Human Waste

Submitted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 11:29
ThreadID: 23449 Views:2667 Replies:15 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
NOT JOKING. Is is safe to burn it in a campfire?

When camping sometimes the ground is too hard to dig a pit so I am wondering if I can place human waste in the campfire and if I can how long does it need to be in there before I can SAFELY cook on the fire.

Or is there another way of addressing this issue without leaving it there with the accompanyng paper and nastiness for the next traveler to discover?

THIS IS A GENUINE QUESTION SO MM ME THE FUNNY STUFF AND LEAVE THE THREAD ALONE AS SOMEONE ELSE MIGHT HAVE THE SAME QUESTION.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wizard1 - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 11:49

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 11:49
You have obviously not experienced the smell of burning turds, not the best odour.

We used to burn off the human waste with the assistance of Avtur when I was in the Army, and not something I would want wafting around my camp site. Plus it will not completely burn away as it is wet and will infect your camp fire from then on.

It has been proven that burying is the best way to go, at least 30cm - 40cm down. If you can't then double bag it until it can be disposed of. We carry a Porta-potti so we avoid this delima.

I assume you r reference to "leaving it there" did not involve leaving above ground, because that would be a rather irresponsible thing to do.

Wizard
Gold Coast

AnswerID: 113707

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 11:55

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 11:55
Semper Fi

I leave no man behind

Even my Hhmn ... well ... little waste man.

I leave NOTHING behind.

I have been the victim of surprises before. We all have.

The occasional thingy in the campfire can't be all that bad. Can it?

Remember, I'm not talking about a platoon here.

iMusty
FollowupID: 369775

Reply By: Wizard1 - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 12:04

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 12:04
If you don't beleive me give it a try and see...........or should I say smell.....take a deep breath.

I just hope I'm no where near you when you do...you will never forget the smell.

AnswerID: 113710

Reply By: Vince NSW - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 12:04

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 12:04
I'm with the wizard on this one. I too have had experiance with the army and it is a hard product to burn.
The Porta potty is the way to go. Must be room in that big bus of yours !!
Or do what I son now has to do with the armed forces.
bleepin a bag and take it with you.
Vince
AnswerID: 113711

Follow Up By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 12:18

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 12:18
Im with the guys on this one, its not easy to burn and not the best result afterwards. The only way I would suggest if you are set about the idea is..get a solid metal container with a good lid made up.

As said use avter or dieso (oil based, slow combustion) and let it burn well, but you will not burn it all away each time. Hence the lid for transport, you dont want to use this for anything else.
You will need to burn it every few days to keep the bulk down, the less there is the easier it burns.

If you make up a wooden box that covers the bucket with a dunny lid on top so it resembles a toilet and can be closed while in constant use.

Finally, make up a compartment in the side of the bus that houses the box with the bucket inside it with the lid on tight.

Goodluck with it...not a nice subject but one a responsible travellers need to give some thought about if away from civilisation...

Good onya Musty
FollowupID: 369780

Reply By: Well 55 - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 12:58

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 12:58
I have just come back from a week in Wonnagatta, and I'm pis##d and amazed at the amount of human waste and paper lying around when there are long drops in and around the valley (now two new ones this past year).

All it takes is a shovel to dig a hole if camped away from toilets, or if camped for a few days in the one spot a big hole and drop a bit of dirt in after each use, then fill in when departing.

The other gripe is bottles and cans left in a fire pit. I ended up with half a garbage bag of rubbish from one area out of two fires.
AnswerID: 113720

Follow Up By: Member - Paul J (ACT) - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 13:39

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 13:39
It happens everywhere these day's Tony, even gooses leaving cans in the entrance to Wombat holes down at Bendethra, unbelievable....
Anyway, you got the freezer full from your trip?

Cheers Paul..
FollowupID: 369786

Follow Up By: Wizard1 - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 13:43

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 13:43
Had the unfortunate experience of camping in a few road side rest stops that other travellers use as an open airbleepter. The thing that spins me out is they always seem to do it right next to the water tanks!

Some of these state governments need to spend a few quid and get some composting crappers into the road side stops, especially those stuck miles from the next convenience.

These people should be forced to stay a few more days in the immediate vicinity of their droppings and get used to the flies and smell. We all forget that human waste is the primary cause of most infectious diseases in other countries.

It does your head in..........
FollowupID: 369787

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 22:26

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 22:26
I get a bit annoyed when people say how bad things are "these days" fact is in years gone by it was far far worse and we would be the cleanest generation out in the bush yet. I did work that meant a fair bit of time out bush and it was perfectly obvios when coming accross old camps that notheing was so much as buried let alone taken back out
FollowupID: 369892

Reply By: guzzi - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 14:12

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 14:12
Ahh,the sweet memories of burning out the crappers.........not.
Even the army gave this away at Shoalwater bay due to pollution problems and invested in big, pemanent composting toilets.
Anyone remember the "FOUL GROUND" signs? and the fact that that spot was not useable for 5 years?
Yes, Crap is hard stuff to get rid of.
Invest in a porta potti and its relevant chemicals, comfortable seat and NO unpleasent poo smell, the chemicals are "perfumed" and much more agreeable that a long or short drop.
Didnt even raise a gag reflex when I have to empty it, impresed me no end as I wasnt looking forward to that bit at all.
Either dig a deep hole or even easier empty down the bowl of the next toilet you come too.
No the chemicals wont kill off the required bacteria in a composting or septic system.
Keep the lot stored in a big plastic storage bin while traveling.
Oh yeah you will be very popular with the female members of your group also....
AnswerID: 113728

