Pascoe on Frenchmans Track

Submitted: Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 13:24
ThreadID: 23633 Views:3869 Replies:9 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys

Looking for first hand experience on how bad is the Pascoe River crossing on the frenchmans track. I've heard a lot of conflicting advice on how bad this crossing really is, we are planning to do it around the end of June this year with 3 vehicles, 1 - 79 series with double diff locks and winch, 1 - hilux with double diff locks and winch and 1 - prado with suspension lift and cooper S/T's, all diesels. Are we asking for trouble or is it do-able?

Cheers
Jeff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Well 55 - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 13:30

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 13:30
The crossing itself has a lot of large rocks in it and has to be walked along both wheel tracks and mark the line if you can.

It is do-able but a lot of care is required, the flow of the river there is quite strong as it narrows down compared to the one coming in from the Archer.
AnswerID: 114570

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 13:33

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 13:33
G'day mid life,

Done it twice and the last time with a heavy trailer. Mate I would do it again tomorrow but this time I would follow a better line on the way out - alway seem to pick the wrong one and get hung up.

The last trip there were 5 vehicles (all with trailers, 1 GUII patrol, 1 100 series, 1 disco and 2 tritons) none with diff locks so I would suggest that you won't have any problems. I reckon the only thing your asking for is a fantastic trip and destination.

Kind regards!MPG:5!
AnswerID: 114572

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 14:11

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 14:11
Have crossed there twice, once in a Padj and once in a Cruiser. Both times on my own. No worries either time. Walked it before of course. The water level can vary and yes it flows quickly.
AnswerID: 114580

Reply By: Leroy - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 14:23

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 14:23
Big rocks entering from the North when I crossed 2 seasons ago (seems a life time now). Water level wasn't that high. Just walked it, tarped up and no problems. Was on my own in a 2000mdl Rodeo.

Leroy
AnswerID: 114584

Reply By: KOR - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 17:13

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 17:13
Hi,

We were there last year in june. We had

Holden Jackaroo - stock standard towing a kimberly camper - petrol
2 x GQ patrols - snorkels fitted - petrol
1X Gu patrol - snorkel fitted towing trailer

Travelling East to West, the intersection was difficult to find as there was no sign.
We walked the river first and then had passengers stand on the big rocks. We all tarped up the engines. We took the GQ patrols through first and then the Jackeroo which didn't quite make it up the hill and had to be snatched. It is a bit of a dive into the river. The water came just to the top of the lights in the GQ which has a 4 inch lift but a LOT of gear inside. It is a rather LONG drive - took us all day to get from Weipa to Chilli Beach (but remember we had 2 cars towing)

We got to the other end and the sign at the ranger station said: warning - road not suitable for towing and only suitable for diesel engines...

Good luck. We loved it... the track and the road into Chilli beach was probably the most testing of our abilities - everything is just BUMPY. Check out the feature in this month's 4x4 mag.

Cheers
AnswerID: 114607

Reply By: The Rambler - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 23:18

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 23:18
Crossed West to East (the most difficult way) with a troopy--no diff. locks and no snorkel.Yes I did get stuck but with a bit of patience and High Lift jack I was on my way.Remember that with water crossings don't try and get through as quickly as you can because slow and steady is the way to go.
AnswerID: 114695

Reply By: Member - Ross P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 15:32

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 15:32
Jeff,

I suppose its like most things... it depends !!! We went through West to East and then back again West to East late in the season last year (around end of July) so the water flow or depth was not a problem.

I found the entry from the West pretty rough and did scrape a liitle on the way down but not too much drama at all, really. No problem through the water or out the otherside. No problem East to West but I did take a better line.

We were followed through by a couple of Cruisers pulling trak shak campers. One lost a mud flap but that's about all.

On the East to West trip we met a Rodeo who decided it was too difficult and turned around. He went the "long-way" round ended up only about 10 mins behind us when we joined the main trak.

See my rig photos. There's a shot of the Paj on the way in from the west.
AnswerID: 114764

Reply By: Reto - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 19:40

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 19:40
G'day

In august 2003 I crossed the Pascoe from west to east. At this time, water level and flow was no problem. The western side is very rocky and steep – the eastern side might be slippery. The following two movies give you an idea of the area.

Pascoe River
Pascoe River

Photo gallery Frenchmans Track - Chili Beach

Cheers
Reto - Switzerland
AnswerID: 115110

Reply By: mid life - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 09:32

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 09:32
Thanks for the info guy's especially Reto's photo's you have convienced us to give it a try if the weathers OK.

Leaving Monday

Cheers
Jeff
AnswerID: 115184

Sponsored Links