Toolbox to suit ARB Roof Rack

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 18:27
ThreadID: 23540 Views:5608 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a full length (1750mm) ARB roof rack on the Prado and am looking for a toolbox that will fit neatly down one side of it to contain the long handle shovel, tent poles, and other awkward bits and pieces.

I would like something like a really long gun box about 300mm wide, 200mm deep and 1700mm long made from gal steel, weatherproof and securely lockable.

The box would be a permanent mount in one side of the roof rack and ideally would be level with the top tie bar to minimise wind resistance.

Does anyone know of such a product commercially available? Or can anyone recommend a custom manufacturer, preferably in Adelaide?

I looked at the space cases at ARB but they don't make quite the right shape!

I know I could put the shovel on the side of the rack with the ARB clamps but would really prefer it to be in a secure lock box up out of the cabin, away from prying eyes. I can then put tools and stuff up there out the way as well.

Cheers
Muddy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 11:17

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 11:17
Muddy,
What about a certain Mr Wolfie....I believe he is a dab hand with a TIG!!!
Also, don't dismiss the idea of the shovel on it's own holder on the side of the rack. Mine lives there 24/7 and although it's not a flashy unit like yours, nobody has ever bothered to lift it. With that bulky item off the list, you may be able to get the other stuff (tent poles etc) into a length of 4" or 6" poly pipe like I've got on the other side of my rack. You can get these locked by using a padlock on a bolt etc, but once again, I haven't bothered doing that and have never had anything knocked off (advantage of living in the country I suppose).
Cya mate
Roachie
AnswerID: 114215

Reply By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 11:22

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 11:22
Muddy
I have the same roof rack on GU Patrol and had a local aluminium workshop here in Townsville, make a box 1200 long, 500 wide and 300 deep with lid folded over a lip on top of box, all rubber sealed makes it water/dust proof.
Worked a treat on our recent trip to Weipa and cost $330
It is lightweight and goes across the rear of roofrack
Looked everywhere for off the shelf box the right size without success.
More than happy with what I've got now
Cheers Poppy
AnswerID: 114217

Reply By: Trev88 - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 12:50

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 12:50
Hi Muddy

Try adelaide merchandising at marleston
9 Grove Ave
Marleston SA 5033
8297 8444
www.admerch.com.au

I was down there the other day and they have a number of options

Cheers

Trevor
AnswerID: 114226

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 20:48

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 20:48
Hi Muddy,

You might want to watch how much weight you can put on the roof of the Prado - those ARB roofracks are bl**dy heavy , and I think the limit is 100kgs all up.

When I had the Prado, I mounted the shovel on the spare wheel with a couple of strong occy straps thru the wheel centre - easy to get at, and held it real tight. I used a poles bags from Halls Canvas Goods on the rack.

And I'll second Adelaide Merchandising for a huge range of plastic stuff.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 114282

Reply By: Vinnie - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 21:31

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 21:31
G`Day Muddy

If you are going to put a box on the roofrack I would definately suggest alloy as it is light weight and durable.

Try a chequre plate finish in 1.6mm and try at your local sheetmetal shops.

In Newy this size box would set you back about $600, the Townsville price was a bewdy, but, QLD is cheap. LOL

Good hunting
Vinnie

AnswerID: 114293

Sponsored Links