Follow Up By: joc45 - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 18:55

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 18:55
Not being critical here - what's the proper disposal method for chem toilet waste? I see so many caravan parks, etc, where there is a sign "no chemical toilet waste".
Gerry
FollowupID: 369853

Reply By: Spango - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 15:40

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 15:40
I remember my Army days and the Thunda Boxes we used, definately would not burn it, not really a smart thing to do, as it will only dry it out and you are left with a dry lump of dung. Whilst serving in Somalia I used to watch the Yanks get the Somalis to burn their crap which was done in a half 44 gal drum and burnt with dieso, the dumb asses (Yanks) could not understand why it didn't disappear.

Cheers
AnswerID: 113747

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 17:42

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 17:42
Got to agree with guzzi. I was happy with a home made collapsable plywood dunny with an old plastic toilet seat over a hole I'd dug. Wife set a new rule. 'I get a proper toilet, or I'm not going camping'. Bought a Porta Pottie. Made up a collapsable plywood stand for it to bring it up to normal hight. She's now happy which makes me happy too. I'm sure we have all learned that one. Unhappy partner means unhappy camping!!

iMusty has a point when the ground is hard. Sounds like you have a choice mate. Carry a crow bar or buy a porta pottie.

BTW, can't believe the number of ex Army guys here. The comment on using diesel for burning off is right. Remember a time when one of the guys emptied two gerries of petrol into a dunny. The explosion when he threw lighted parer in sent S**T everywhere. Funny at the time as I was far enough away. Not so for the bloke who lit it. He was plastered with hot tu*ds.
AnswerID: 113767

Follow Up By: Dog (NT) - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 18:46

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 18:46
Not even all ex!

Very rare to use 'cat sanitation' these days. Almost as important as tying in the guns is liaising with the portaloo contractor to site the portaloo's (very important siting considerations...near a road, close to the troops, far away from the kitchen....)
FollowupID: 369849

Reply By: floyd - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 18:27

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 18:27
You would probably burn all of the hairs on your ass if you $hat onto fires. Then you would be in deep $hit.

I usually do them in a sunny spot let them go hard in the sun, chuck them into the slinshot and send them away at high velocity into the distance. They usually self destruct on contact with the earth.

Once we used a bucket lined with a plastic bag and just tied the bag off after every deposit. Hung them on the spare wheel carrier and the ones that were still there after bouncing down a bumpy bush track were put into a litter bin in the nearest town.

Once I knew a guy who would put them into a potato cannon and shoot them off into the distance when we were allbleeparound the campfire. It was quite funny hearing the "splat" sound as they self destructed against a nearby tree.

I am sure that Truckster will give you another response on this subject. He is the king of everything.
AnswerID: 113769

Follow Up By: warthog - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 22:34

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 22:34
I don't think even Truckster can top that response Floyd, I showed my wife, first time she has read this forum and we both lost it. I can remember some noisy campers I would have liked to have slingshot or potatoe cannoned.
FollowupID: 369895

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 19:21

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 19:21
We carry a cigarette lighter so we can burn the paper after you "see a man about a dog". At least if animals were to dig it up, theres no mess. I hate seeing paper lying around - worst places are those roadside stops.

If theres a few of us, we dig a long drop with a proper plywood dunny and line it with a 20kg flour bag. When packing up, we push the bag in and shovel some coals into the holes, then bury it.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 113778

Reply By: wenabri - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 19:51

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 19:51
Hi
Take it from a bloke who repairs(30yrs) the pumps that move it around, DONT BURN IT
It does'nt matter how long they sit go any where near it with heat and look out, it will smell for days
Cheers Brian
AnswerID: 113783

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 20:27

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 20:27
I guess iM you have ascertained you have a method of clearing an otherwise pristine campsite for yourself.
AnswerID: 113794

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 22:22

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 22:22
I REALLY want to be there when you crap on the fire I dont care how much it smells I just want to see eveyone else face when youthrow another log on the fire and watch the smell blow down wind where some stiffs are trying to enjoy there evening meal. Can I suggest that as has been said it wont burn coz it is wet so I reckon chuck it in the camp oven for 45 min to one hour checking regulary for consistancy when it has dried it could be removed and a burning may be more successful. When totally dry and white another option would be to run it over with a lawn mower pulverising it
AnswerID: 113824

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 22:56

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 22:56
Once had to attend a manure fire it took weeks for the stink to get out of our overalls and vehicles.

From memory the Tasmanian Conservation crowd put out a book on bush toilet etiquette and where and how to go. Amused me no end when i saw it but it is a very serious problem.

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 113835

Reply By: turbopete - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 12:08

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 12:08
I usually mix it with flour and put in the bread maker when cooked it can the be sliced and burnt in the toaster no problem seriously
AnswerID: 113884

Follow Up By: Skinny- Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 12:13

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 12:13
Sorry I don't hav emy glasses is that turdopete ha ha only joking
good one Pete
Skinny
FollowupID: 369939

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 15:31

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 15:31
Reminds me of that song.."put another log on the fire.." Seriously though - try eating a load of charcoal tablets before you take a dump – result - home made heat beads!
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 113912

Sponsored Links