Tyre repairs

Submitted: Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 15:15
ThreadID: 23563 Views:5891 Replies:5 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day all,
I recently replaced my cheap tyre repair kit with a quality Safety Seal kit, which prompts me to ask ... is there a quality internal tyre patch kit available on the market ?
Regards,
Bazza.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BenSpoon - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 17:46

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 17:46
The safety seal kit.... I take it thats the one with just the cords and tools for plugging small holes..?
If so, it sounds like you still need something to break the bead and get the tyre off the rim. I picked up the tyre pliers complete kit which comes with the pliers, levers, and all accessories needed to repair a tube or tyre carcass. The accessories are housed in a plastic box which is pretty weak given the weight of the actual tyre pliers themselves, but in the handy canvas bag it has all kept together. I'd recommend picking one up- I think you can even buy just the box with the repair accessories on its own without the tyre pliers, but I imagine it would be cheaper getting the inidvidual components from a truck tyre shop. From memory the box has valves, valve stems, caps, chalk, a rolling wheel and rasp, patches, cords and handles, instruction book, glue, a blade... Short of a compressor and some mug to take the tyre off for ya, its got it all.
AnswerID: 114258

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 20:46

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 20:46
a full tyre repair kit can be bought from Beurepairs (tipp top or something simular) it contains several sizes of patches including tyre patches, glue, roughner valve remover for about $60. I recently spent about $300 on tyre pliers levers patches glue and tubeless repair gear. All the patches and glues can be bought from your tyre place individually to suit your needs. I needed both tube repair gear for my splitties and tubeless gear for my radials
FollowupID: 370253

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 22:45

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 22:45
Ben,

Not quite so Mate.
I also have the tire pliers set, but I understand that for a basic puncture, the beauty of the Safety Seal kit is that you can repair the punture WITHOUT taking the tyre off the rim.

Gotta like that hey?
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 370520

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 00:11

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 00:11
Sandman,
The full tyre pliers repair kit also includes the rasp and needle tools along with the cords to complete a puncture repair without taking the tyre off the veh. I managed to plug one on my last set of MT/Rs... albeit with much verbal encouragement trying to initially get that rasp through the tyre.
FollowupID: 370537

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 18:57

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 18:57
Bazza,
Have a look at the *Outback Explorer* Tyre & Tube Repair Kit
from Rema Tip Top... Quality gear (made in Germany)...

Part # 5798626

has internal (radial) tyre patches, tube patches, & includes a *sealfix* (string type) kit within the overall kit... all you need is there:))

Regards, Ed. C.

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 114265

Reply By: Beast Of Bodmin - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 21:08

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 21:08
Hi ya Bazza,
I'm looking for my first kit, after seeing a mate repair his BFG AT with the safety seal kit, l was sold. However looking at it in ARB, the box is huge.
Duncan's 4x4 does the tyre plier kit alone which was about $75.

Is their really a difference in these kits?

Rema kit is mentioned but l cannot find a supplier for 'outback explorer'. Any clues?

I have never changed a tyre or used these external repair kits, how difficult is it?
Where is the best / cheapest place to buy tyre pliers in Melbourne.

Sorry this reply isn't directly helping your question.
Beast Of Bodmin
AnswerID: 114285

Follow Up By: Footloose - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 21:14

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 21:14
They tyre pliars kit is comprehensive, even comes with a book to explain how to do it. The pliars make breaking the beads so easy. If only the rest was :))
Do at least take a tyre to pieces and reassemble before going bush. It can be a long way between tyre shops.
FollowupID: 370256

Follow Up By: SteveL - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 22:25

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 22:25
Rema tip top has a factory on Princes Hwy Dandenong you may be able to buy it there.-Steve
FollowupID: 370264

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 00:06

Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 00:06
rema tip top is the coca cola of tyre fixing gear any decent tyre place will sell the kits as well as rema patches and glue and etc etc seperately. Is that right Tyre plier kit for $75? certainly is a lot more in Kalgoorlie. OL has the tyre plier for about $170 and the kits in bags for $270. I got the tyre pliers and bought the rst of the gear elsewhere. It cost me a bit more but I didnt like the look of their levers and i got all the patches i wnted and none i didnt
FollowupID: 370273

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 00:19

Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 00:19
Evening All

I had the good fortune to be a 'passage controller' at the recent Out Back Challenge which involved me being with a group of teams 24/7 over the competition period of 7 days.

Prior to this I was a tad 'reticent/shy/not real sure of myself' about using the plug repair regime.

NOT ANYMORE.

That week was THE best experience /on the job training any one could wish for.

I trashed a tyre on an excellent dirt road that left a 20mm gash in the tread and an exit hole in the opposite side wall of 5mm. No idea what did it.

