lead replacement fuel in Townsville???

Submitted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 12:51
ThreadID: 23450 Views:1869 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone know of anywere in Townsville that still sells super? I need it for my old corolla that gets me to and from work and as of yesterday the Shell at the Willows no longer sells it. I'm assuming the Shell behind Stockland has gone the same way. They were the only two places I know of that sold it.

I don't really won't to fork out the extra $ to use unleaded but it looks like I might not have a choice.

thanks

matt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: guzzi - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 13:58

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 13:58
Matt,
Leaded fuel and lead replacement fuel has gone the way of common sense ie is gone, dead, its shuffled off this mortal coil etc.
Best bet is to use unleaded of the appropiate octane and an uppercylinder lube like moreys or flashlube, usually 1cc per liter.
1 ltr of additive costs around $15 to $17 and treats a 1000 ltr of fuel.
BTW to be caught useing a leaded fuel like 100LL avgas on the road (which I might add mixed 50/50 with unleaded works very well) is quite expensive if the EPA twigs onto it............
AnswerID: 113723

Follow Up By: mattlobie - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 14:33

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 14:33
Yeah, I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and make the switch eventually anyway. Accoring to the lead replacement petrol guide on the AIP website, my corolla might be able to swtich straight over to unleaded without the use of an additive. Apparently it might require an engine adjustment though. I'm waiting for a reply from Toyota regarding the best octane fuel, the best additive (if required) and whether an engine adjustment is required (and if so, how much it'll cost me).

So we'll see, I guess.

Anyone else been in this boat before?

matt
FollowupID: 369796

Reply By: Willb - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 17:29

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 17:29
mattlobie
The problem using unleaded fuel in a leaded car is if you dont have hardened valve inserts the inserts can deteriate and cause a poor seal between the valve and insert.
The change in engine tune is usually a adjustment to the ignition timing.
Will
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 113762

Sponsored Links