camper trailers

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 18:39
ThreadID: 23605 Views:2898 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Wondering if there is anyone who may have first hand experience with either the Jayco or Coromal type camper trailers.
The type we are looking at are the ones that go up and the beds push out either end. The Coromal type also have a push-out kitchen, (on the newer types).
Off-road types seem to be stronger and perhaps a better option.
Does anyone have a preference/opinion for either of these two?
On demonstration they both appear quite simple to set-up and would maybe give better fuel economy as they reduce down to a virtual trailer for towing.
Interested to know about good/bad stories!
Thanks,
Alison
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 18:52

Sunday, Jun 05, 2005 at 18:52
Alison, perhaps first respondents need to know where you are anticipating going. The offroad types are undoubtedly stronger and there are many stories of Jaycos on the side of the road in more isolated parts of Australia. If you ever anticipate some outback or away from bitumen road travel you have to consider the strenght. There was a Jayco beside the road for instance that I saw at Oodnadatta and I thought the roads were good.......... I think it was there for several weeks.

Have fun when you go though anyway, having settled on a way to go.
AnswerID: 114456

Reply By: pmacks - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 09:12

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 09:12
Gday,
We have goldstream off road camper ( i know its not a jayco or a corrimal ) and we have towed it every where, its been to cape york and accross the simpson and we have never had an issue with it. Our freinds have a Jayco eagle and it has also been to the cape and the simpson with out issue. Yes we have heard the horror stories of this type of unit falling to bits but in my experience the reason they fail is because of the way people drive and the tyre pressures they run. They are like all things you can kill them if you try but if you look after it they will give many years trouble free enjoyment
Pmacks
AnswerID: 114511

Follow Up By: Skinny- Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 09:15

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 09:15
Hi Pmacks , tell me more about the tyre pressure you recommend for what conditions

Skinny
FollowupID: 370404

Reply By: pmacks - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 09:37

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 09:37
Hi Skinny,
this is my experience only and iam sure others will disagree maybe.
When touring the out back say the plenty highway we run 25-30 psi on the trailer across the simpson the trailer was down to 18-20 psi and cape york around the 25-30 psi again on the road we run 38psi but it does depend on the conditions at the time. We were at cape palmeston up near Sarina once and the sand was so soft in one place we were running 10psi but as a rule on dirt roads its 25-30psi and in sand 18-20 psi.
This works for us anyway. OH and drive to the conditions :)
pmacks
AnswerID: 114515

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 16:07

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 16:07
I woud say that Pmack is pretty right. But qould suggest you shell the extra bucks for the Off road version. The frame is that much stronger and that is worth having.

I had a neighbour who towed an off road Jayco all over the place, he even modified it to get extra gear (and weight) in it. I alos travelled with a friend towing a standard Jayco from Bourke to Wentworth along the Darling and it was very second hand when he got it home. We also spent a bit of time doing running repairs along the way.

It was not an issue of going too fast either. I spent more time waiting for him than you could imagine. It is worht the effort to choose well the first time.

Duncs
AnswerID: 114595

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 16:08

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 16:08
Please forgive the spelling. It is more an issue of typing accuracy, I'll try to do better in the future.
FollowupID: 370462

Reply By: gone bush - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 20:40

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 20:40
we bought a 1997 coromal camper 4 years ago, we are pleased with it and it hasn't given us any major problems, the only thing in that time was the winch and cables just needed tightening, hubby did it qite easy with the help from this forum.
I would guess that ours wouldn't be quite as fuel freindly as the Jayco as it's quite a bit higher and heavier than the Jayco's of the same age, (not sure about the difference in the new ones). We do feel though that it is quite a bit stronger than the others. good luck with it all.
AnswerID: 114954

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 23:07

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 23:07
We have had a Coromal Pioneer Silhouette 3.9 for about three months now. We ordered it brand new after checking out the lot at various caravan shows. We are very pleased with it. We have just done a trip Adelaide to Birdsville, Innamincka, Camerons Corner Tibooburra. Some of the roads were very rough and there was plenty of dust. We get only a fine film of dust inside. I saw a Goldstream at Mungeranie that had buckets full of dust inside after 300-400 KM.

Advantages of the Coromal are
1. Good strong chassis
2. Heaps of extra space due to the push out kitchen
3. Bench height is normal van height (Jaycos are a good 50mm lower at the benches)
4. Streamlined fibreglass shape good for towing and sheds water readily. Attractive and draws positive comments from all who inspect it.
5. Full size door replaces the travelling door (which converts to an outside table)

Some negative points on the Coromal.
1. Quite heavy draw bar weight (100KG+). Loading junk into the front boot makes it even heavier.
2. Poorly assembled water tank had a broken drain plug and we lost water on the first trip
3. Poorly fitted step cum inspection cover near the larger bed. It broke away on the first trip.
4. Had to wait two weeks to get the dealer to attend to problems.
AnswerID: 114980

Follow Up By: nebles - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 19:02

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 19:02
Hi Kingsley N
Very interested in your comments.
We have since purchased a Coromal Silhouette 391 (Pioneer) and we are very impressed with it.
Only been away once so far, just to (play) and leaving end of June for Shark Bay.
I agree with your point 3. under negatives, yes the step is not strong at all and we shall not be using it to store anything because once you lift it up it does not want to sit back. The unit we purchased was 12 months old so a 2004 model and hardly used, but had I purchased it new I would have had it back to the dealer definately. We shall double check the water tank drain plug. Thanks for that.
Eventually we want to travel across to Melbourne and put the vehicle, camper trailer, us and our little maltese on the ferry and do Tasmania. Will wait for the warmer weather to come for that.
I agree with your positives. Alison
FollowupID: 371913

Follow Up By: Wombat - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 13:00

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 13:00
Whooo hoo. That makes three Silhouettes on ExplorOz. Tasmania 2006 here we come.
FollowupID: 372014

Reply By: rudu - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 12:58

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 12:58
ALISON

WE HAVE JUST BOUGHT A OFF ROAD CAMPER TRAILER(GOLDSTREAM) AND ARE VERY DISAPOINTED WITH IT. THE WORKMANSHIP IS VERY POOR AND S.A DEALER WAS AS SHONKY AND SLACK AS THEY COME (D.B.C). REALY IF YOUR GOING OFF THE DIRT ROAD AND ON SOME HALF ROUGH TRACKS THERE NO GOOD. IF YOU DO BUY ONE MAKE SURE YOU GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR AND MAKE THEM PUT IT ALL TOGETHER IN THERE YARD BEFORE YOU PAY YOUR FULL AMOUNT. AS ONCE THEY HAVE YOUR MONEY THEY DONT CARE. THE JAYCO HAS THE BEST ROAD HEIGHT WHICH IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING. AND THEN CONSIDER THE PRICE BECAUSE YOU CAN ALWAYS SPEND A BIT TO MAKE SOMETHING BETTER.

GOOD LUCK

AnswerID: 115537

Sponsored Links