air compressor mounting?

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 20:13
ThreadID: 23545 Views:2039 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Sorry if this has been covered before but couldn't find anything with search.

I have a Big Red air compressor which I intend mounting in the engine bay.

What I want to know is can compressors be mounted on their side or will this kill them quickly?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 04:50

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 04:50
work ones were mounted in the rear vertically and just got moved from vehicle to vehicle along with the entire well body when the vehicles lease was up so I d say no worries
AnswerID: 114185

Reply By: old-plodder - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 08:14

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 08:14
If it is not lubricated, but relies on a 'teflon' coating or such to the bore, angle shouldn't make much difference. Did you check where you bought it?
I have my blue tongue mounted under the drivers seat. Thinking that the cleaner air might give it more life, rather than having that dust around it while travelling and sucking in dust when running. Yes, mine does have a basic filter on the inlet too, but it is only a basic fibre filter.
AnswerID: 114192

Follow Up By: Member - Robert W (VIC) - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 09:05

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 09:05
Mine is under front passenger seat, best kept out heat and dust if possible.
RobW
FollowupID: 370171

Follow Up By: timber - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 11:19

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 11:19
Have mine mounted behind the back seat in my dual cab hilux, same reasons, keeps away from all the dust, dirt and mud that finds its way into the engine bay.

Have seen ARBs mounted at all sorts of angles and they all seem to work OK.

Cheers

Buggerlux
FollowupID: 370191

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 11:20

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 11:20
You guys have obviously never owned a hiliux LOL, I've lucky if I can get a street directory under my seats!

But on top of that, having it hooked up to an air tank and having it automatically cutting in and out when required I can't think of anything worse than having the ol Blue Tounge rattle away inside the cab, holy crap it'd be loud and annoying.

Mines mounted on a 45 degree angle on the wheel arch on the passenger side between the air box and firewall.

The Blue Tounge is a Thomas pump just like the big red, the big red just doesn't have the fan cooled motor so just be careful when using it for long periods on hot days. If it's really hot and or I'm doing more than my 4 tyres (the other week I did 12 tyres in a row none stop) then I pop the bonnet to let some air in.

I don't understand this dust argument. It is very rare to be using the compressor while driving along a dusty road. The air compressor is not going to suck any air through the filter when it's not going. When your stopped there no dust flying around... The only problem I see with engine bay mounting is heat. That's why I went the blue tounge with the fan cooled motor...
FollowupID: 370193

Sponsored Links