FISHIN IN PRINCESS CHARLOTTE BAY AREA

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 10:37
ThreadID: 23580 Views:7110 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi every one. My brother in-law in Townsville is going up to Pincess Charlotte Bay fishin for ten days and i was going to tag along, could any one tell me what the fishin is like and the area would it be worth going from Adelaide.Im 50/50 at the moment on what to do.Should i go or should i go some were else like the red centre which was the original plan.Any replys would be a help thanks cheer's GREENDOG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: hoyks - Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 10:59

Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 10:59
Depends if you are a fan of fishing or not. Not much fishing in the Red Centre.
North of Cairns the fishing is very good apparently, if it was me, I'd go.
AnswerID: 114329

Reply By: Tripp'n Around - Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 11:30

Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 11:30
Hi Peter

If you mean that you are going through Lakefield N.P. up to Bathurst Head in the Princess C/Bay area then type in "Bathurst" in the search option on here.
There is a person on EO who goes regularly up that way so you maybe able to find one of his posts in there.

Have been told that in order to catch barra the letter "r" must be in the months name, which leads to September and after as good times.
In truth, the water is too cold for them to feed until September, so the locals say anyway.
You should have luck with other varieties of fish though.
Lakefield is one of the few N.P. that allows fishing and barra of good sizes have been caught in there, even in the months without and "r" in it.

Enjoy and watch the crocs.

Cya
Tripp'n
:)
AnswerID: 114334

Follow Up By: peter in sa - Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 11:47

Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 11:47
Thanks. He is going up to Bathurst Head.And going in the first week of Augast .cheer's
FollowupID: 370290

Reply By: friar - Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 15:33

Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 15:33
Hi Peter
Just returned from bathurst headland,the fishing was average,very windy for most of the 3weeks i was there,did manage to catch 1barra of 4kg,plenty small cod,we managed to get over to the islands a couple of times &catch some nice grass sweetlip,the crabbing was excellant,if you have good pots that the turtles have trouble getting your bait, you will catch more than you can eat while camping there
Friar
AnswerID: 114350

Follow Up By: peter in sa - Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 16:11

Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 16:11
Thanks mate for your reply. what was the track like going into the area,and what about the crocs do you see many at all.cheers GREENDOG
FollowupID: 370300

Reply By: Toy_Hilux - Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 22:07

Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 22:07
Hi Peter,

The fishing up this way is good no matter what time of the year it is. Around August the weather is not too hot or cold. And there are plenty of crocs so just dont go swimming. The hunting is not too bad either and you can also go and test out the ol 4by out as well. Overall, A trip that I wouldn't want to miss out on if I were you.
AnswerID: 114387

Follow Up By: peter in sa - Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 23:57

Saturday, Jun 04, 2005 at 23:57
Thanks for the reply it sounds like i've got same thinkin to do i now it would be a great trip it's just a matter of doing it from Adelaide it would be a mission. Do you now what the track is like once you get in side Lakefield N/P cheer's GREENDOG
FollowupID: 370324

Reply By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 17:29

Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 17:29
Hi Pete
Mate go for it, you won't regret it
I came back from Weipa last week and spoke to a few travellers who were returning from Princess Charlotte Bay and they said the road through Lakefield was fairly corrugated, But hey, that shouldn't stop you if you are serious about your fishing and 4 wheel driving.
It is a great place and you will enjoy it I'm sure, although it is getting a bit late for barra fishing as once the water temp drops below 28c thay tend to go off the chew a bit and you have to work a bit harder for them, but there will be lots of king salmon around and they are better chewing anyway plus don't forget the muddies.
Don't worry too much about the crocs as there is often too much hype about them anyway, just use common sense and stay out of the water.
I know S.A. is along way to come from but take a mate for company.
Cheers Poppy
AnswerID: 114448

Follow Up By: Ronnie - Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 18:03

Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 18:03
Hi Poppy,
Heading up that way from Tassy 9th July for 12 weeks,you have conviced me to take the Tinny.
Regards Ronnie
FollowupID: 370352

Follow Up By: peter in sa - Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 18:28

Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 18:28
Hi Poppy thanks mate for the reply it does sound to good to miss out on.I'll have to make up my mind soon to book my holidays but i can tell you these replys have helped me to make my mind up.keep an eye out Poppy and i'll let you know were we end up cheer's GREENDOG.
FollowupID: 370357

Reply By: friar - Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 18:58

Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 18:58
Greendog the road in is pretty good a few sandy patches, if you want to go around to boat bay which is through a gate just a 200meters before you get to the beach
at bathurst headland the track up the hill is pretty steep &rocky pick the right line & you will have no trouble, only saw 1snapping handbag they are there just use common sense when around waters edge & getting in &out of boats, enjoy your trip
Friar
AnswerID: 114457

Sponsored Links