Question to fellow Waeco owners?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 22:21
ThreadID: 23513 Views:2350 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have an 80 litre waeco and am wondering what other Waeco owners do with the setup of the dividers between the freezer and chiller sections?
usually what I do is set the fridge up at home a day or two before going away and run it at full setting with the bulkheads setup so their is just a small gap at the top of them to let cold air into the fridge section. When I arrive at my destination I turn the fridge down to 2 or 3 lights only however I have noticed that the freezer section stays cold but the chiller section sits around 8c or higher. I end up having to remove the top divider and sometimes the bottom one as well to keep the chiller section nice and cold. Is 8c cold enough anyway and am I perhaps being a little fussy here? Do other Waeco owners have the same problem? Some comments and suggestions would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BenSpoon - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 22:43

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 22:43
I get the same thing in my CF80 when it is used to keep bundys cold. If used for just food, then the freezer generally freezes, otherwise both dividers are out and its on 4 out of 7lights. On this setting it puts ice crystals in cans against the freezer wall and keeps the remainder of the fridge cold.

A suggestion for the control settings: use the turbo button on the controls. It is there to get the fridge chilled to the right temp quickly, and ensures you dont get exploding frozen brews when you forget to put the temp back to a slightly warmer temp.

When initially chilling, take the separators out so there is an even temp thru the fridge, then when you have the freezer loaded, put them back in. Its incredible the amount of energy that is lost every time you open the huge lid.
AnswerID: 114002

Follow Up By: troy35 - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 23:21

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 23:21
Thanks for the advice benspoon,

So what you are saying is that if you use it for food then you keep the freezer as a freezer? If so is your chiller section cold enough? I found that I had to have it up too high to keep the chiller cold enough. 4 lights to me seemed to high and it seemed to cut in too often.
FollowupID: 370034

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 23:35

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 23:35
It does cut in pretty often- you will know if you ever try to sleep next to it.
The chiller section I generally use for stuff that can be stored at room or cool temps- eggs, cheese, vegies etc. The chiller section certainly doesnt get cold, but it is cooler than ambient. Keep in mind that the compartment is directly above the compressor.
I guess it comes down to the ambient temps too- I only used mine in 30-40 degree temps. 4 lights is the usual that I run it on though- just hit the turbo button when it first powers up.
FollowupID: 370036

Reply By: Member - Clive G (WA) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 00:03

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 00:03
thats what I do with my 80 L I start it up the night before, hit the turbo button, during the day when its always used I have 4 leds on it , night times just before we all hit the trents I turn it down to 2 or 3, otherwise you find your precious nectar fluid is starting to ice up., I started to use mine as per instructions 2 or 3 leds but found it wasnt enough, never used it as a freezer yet, so I cant comment on that.

Clive
AnswerID: 114021

Reply By: G-wizz - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 07:50

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 07:50
I haven't used mine enough to know it's idiosyncracies completely but I've found that it's best to run it on almost max with only one divider in and to move stuff around in the fridge once a day or so. (I like my beer real cold)
It's vital to keep plenty of space around the fans too or won't work properly even overnight when it's cooler.
AnswerID: 114043

Reply By: Utemad - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 18:02

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 18:02
If I use mine as a fridge only without the dividers I put it on 2 lights.

If I use it as a fridge/freezer with the dividers I put it on 5 lights.

This seems to work perfectly without having to bother with moving things around or whatever. What does seem to make a big difference is whether or not the compartments are full. Keep the compartments chockers with stuff and your run times are reduced.
AnswerID: 114109

Reply By: Cracka - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 21:53

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 21:53
We run ours with both dividers in and on five leds. Keep it as full as possible and replace the beer used before we go to bed. At night I drop it back another led. The freezer is used as a freezer all the time, even at home. No point dropping nine hundred bucks on a plastic box, might as well use the bugger!
Cracka
AnswerID: 114152

Sponsored Links