Fraser Island

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 11:13
ThreadID: 23528 Views:2169 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Gday All,
For those that are interested just got back from Fraser last Saturday, drove all over the Island on 20 psi in a dual cab hilux no worries except for the Ngkala Rocks bypass, we had to drop to 16 psi to get back over due to a big dip on the northern end of the bypass slowing down any momentum you might have.
The inland tracks all fairly firm no worries there.
Hook Point was no worries 2hr before low.
The Inland track (hook point bypass) was a little bit corrugated. We averaged 30 - 40 kph on the way back.
Fishing was pretty good, we caught a few feeds for 8 of us, a mixed bag of Dart, Whiting, Flathead and Jew. First half of the week we didn’t have any problems with weed but on Friday it started to get annoying with having to clean the line after every cast.

Fuel prices on the Island were:
Eurong – $1.40 ulp / $1.47 Diesel
Happy Valley – $1.48 ulp / $1.54 Diesel
Cathedral – $1.48 ulp / $1.54 Diesel
Orchard Beach – $1.45 ulp / $1.52 Diesel
Kingfisher - $1.50 ulp / $1.50 Diesel

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers
Al
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 12:41

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 12:41
Al...

Great to hear you had a good holiday mate.... I might need some more info on Ngkala rocks though for next time.... I have been threatening to go up to Sandy Cape every time we have gone, but usually other things get in the way and we manage to miss out!

AnswerID: 114083

Follow Up By: DiesAl - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 13:09

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 13:09
Brian, yes holiday was fantastic....kids and wife had a ball (and myself of course, but I have a ball in the middle of nowhere as long as it's out in the bush). Might be heading back it December some time even though it will be a bit busier then...
The Ngkala bypass is a bit soft at the moment heading north had no problems running 20 psi & 2nd High 2500 - 3000 rpm just need to be careful comming down the north side bit of a dip in the track at the moment nothing major just need to back off the right foot and coast through. Comming back though it's slightly uphill, I've no doubt we could've got back through if we gave it a bit of stick but didn't want to chop up the track and besides with the stock suspension on the hilux I'd like to keep the front end where it is.

Might bump into you up there one day (Missus says bugger Inskip... from now on we're payin the $65 for the barge)

Cheers Mate
Al
FollowupID: 370076

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 15:53

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 15:53
that's interesting Al... I usually always select low range when hitting the dunes etc.... (my philosophy is "I have low range and I ain't afraid to use it!") and to date I haven't looked like getting stuck. I was taught sand driving by a Rainbow Beach local who advised me of "Hi 2nd and rev the guts outta it" but apart from his renter, I haven't really used Hi 2nd. When we tried it with the Patrol, it seems to just wander around the dune in lo 2nd.......

We still love Inskip Point and use it as an "overnighter" when we want to have a quick getaway, but yeah.... not a patch on Fraser! Where did you camp??
FollowupID: 370088

Follow Up By: DiesAl - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 17:20

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 17:20
Sorry for the late reply mate have had the chance to log in for some reason my boss expects me to work.
When we were coming back over Ngkala I tried Lo 2nd and bogged down fairly quickly (maybe tyres were just too high) however after dropping to 16psi we still used lo 2nd due to that dip I mentioned and had no probs. However I've found with the hilux Hi 2nd works pretty well I try to sit on 2600rpm which is where the max torque is on the lux. It just seems to float better at this speed and isn't too fast to get out of control.
Having said all that I wouldn't say I'm a very experienced 4wd'er and I'm always open to trying things differently just can't wait to get back and have a play before they board this one up to.
We stayed down near Eurong but it looks like there are still a few good spots between there and the maheno. Didn't get the chance to borrow that GPS so I'll have to put that one on the birthday list.

Does it get tough to find a camp site during the holidays ? We have friends that want to come up with us and that's the only time they can get away.

On the subject of Inskip we had friends who stayed there the week before we went up to Fraser and they said there was rubbish everywhere. We've stayed there a couple of times with these guys and didn't find rubbish to be a problem........maybe need to start up a clean up Inskip week as well.... but that won't stop us using it for the quick weekend getaway.

Cheers

Al

FollowupID: 370477

Sponsored Links