That I thought was the end of that. No way Jose', under the 'boys' guidance I plugged that sucker with 5 plugs in the tread and one in the side wall.

Yeah! Yeah! I know - you shouldn't do that etc etc etc, however I had an active spare (150kms from civilisation) until I had a replacement sent out the following day.

Whatever trashed it also compromised the side wall laminations in the same spot causing a slight bulge on re- inflation. Yep! a cactus tyre.

Anyway, the new one arrived and the 'boys' told be to bring it over between competition stages ( sweet F A time in reality) and I watched two of them rip the trashed tyre off the rim in just under a minute, refit the rim to the new tyre and seat it in under 30 seconds then re-inflate it.

Must say I was gob smacked as it all took place on a piece of canvas on the ground alongside their competion machine in the middle of nowhere.

How did they do it??

Well you had to be there to see it, however I will say the majority of them carried Safety Seal Kits, I also carry one and I won't be holding back in giving it a workout if necessary from now on.

The amazing thing was that there was no ancillary backup workshop gear available, they just used what they carried. Tyrepliers, Tyre levers, BIG hammer, safety Seal kit etc etc.
AnswerID: 114304

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 05:22

Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 05:22
read as many books/pamphlets as you want but theres nthing like being shown eh. I am still do do a one piece tyre but have done plenty of splittys I would be most interested in seeing the extra effort - if any required
FollowupID: 370278

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 22:19

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 22:19
Hi Davoe,

hehehehe

I guess one day we'll convert you to tubeless :-)))

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 370647

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 01:47

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 01:47
No chance Phil, Tubeles are fine for beach, highway and well formed tracks but as woolfie found out when the going gets tough nothing compares to cross plys mounted on splitties. When everyone else is sitting on their rims you just jump out with a small screw driver and dig all the bits of wood out then crack a beer while they are fixing tyres. As they lament the passing of a $300+ cooper tyre with a huge rip in the sidewall you watch their jaw drop when you tell them your tyres (which are still up) cost only half that
FollowupID: 370655

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:02

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:02
Hi Davoe,
Just having a bit of fun :-)
I agree with you about the Coopers though - they seem to puncture more often than most. I think Coopers have got everyone bluffed.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 370667

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 21:50

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 21:50
Wasnt Firing up phil prob should have put one of these in:) what has fired me up is everytime I Am on break I go bush (not hard in Kal) I get punctures or tyre damage (some irrepairable) on only moderate tracks. Last break I got some splitties complete with crossplys and even though they are 98% worn I never punctured them despite getting quite a few sidewall steaks (just dug them out) and that was giving them a far harder time than my Toyo Opats would have taken. BTW like your rig those 79s are the toughest vehicle on the market today (click on my rig pic and you will see what they can take week after week) people can talk nissan as much as they like but when you have take a vehicle and bulldoze bush week after week over stump and through tree you soon realize why carparks with work vehicles are full of 75/79 utes
FollowupID: 370737

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 08:16

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 08:16
Hi Davoe,

I have done the same stretch of road that Wolfie described 3 times in the past 3 years - and only 2 punctures between a total of 19 vehicles - one was just a tubeless plug and the other was a splittie that needed a patch; and no suspension problems. Wolfies group had the tyre and suspension hassles because they didn't reduce tyre pressures. I ran 17psi on that road last time - most people were running 20-24psi. Wolfie ran 34psi.

I guess my point is that there are other ways of reducing punctures, apart from resorting to 14ply crossplies, which must be a pretty crappy bitumen tyre (I used crossplies on my early 4wds). I've personally had one puncture in the past 6 years, and I do 2 major desert trips a year, and a stack of Flinders/High Country and other club trips.

The change to the 79series has been nice. Have spent a lot of time fitting it out - will try it out in the Flinders this weekend, and the Hay River in the Simpson at the end of the month. They are the pick of the trucks once the kids have flown.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 370785

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 11:56

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 11:56
I guess I was sold when I started work at the Geological Survey and driving on even the crapiest track was a luxury usually no tracks over stumps, logs and heaps of burnt out country, Sort of stuff that radials wouldnt last 5 min but I would go days without flats and all were repairable I figured if hey would take that then anything you would throw at them in your own vehicle would be a doddle. Only thing that stopped them was stingers 30cm high sharp as knives (one gashed my shin to the bone) burned out sticks but even then just fix the tube and way you go, gives you immense confidence when you are right out amongst it
FollowupID: 370811

Reply By: D-Jack - Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 09:04

Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 09:04
I would just like to congratulate all EO readers for not turning this thread into a Tyrepliers vs Beadbreakers debate. To be commended.

D-Jack

p.s. because we all know tyrepliers win hands down
AnswerID: 114410

Sponsored Links