How to justify a lift!

Submitted: Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 17:10
ThreadID: 23640 Views:2822 Replies:9 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Well, it goes like this.
I have been contemplating a 2” lift for the past year or so, to give that little bit of extra ground clearance, but have been putting it off as a “nice to have” rather than a “must have”.

Now, about eight months ago, I invested in a Camper Trailer and over the last few camping trips, noticed that on occasion, I had trouble swinging the jockey wheel into its travelling position. Not too bad when on dirt, it was just a matter of scraping a shallow groove to give the jockey wheel the necessary clearance. But on a concrete driveway, or at a Camping ground where the ground is nicely grassed, it became a hassle to wind the wheel up enough to gain the clearance.

Cut and re-weld you say? No way. That would be a major exercise and would look like bleep .

“How about I lift the Jack a couple of inches” I said to SHMBO. “Should work” she agrees.

So that is how I justified a modest lift.

Got it done today.
Will find out this weekend if it worked:-)))
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: D-Jack - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 17:26

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 17:26
Cool Sandman,

I'm along similar lines but mine goes like this.

'Honey I think the car needs new shockers (probably not really), may as well get them replaced with ones that will last or we will just have to replace them again in the not too distant future. While they are at it we may as well get a little lift for the back end, just to ensure we don't get stuck anywhere with our children (11 months and -3 months) and won't cost that much more anyway. The front end is free, just wind to adjust, and I needed a wheel allignment anyway."

The result - Am getting mine done in next couple of months!

Let us know how yours is going. Someone who should know said to wait for a couple of weeks to let front end settle in before alligning (assuming you are doing the torsion bar thing)

Good luck and keep all of us low Jack owners informed.

D-Jack

AnswerID: 114614

Reply By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 17:41

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 17:41
Well done Sandman,

I don't have a camper and mine's a work vehicle, so I'm still running the options through the brain. Also, mine's only done 15k, so the old "pretty warn shocks" won't work for me either.

If something inspirational springs to mind, you be sure and let me know.

Cheers and safe driving,

Smocky.
AnswerID: 114621

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 18:17

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 18:17
hmmm, Honey, the back end on the work cars dragging, will take the whole rear end out on a driveway one day soon that would cost a bundle, I better do something about that right away, 50mm lift and new longer shocks should do the trick....my mate Craze should be able to help out with a Ironman setup ........ Gee thie EO is a time and money saver, imagine the claims if an old lady fell over the rear bumper as it scraped and fell off over that driveway....

Yes Darling get that arranged immediately!!!
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 370710

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 17:50

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 17:50
Hi D-Jack,

Definitely get the shockers done Mate. You will notice the difference immediately and it will save the kiddies teeth when you bounce over those corrugations:-)

The adjustment of the front stabilisers and the installation of the new springs included a wheel alignment in the total cost so I assume the Jack needed to be re-aligned straight away. You could be right about having it redone after the suspension has settled though. I will keep my eye on the tyre wear.
Bill

AnswerID: 114624

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 20:40

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 20:40
Forum user 'Crazie' gave me this info. He may see your thread and comment further. Has just done his vehicle using ironman suspension, and raves about it.

D-Jack
FollowupID: 370504

Reply By: Hun - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 17:58

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 17:58
Just do what I did....Nag to get a Snorkel fitted and once successfull come home at the end of the day with the snorkel and a whole new Old Man Emu suspension system.
When the bitching dies down after a few days ALL IS SWEET.

Hun
AnswerID: 114629

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 18:21

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 18:21
yes I always work on the premise..."Forgiveness is easier to get than permission".....
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 370712

Reply By: Utemad - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 18:26

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 18:26
All I had to do was say "I'm putting a lift kit in the Rodeo this weekend". The only part that annoyed her was when she wanted to borrow it when the rear suspension was still sitting on the floor.
AnswerID: 114633

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 18:33

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 18:33
Aaahh, what a woman!
FollowupID: 370487

Reply By: Nudenut - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 20:54

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 20:54
you havent told her your a con from way back?
AnswerID: 114660

Reply By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 22:07

Monday, Jun 06, 2005 at 22:07
Gday Sandman,'

To be honset mate, unless you are just doing it for a trip so you have better ride and more reliability, 2 inches doesn't make a heck of a difference once it settles. If you can and I'm not sure obtain a 3 inch kit, this will be better for clearance. And once it settles, it is a true 2 inch lift.

Of course, there are the negatives...will your insurance cover you for aftermarket suspension etc etc etc.

Just from experience, in 6 months time, you will notice little difference.

Cheers

Chris.
AnswerID: 114682

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 17:42

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 17:42
Chris,

2" lift is what I asked for. 70mm lift (rear) and 55mm (front) is what I got.

Assume the 70mm will drop to about 50mm after the new springs have settled, so I am happy the Installer (4WD Systems) knew what they were doing.

I'm sitting so high at the moment I'm almost giddy:-)))
Bill

FollowupID: 370604

Reply By: Diamond (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 12:39

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 12:39
now my wife could tell me how much a doona set is a dinner ware set or any thing else i dont wanna know about. lol
but she has no idea what a set of shockers/coils are worth.
geez darl the shocks on the patrol are getting to soft for my liking we better think about putting new ones in what do you think with the kids and all.
good idea how much are shockers love of my life.
no idea love its been a while since we bought any ill price them tommorow .
i go and price shockers and lifted coils $800ish.
geez darl i priced the shockers good ones are about $200 each(note the coils arnt mentioned)but what price do you put on safety dear.
your so smart love thats why i married you(wasnt for my looks)
i go buy/fit shocks and coils and come home.
come for a drive love just so you can see how bad the old shocks were compared the the new ones.
1st thing she notices is she cant climb in now.
geez love it seems to bit a little harder to get into now.
oh yes love i told you them other shocks were bad they must have sagged a couple of inches.
after the test drive she says geez i didnt notice how bad them old shocks were untill you drive with new ones its so much better now and im sure we will all be much safer.
yes i say im only thinking of you now are you up for an early night:-)).
you can guess the rest.
AnswerID: 114743

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 17:45

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 17:45
So Diamond,

You then justified the Side Steps did you not????
Bill

FollowupID: 370605

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 22:15

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 22:15
>>>good idea how much are shockers love of my life.
boy this arguement got really soppy just here jim... LMAO
FollowupID: 370644

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 17:22

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 17:22
geez you blokes are lucky i wanta new digi slr camera all i got was camera or holiday argument need camera for holiday didnt work "just use the camera youve got " are well such is life

steve
AnswerID: 114784

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 22:13

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 22:13
just do it steve!!!
youve done the course... ;)
FollowupID: 370643

Sponsored Links