Camping on Fraser.

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 19:59
ThreadID: 23502 Views:2545 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hope someone may be able to offer some advice (be nice please).
Going to Fraser Is on the Queens Bday weekend and am considering taking our camper trailer. However it is currently set up with road wheels and tyres and I am wondering if this will be an issue (ie can I still air them down) and wondering about clearance under the axle (solid beam axle). Any advice greatfully received.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 20:18

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 20:18
Hi Purple:

I took a Kimberley Kamper onto Fraser 2 years ago and had no difficulty. We camped at Dundubara. The run along the beach was easy, and we got it through the soft stuff into the camp ground with no trouble.

Dundubara is probably about as far north as you can go because some of the bypasses around the rocks can be a bit nasty. I haven't seen any camper trailers any further north.

Certainly, air down and just watch where the creeks enpty out onto the beach as sometimes they can get very deep. Might also be worthwile adding to watch your speed, as I saw a camper trailer drifiting on its way to New Zealand after he passed us at well over 100 kph, and obviously had some problems further up the beach.

Hope this helps.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 113961

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 20:59

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 20:59
ZJ? You driving a Grand Cherokee? :)

One thing to make it easier on you up there.... ensure that the track of your trailer matches the track of your vehicle. This way, the trailer travels over previously compressed sand.

If it doesn't - that's OK - you've got plenty of power under the bonnet....
AnswerID: 113966

Reply By: Brian B (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 21:02

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 21:02
Hi,

CLICK HERE for some general info on the island.

We have had our camper on Fraser on many occasions and provided your tow vehicle is up to the job and you observe the few basics such as checking the tides and lowering tyre pressure on tow vehicle and trailer, then you shouldn't have too many problems.

Dundaburra or the private park at Cathedral Beach are great places and you don't have to struggle through the inland tracks to get there when towing.

Enjoy the trip, it is a great spot.
AnswerID: 113967

Reply By: bob - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 21:33

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 21:33
Hi
We took our standard cub drifta 6 to Cathederal beach caravan park. We had no trouble towing it behind our 3.0TD Patrol except the sand getting into the coupling. As said before air down the tyres on the trailer, pick your tides and take it easy and you will have no troubles.

Regards
Bob A
AnswerID: 113980

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 23:49

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 23:49
PurpleZJ
We had the same dilemna as you recently, on the ANZAC weekend to be exact. We have a GQ Patrol and a Cavalier trailer, the trailer "tracks" the same as the Patrol and we found we didn't need to air down the trailer at all. (We run the Patrol tyres at 18psi off road though)
We camped about a K north of Poyungan Rocks, but did tow the trailer around Happy Valley for the hell of it. Didn't get bogged. Pick your tracks carefully and you shouldn't have any drama's.

Have a great weekend!
AnswerID: 114017

Reply By: Big Woody - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 07:23

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 07:23
Hi PurpleZJ,

As you have already said mate,
Just let your tyres down to about 15psi and drag it through. You will find the trailer axle may drag the top off the track in a few spots but it is soft anyway and will not do any damage.
There are enough Subaru's, Suzuki's, Territories etc... burning around up there that keep the hump low enough anyway. We live close to Fraser and go several times each year and have towed some pretty big fishing boats to Orchid Beach and they were all on standard road wheels.
Just keep your speed up through the soft bits and you will easily get a trailer as far north as Ngkala Rocks near Ocean Lake but I wouldn't try to take it past there. As a post above has mentioned, work around your low tides and it won't be hard work at all.

Have a great trip.

Brett
AnswerID: 114039

Reply By: MrBitchi - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 08:52

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 08:52
Regularly tow mine up to Ocean Beach, north of Waddy Point. I don't air down the trailer tyres, just the car tyres. No problems at all, just some soft spots to negotiate on and off the beaches.

Enjoy your stay in paradise.......
AnswerID: 114054

Reply By: PurpleZJ - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 14:19

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 14:19
Thanx very much everyone for all the advice. Looking forward to the trip now (with a bit more confidence)
AnswerID: 114231

Sponsored Links