GU sub tank: LRA or Brown Davis

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2359 Views:5571 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I would like to replace the sub-tank in my GU Patrol and I don't know which to choose - LRA 75 lt or Brown Davis 80 lt. Does anybody have an experience with any of this tanks ?

TIA.

Dmitri.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Will - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00
Dmitri,
I was looking at changing mine some months back, when I did some research I found that:
When they install them, they cut and reweld the floating system (drives the gauge and transfer pump).
Tank hungs low below the chassis rail.
I did not go ahead.
Recently I heard that people had troubles with tanks cracking (even those who had assured me theirs does not crack).
I also heard from people with transfer pump/gauges problems after they replaced the tank.

I am glad I haven't changed mine.
Will
Some recent
AnswerID: 8470

Reply By: CLIVEB - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00

DIMITR,
SOME YEARS AGO B/DAVIS HAD A POOR REPUTATION FOR LEAKING TANKS,THIS IS NO LONGER A PROBLEM ,AND IS REPLACED BY A POOR ATTITUDE TOWARDS CUSTOMERS.
PARTICULARY WHEN TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ARE ASKED,OR IF A CLUB DISCOUNT ENQUIRY IS MADE.
I BELIEVE LRA HAVE NON OF THESE PROBLEMS AND SUGGEST YOU ENQUIRE THERE.
GOOD LUCK,A WELL MADE LONG RANGE TANK IS THE BEST ACCESSORY YOU CAN OBTAIN.
AnswerID: 8475

Follow Up By: Janset - Saturday, Nov 16, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 16, 2002 at 01:00
CliveB.
My advice in this regards is forget the name and by something made locally. I live in WA and purchased a S/S Brown built belly water tank. The welding started to leak in just under a year or whatever but still in the warranty period.

The warranty said that I should remove it, send it back at my expense they would then fix it and then send it back to me, again at my expense..

YEH RIGHT!!!!

Two freight charges across the country, how much do you think that would cost?

I finished up fixing it myself. So you see some warranties are not worth the paper that they are written on. And I was influenced by their reputation??????

Buy local then you can always put more pressure on them if the thing is a dud or faulty.

Regards
FollowupID: 4190

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00

As it was said on here and the patrol list, there are + and - stories on every accessory on the market. Which is annoying as they come.

I think the best way is to shop around LOTS, at different places, ask the same questions of each place, and see what they all say! Even call interstate which is what i did with my Turbo.

Then from the info and attitudes gained, that sort of helps out with the decision. Well it did for me.
EG. one Turbo place in Dande, the salesman had no idea and had to ask someone for EVERY question I had in relation to the turbo and kits. He made phone calls and all!! I walked out. Shows they dont know what they are selling. So him telling me his is the best meant NOTHING!

Also good to go to a 4wd club to do with your truck and see what sort of options people there are using. Longranger may be good for Jackaroos and not Patrols etc..

Out of interest, did you have any luck with the archives on the patrol list? Wasnt sure which one people had problems with the after sales service.
AnswerID: 8477

Follow Up By: Dmitri - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Truckster,

Yes, I searched in the archives on 3 or 4 forums and I've found that all owners of Brown Davis tanks mentioning the leakage and cracks (except Roly, who has 2 Brown Davis tanks). I have not found any problems reported by the owners of LRA tanks, but the total number of reports is very small.

I've spoken with ARB(main office)- they install only Long Ranger (145lt main tank replacement) - the ARB product and they do not want to deal with anything else.

FollowupID: 4108

Reply By: Goodsy - Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00
If you buy a brown davis install it your self and make sure you clean all the slag out of the tank. My old man and a mate have had brown davis tanks installed, no problems with leaking but fuel filters on both cars are changed on a regular basis 10000K by force (car stops no fuel). Good strong tank but needs to be cleaned!!!
AnswerID: 8504

Reply By: Mike - Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00

Having just returned from 4 months out on the track, I also picked up some research on replacement tanks. For a start, let me say, DON'T buy your tank from 4WD Systems in SA. I heard from guys who do recoveries in the outback and the Kimberly, that 4 out of every 5 fuel tank problems he deals with are BD tanks. Most experience splitting along weld lines, others are problems with slag and rust in the tanks. I spoke to a tour operator who had to remove his BD tank because of the amont of problems. I have had similar problems with my replacement tank. As a hint, if you fit any type of steel tank, throw in some magnets, (old speaker magnets are good), to catch the floating metal that outback corrugations will shake loose. Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 8513

Follow Up By: Will - Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00

Again,

I am glad I have not changed my tanks....

I have done the cape, Simpson, High country and the GU had just enough range...

A longer range would be nice but not with "any" of these problems...

Will
FollowupID: 4132

Follow Up By: Allyn - Friday, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:00
I have had a 4WD systems replacement tank in my 80 series for 20 000 km's at least now and have had no dramas even with decent knocks(GRR, Kalumburu, Mitchell Plateau, Great Sandy Desert, Pilbara tracks). Drain plug is magnetic also.
Question : are BD same as 4WD systems?
Have to agree with Truckster as to the level of response you get from them but if you ring direct they're okay.
FollowupID: 4163

Reply By: Truckster - Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00

For a start, let me say, DON'T buy your tank from 4WD Systems in SA. . I heard from guys who do recoveries in the outback and the Kimberly, that 4 out of every 5 fuel tank problems he deals with are BD tanks

Ive mailed this company, and called them, never had someone answer the phone! Is it the one with the 2+ page ads in 4wd mags isnt it? Ive never had a response ONCE from them on anything! Good service or what! That sort of to me says lots about any company.
AnswerID: 8522

Reply By: Bob Y. - Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00

Dmitri, We replaced the sub tank on an 80 series with an LRA tank, fitted by ARB in Rocky in June, 2000. Have done almost 60,000 kms since, some of that on rough gravel, with plenty of corrugations. No signs of leaks, cracks or breakages. Only downside is filling up when on holidays! The fuel gauge mightn't suit some people, but we're used to it now. Catch you later...
AnswerID: 8540

Sponsored Links