Access to Cox's River - Via 6 Foot Track

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 10:28
ThreadID: 23659 Views:4102 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Folks,

Does anyone know if it's possible to get to the Cox's River along the 6 Foot Track from the Jenolan Caves Road?

I have the CMA maps, and it looks OK, but was just wondering if there were any catches (like private land, etc...).

A group of us are going to do a bit of exploring this weekend, and this seems like a good destination.

Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 10:35

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 10:35
Chris

Yep - the 6 Foot Track goes right over the suspension bridge across Cox's River. My wife Jenny and I did the walk from the Explorer's Tree at Katoomba all the way to Jenolan - and If I remember rightly we crossed Coxs River not too far before Jenolan. Going the other way, the 6FT starts just above the top carpark at Jenolan and crosses the main road a couple of times before spearing off towards the Coxs River.

I hope that you're walking.... and not trying to drive.... ;)
AnswerID: 114734

Reply By: chris_legend_25 - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 10:49

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 10:49
Sorry - I should have been a bit more clear. We are driving.

Obviously we can't drive the whole length, but from what I can remember (12 or so years ago), most of the track was along fire trails and stuff on the Jenolan Caves side of the Cox's River.
AnswerID: 114735

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 10:57

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 10:57
We'll let you go this time ... ;)

Yeah - of course you can drive - right down to the river. Walkers on this track often employ tour companies to drive their gear down to the cabins there so they can walk without the 50kg my wife and I each had strapped to our backs. It's a pretty slippery and steep drive down... but easy enough.
FollowupID: 370556

Reply By: Vince NSW - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 11:06

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 11:06
Chris.
There is a track all the way to the Cox's River at Mudering Creek Junction.
Leave the Janolan Road and take the Black Range Rd.
We had a 2 WD truck down there about 2 mths ago without much drama.
The only Caution is that it is used by walkers and you need to take care not to run them down.
There is a camp site at Alum Creek and at the Cox's. The latter has toilets. There is very limited drinking water at the Cox's but at Alum Creek and Little River (which you will follow for about 1 km). apart from that, you are in private land from about half way down from the black range.
Hope this helps.
Vince
AnswerID: 114736

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 18:00

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2005 at 18:00
Chris, not sure if your intent is exploring the road in or actually the Coxs Riv. But let's say both.
I've done the 6ft trk end to end & there is public road access right down to the Cox's. Probably best to stay off the walking track which takes in the Black Range Rd, there are access gates sometimes locked.

You can gain access from Little Hartley on the GW H'way or Cox's River Rd off the Janolan Caves Rd..

See CMA 8930-IV-N: From Little Hartley head sth (pass 3 trks RHS & 4 trks LHS) 4.2k to intersection - KR & SO - then swings west & at 9.7K crosses the headwaters of the Cox's.

Now See CMA 8930-IV-S: The rd then swings sth again & at about 17K is an intersection - KL - bearing east - 18k intersection - KR - bearing sth east through Walkers Gully you will parrallel the Cox's south. Keep south until intersection at 29K at the intersection hard left (east) down the Murdering Creek gully (approx 2k) to the river.

There is good parking down at the river & you are at the suspension bridge. My measurements are stepped off the maps & may not be spot on. The Cox's River Rd joins the rd in from Little Hartley at about 12k in from the GW H'way.

Have fun, it's a great place especially after good rain.
AnswerID: 114794

Follow Up By: chris_legend_25 - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 07:59

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 07:59
Sounds good.

I assume these is a fair bit of fun to be had in the State Forest nearby? We are still not sure wether to head down to the river for a BBQ, or just play around on some of the tracks shown on the CMA maps (gee, there look to be a lot!!!).

We'll probably end up doing both.

Does anyone know who to talk to about wether the gates will be locked? I'll ring NSW State Forests (or whatever they are called) later on this morning, but it would be appreciated if anyone knew the right person to contact.

Cheers

Chris
FollowupID: 370660

Follow Up By: Vince NSW - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 08:12

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 08:12
Cocka I have never seen the track from the Black Range to Little River locked in the past 15 years. In fact I think the post had moved to much to even close it.
The owner of the land from the gate to Alum Creek reserve is trying to stop walkers from camping on his land and has placed Very large stones in the fireplace that was built about 12 years abo to stop it being used. There are also new fences going up, but the road is still open. I live in the area and spend a lot of time out that way doing all sorts of things.
Vince
FollowupID: 370662

Sponsored Links