reply By: MarkTheShark - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 22:12

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 22:12
I presume you mean on your GPS rather than on your PC or laptop.

If you are using your GPS, scrolling is not really the way to go unless the town you are looking for is close. The following looks complex but isn't when you actually do it.

(Using a Magellan in this instance) go from the map screen to MENU then DATABASE then AUS Cities then POSITION for the closest towns to your location. If you do this simply select the town you want and press ENTER. You can then choos to view it.
Alternatively, instead of POSITION, select Cities to choose from the whole database in which case you will be prompted to type in the name. Clear whatever name defaults and type in the name you want. You may not have to type the whole name. Follow the prompts.
AnswerID: 113649

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 06:59

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 06:59
Steve,
you're talking about the computer application right??

I found the same, depends on the zoom level as to how much detail. To get from town to town on the map, I "search for address", (F2) and type in the state, town and in the street field, typa an "a" and hit search. Usually every town has a street that starts with "a", if not try "B" etc etc... waypoint it so you can see it clearly, and if necessary do it again for the next town.... then when you zoom out you can see your waypoints more clearly and can "follow" the highways etc between them.

Hope this helps
AnswerID: 113670

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 12:30

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 12:30
Thanks guys. Brian, that's pretty good mate and I'll find that little manouevre handy. It still means you've got to locate, and then effectively mark your own placenames on the map when sometimes you just want to scan your eyes around the damn thing to get your bearings. Maybe I need a bit more practice. I believe there's a new one coming out with topo markings. Wonder if they'll get around to marking the towns. Might sound like I'm labouring this but I find it a bit odd that the smallest/insignificant creeks are often marked yet many towns, national parks and islands are not.
AnswerID: 113716

Sponsored Links