How to fix bbq plate

Submitted: Monday, May 30, 2005 at 23:41
ThreadID: 23440 Views:24732 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,

I just recentyly brought myself a small ribbed type bbq plate that fits on my 3 burner bbq. I think the barnd name was a companion. Anyway the first time I coooked on it the food had a horrible metal taste to it and when I tried to clean the plate afterwards all this black stuff came off it. Now the plate has rust on it where the black stuff came off.

Is there anything I can do to this plate or perhaps should have done to it before use? If I scrub it with scourer I will remove more rust but also remove the black coating which from what I can tell should be there. Im not sure what to do with it now so I can get it in working order.

Troy.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 00:31

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 00:31
is this a serios question? all cast iron products come with some kind of coating otherwise as you found they rust which doest look good on the shelf. It is only a light film of rust and is easily washed off although the best way to prevent it is to not clean your barbie but leave it covered in fat etc and just clean it efore use
AnswerID: 113661

Follow Up By: troy35 - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 09:10

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 09:10
No Davoe I was just kidding. I think its frickin hilarious when I make up questions to test the intelligence of other members of this forum.

if you read my post my question is that the plate now makes the food have a mettalic sort of taste that I am trying to get rid of.
FollowupID: 369754

Follow Up By: Rod W - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 17:42

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 17:42
Troy35, to the defence of Davoe I thing you're a bit harsh. In a round-about way he's said what has been said below to "season" it.
FollowupID: 369834

Follow Up By: troy35 - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 20:15

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 20:15
Well when he said "Is this a serious question" I got the feeling he thought I was a moron for even asking such a thing as everyone knows you need to season it first. I knew this about cmapo ovens but didnt know the bbq plate would be the same.
FollowupID: 369864

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 01:58

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 01:58
Troy,

A cast iron, or steel plate needs "seasoned" like a camp oven. The "black" stuff was probably burnt machine oil or some other protective coating used to protect the steel surface after manufacture.

Give it a really good scrub using detergent to get rid of the rust, etc. Even use a wire brush if necessary. Then apply a thin coating of peanut oil and place on your cooker. Heat the blazers out of it, allow to cool, then repeat the process one or two more times until you end up with a black coating all over the plate. Having obtained this, DO NOT WASH AGAIN WITH DETERGENT.
The coating provides a non-stick cooking surface and protects the plate from rusting and only needs the occasional wipe to clean. This is the "seasoning".

After each use, finish off by applying another light coating of peanut oil (or other high temperature oil) before putting away and you will have a plate that will give you years of service.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 113666

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 08:38

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 08:38
Hmmmmm,
Amazing the endless pit of knowledge in this place ay. Sand Man, I am gonna try your idea on my home BBQ plate and see how it works out. I usually run the electric drill with a wire wheel attached to clean my plate before every use. Takes ages to clean and its a very messy job with all the fine rust blowing all over you.
Anyway, thanks for sharing that with us champ. I have copied and pasted it for when i get round to my next BBQ.
Cheers Angelo
FollowupID: 369752

Follow Up By: troy35 - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 09:13

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 09:13
Seems as though I am not the only one who has benifited from this "Serious question Davoe".

Thanks Sand man I knew there was a procedure to do this but just wasnt sure exactly how to do it. I also didnt know if I should be scrubbing off the black coating although that is what seemed to make the meat taste metallic.

Thanks again.
FollowupID: 369755

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 09:36

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 09:36
Angelo and Troy- Do either of you have a cast iron camp oven or skillet?
Im left wondering what you do with that one after trips.
Troy- You may have noticed when you picked up the plate that others available have little warning stickers saying something along the lines of "plate is coated with a protective layer. Burn paint off comprehensively before cooking food"
If you guys dont have a camp oven, be wary of the same situation there too- The crap taste of that first roast from my camp oven was the reason I got it given to me for free.
On the positive side, you now have a valid excuse not to scrub clean the dirtiest items in your camp box after each meal.
FollowupID: 369757

Reply By: hoyks - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 08:42

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 08:42
rust proofing with a spray on cooking oil is also an easy way to keep it looking good.
I just never wash mine and it dosen't rust. If sticking the BBQ over a fire and heating it to about 200 degrees dosen't kill the bugs that may be living there, a quick swill in some tepid water with detergent certainly isn't going to do it.
AnswerID: 113680

Reply By: old-plodder - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 09:44

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 09:44
After seasoning the plate all should be OK.
But like a camp oven, after using my BBQ plate I recoat my BBQ plate with a light coat of cooking oil.
Next use, heat it up hot, give it a scrape down, even apply some salt if you want to help kill any bugs, and start cooking.
AnswerID: 113689

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 09:58

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 09:58
As others have said, that film etc on a new product of this type is usually the S H I T they use in manufacturing it ( in the presses) or to stop it ending up a rust bucket before landing on the retailers counter.

