Innamincka Accommodation

Submitted: Monday, May 30, 2005 at 21:32
ThreadID: 23434 Views:9694 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
What is the situation with camping at Innamincka, showers, toilets, power or am I asking to much? we like our comforts. I know about the pub and Trading Post accommodation but know nothing about camping on the Town Common.

Can anyone please politely enlighten me?

Thanks Starky
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 21:44

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 21:44
G'day Starky,
The town common is only about 2klm away from the commercial hub of the town (the CBD if you will!!!!!). There are shower and flushing toilet facilities available at the "CBD" for a gold coin donation.
The common is a great place to camp; right by the creek, but be prepared to be rudely awakened by the myriad of bird life, whose back yard you will be sharing...
Avagreattrip
Roachie
AnswerID: 113641

Follow Up By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 22:00

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 22:00
Yes.....and when there last September there was a small herd of cattle from Innamincka station roaming the common at times - damned big bull among them, but they bothered nobody. When I got home I wrote to Kidmans but they said there cattle have not been any trouble AND it is their station (true) - the town is IN the station. Think there's a time limiter on the showers now too - several minutes. But as Roachie says, its hard to get sick of Innamincka.
FollowupID: 369730

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 01:31

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 01:31
Bill,

"The common is a great place to camp".....are you fair dinkum mate???

When we were there last November, Cooper Creek along the Common was a series of puddles and sand banks and the water was green.
Didn't impress us.

Fortunately friends we were travelling with had been before and we headed for Cullyamurra Waterhole. About 14 k out and over some pretty ordinary piece of road (corrugated). But what a difference Cullyamurra was. About 6 kilometers long, serene and plenty of bird life.
The water, although "silty" was great to swim in and use for the portable showers.

This would be one of my all time favourite places and I will certainly return there.
We caught plenty of yabbies at a spot that will remain secret. One yabbie in particular was the size of a K.I Marron. Went down beaut with a Coopers Ale or two. I caught one undersized fish which was returned to the water before hooking several tortoises. (Also returned) I intend returning there in about March next time which is the best time to fish for Yellowbelly so I'd told. But then again one doesn't have to fish. Just sitting on the bank with a drink in hand, watching the pelicans and letting the stress dissipate as you wiggle your toes through the sand.

Cullyamurra has camping spots spread along the banks of the waterhole and includes long drop toilets at strategic points for those that don't have their own portables. No showers, but as Roachie has mentioned you can "buy" one opposite the Innamincka Trading Post and it gives one an excuse, (if you need one) to have a Coopers Beer at the Cooper in the Pub.

Jeez I'm rambling aren't I.

See Ya!
Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 369742

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 01:00

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 01:00
Starky,

We were at Innamincka last week. It is our second visit in 2 years. We like it!

The town common is the nearest thing to "civilised" camping. There are no powered sites; just pick a spot on the river bank. $5.00 Fee per night is by donation in the honesty box. There are a couple of long drop dunnies in the camping area. The toilets and showers are about 1-2 KM away, in the main street and are quite good (Toilet is free; showers $2.00 for 4 minutes). The water was a peculiar yellow colour this time due to some influx from the Diamantina. Similar camping is available at "Ski Beach" (for goodness sakes!) and "Policeman's Point" but the road is pretty rough. I can thoroughly recommend Peter Weir's Cooper cruise. It costs $30.00 pp and takes 2 hours. Most people have no idea how much waterway there is in the area. The birdlife is spectacular at sunset. Peter gives an excellent commentary and a good summary of the Bourke and Wills history.

The pub has great food, especially the Sunday night roast. New units are under construction and should be ready by July- August.

Camping at Cullyamurra Waterhole is good too. You need a Desert Parks Pass or permit from the store ($20 per night). The usual NPWS restrictions apply. The only facilities are long drop dunnies. Plenty of camp spots and not much birdlife compared to the common. We had dingoes in our camp out there which was exciting.

Kings.
AnswerID: 113662

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 08:47

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 08:47
I've been there about 6 times and camped variously - Cully is great - downstream can be excellent too, but the common is convenient (and you don't need the DP Pass if just passing through). Re the puddles and algae - its all to do with "conditions" - what you find as you arrive - that section of creek in front of the pub (Queerbiddie Waterhole") can be great too - and its a short walk to the trading post and the all important pub - best fish I've seen up there came from in front of the pub (1m of water at best) - a school kid brought the sizeable Callop up to the pub for weigh-in - then took it back down to the creek !
AnswerID: 113681

Reply By: Member - Gary W (VIC) - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 14:07

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 14:07
We were there in Oct last year. Stayed on the common. It was one of the best camping spots we had on the whole 7000k trip. Kids has a great time playing on the sand bars in Cooper Crk.

As mentioned by others the shower block near the shop was very welcome.

'Note to self' - Take a look at Cullyamurra next time - Thanks for the tip.

Gaz
AnswerID: 113727

Sponsored Links