For those with a 4by and barn doors

Submitted: Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 03:28
ThreadID: 23548 Views:1893 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
http://www.trektable.com.au/suitable%20vehicles/Toyota%20Landcruiser%20-%2080%20Series.htm
Applogys for those that have seen this already but i certainly thought it looked fantastic. But not $200 or so so I made my own. I am the sort of guy who cant bang 2 bits of wood together so it really is easy. I got a small piece of laminated pine from WA salvadge and some lino also from same place and topped it off with a couple of hinges and screws plus a bungy cord from Bunnings as well as using some straps from a busted ratchet tie down, Total cost less than $30
one tip though is dont use crappy particle board or that manafactured wood and dont just screw the strapping to the board - you need to put small bolts right through with washers each side for when it bangs down.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: slave - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 14:35

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 14:35
They are great aren't they??

Slave made ours and it has been invaluable on our trips. Ours is all stainless steel including a replacing the vinyl door lining with stainless ( easy wipe down when using it as a cooking bench). A piece of ply under the stainless makes a very stable work bench

Mrs Slave
AnswerID: 114234

Reply By: Member - Allan M (ACT) - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 22:23

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 22:23
They are a great idea. As a stingy Scotsman I made my own using 5 ply that was painted so the surface can be easily wiped down.

I made a couple of improvements by adding an extra bungy cord between the two top clips on the door which holds the paper towel in place at the bottom of the window. The second change is using only one hinge in the middle, rather than two. This allows the table top to be quickly swivelled to horizontal by adjusting the straps when parked on a slope. Using only one hinge does require some care not to put too much weight on the rear corners of the table top.

I also made a smaller drop down shelf for the left-hand door that is used to put mugs when making tea or coffee. The Engel fridge is on the left and slides nicely past the shelf when open and allows easy access to milk etc. in the fridge.
AnswerID: 114298

Sponsored Links