I have always done the following before using them to cook with:

(1) Heat the sucker up on a camp fire, gas fire ( whatever) until it is smoking and all the above S H I T burns off. (Don't have it glowing red)

(2) Carefully put it in or put in it (which ever is applicable) water with some detergent in it.

(3) give it a scrub and rinse it off with clean water.

(4) Have a look and repeat above if ncessary.

This only gets that stuff off and the following is the important bit.

(5) Heat up again an either tip in or spray on a vegetable oil ( peanut oil is best because it takes heaps of heat)

(6) Get it smoking and make sure all the cooking surface is covered in the oil

NOTE: If using a spray oil , don't do it near a naked flame or you run the risk of firing up a flame thrower.

(7) remove the article from the heat source, let it cool down a tad.

(8) Wipe it out with a paper towel and DON'T wash it.

(9) Let it cool down , wrap it it a paper towel/bag and pack it away for next time.

Cleaning there after.

BBQ plate I heat in camp fire etc tip a cup of water on it, give it a scrape with the egg slice (tip off into fire) re-heat and spray with oil and wipe off.

Camp oven - Well! you just have to figure some things out for yourself.

Have a good one all
AnswerID: 113690

Reply By: Member - Karl - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 10:58

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 10:58
Troy,

As stated it's best to season your plate before use as described.

Occassionally I give my plate a clean (in particular when SHMBO says 'your not going to cook on that are you!!) - I then re-season it straight away.

A trick I learned doing 'Mess duties' in my younger days in the Army was to use unsweetened grapefruit juice from the can to clean cooking plates - it did them a treat, especially after the 'baitlayers' burnt the cooking plates.

Karl
AnswerID: 113700

Reply By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 11:06

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 11:06
Sacrificial sausage

Everyone has done what you have done Troy so don't be too hard on yourself.

Your hotplate can be saved but if you’re like me when I do something regretful you might just wanna start again with a new plate.

Whatever you do the next time you cook and when you cook on it always sacrifice a sausage.
By this I mean, when you are heating it up next time and its ready to cook on I always whack on a banga and squash it and mush it up on the hot plate. I work the sausage fats into the plate and flip it scrape it off and pretty much just destroy the sausage cooking it into oblivion ensuring I have used the sausage to scrape any dirt or whatever from the cooking plate.
The process of this will also help you learn about cooking & heat and generally speed up your learning curve.
I will give you more confidence so you can put your nasty experience behind you.

Funny Story: True. About 15 years ago I bought my first house with my girlfriend and dutifully her family came to "approve" the purchase, you know give us their acceptable nod on our move. Lol.

Well they kind off overstepped the boundary and while I was out the back cooking a BBQ lunch for them all they were inside moving our furniture around to where they wanted it ( in-laws are always smarter than you ). My girlfriend is the baby in her family so it was awkward for her to stop them. I came inside to see my house re-arranged and I was simply bamboozled. She pulled me aside and explained she had no control over them.
I burnt, destroyed, sacrificed & mutilated all their food. I piled up their food high on the plate. There was plenty to go around and we (girlfriend and me) sat and watched them eat every last bleep ty burnt disgusting chop.
I think that's where the sacrificial sausage comes from, I'm not sure.

I put a few links here for you to look at.

Happy cooking.

iMusty

And here

AnswerID: 113703

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 11:12

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 11:12
Sorry Troy should of said…

Click here

And Here.

But I had probs loading one of the links

Hit Google

iMusty

FollowupID: 369769

Follow Up By: troy35 - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 14:26

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 14:26
Musty,

Thats an hilarious story, I laughed my head off. Thanks for the advice.
FollowupID: 369795

Follow Up By: Steve - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 18:32

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 18:32
Musty enjoys his food. Eats from extra large containers etc.

To clean his bbq plate he just lets it cool off a bit and gives it a good ole lick all over 'til it's spotless. In fact he often eats off the bbq plate if he can't find anything bigger;>)
FollowupID: 369842

Sponsored Links