Laptop mountings

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 07:51
ThreadID: 23675 Views:2425 Replies:9 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am currently looking at either getting a laptop or PDA to run oziexplorer while on the move. The PDA would be easier to mount, but the laptop may be easier to use. I would be interested in finding out what others find the most convenient, and if they do use a laptop where and how did you mount it while travelling. I often travel by myself in the vehicle, so sitting it on the navigators knees is not a real option.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:00

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:00
sonny.

One option (not cheap) http://www.mobiledesk.com/
I have been using one of these for three years now. Works for me.

Reagrds
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 114858

Reply By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:13

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:13
Sonny.

Have a look at David Martins lap top mount.

David owns the site you are on. ExplorOz

Send him an email if someone doesnt end up posting the answer here for you.

AnswerID: 114862

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:35

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:35
Sonny,

I use a laptop with a remote screen. I recently bought a 14 " screen in Japan for less than $200. Even smaller screens are available, but they become more expensive. The Lilliput 7 and 8 inch screens are popular. They even have a touch screen version (avail on eBay). The laptop can be stowed anywhere in the car. I use a Logitec wireless IR mouse which sits on the centre console.
The remote screen is easy to mount - you don't need an expensive or cumbersome arm.
It helps to get a screen that runs on 12V, to avoid the need for an inverter.
AnswerID: 114864

Reply By: Member - TonyG (Qld) - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 12:54

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 12:54
Hi Sonny,

I have been using a mobiledesk also, as mentioned above.

The good points and bad points about using a mobiledesk is as follows:

* Great to have the bigger screeen over a pda.
* Mobile desk takes up area over passenger seat, so passenger can not see overlaptop screen. OK if you have sceen closed during driving.
* Laptop screen still bounces around when going over rough terrain.
* I would only recommend using mobiledesk for city navigation, or tracking whilst 4x4ing.

Hope this helps

TonyG
AnswerID: 114877

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 13:00

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 13:00
sonny I made up my computer carrier as pictured here and it fits to a Ram mount that was originally intended for an antenna mount on a boat. It can stand vertically between the seats vertically in our ute. I have also used it for typing a report while in the passenger seat while travelling.!MPG:10!
AnswerID: 114879

Reply By: Groove - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 18:17

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 18:17
This was my solution and it works really well
cheers
Check this out

AnswerID: 114929

Reply By: 4X4Treker - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 19:53

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 19:53
I have a mate who is using an Ipaq PDA that has bluetooth and with that he uses a bluetooth GPS and it works great, the Ipaq run Oziexpoer and he can down load all of the tracks waypoints and what ever to the laptop via a bluetooth USB dongle plugged into the laptop at the end of the day. If you want to go hiking the bluetooth GPS goes in your back pack and when ever you want to see where you are, just get out the Ipaq and you can see.
He also uses many other programs on the Ipac such as electronic dash wich gives you many extra functions with speed, altitude, direction, distance travelled, etc
I am going to go the way of the PDA with the bluetooth GPS myself as I believe it is the way to go after seeing my friends PDA working.
You are also correct that the PDA is much easier to mount, also one other considerartion is that the PDA uses memory cards therefore no moving parts ie no hard drive to crash, I currently use my laptop linked to my GPS but I do not run the laptop while on the move as an aquantance of mine has lost several hard drives and therefore all of his data due to the hard drive crashing while using the laptop on the move on rough roads.

Cheers
Treker
AnswerID: 114943

Reply By: Utemad - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 22:41

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 22:41
I used to use my laptop and Garmin GPS. I had it on the passenger seat when by myself and on the navigtors knees when with someone (never a popular option). I was concerned over the small screen on a _Permanent_Painted_Coatings.aspx but since owning one I have found it never to be a problem for navigation. However you wouldn't want to plan a trip on it.

A _Permanent_Painted_Coatings.aspx is also much faster to get up and going than a laptop and has no moving parts (hard drive etc) so probably more durable offroad.
AnswerID: 114977

Reply By: Neil_surf - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 10:18

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 10:18
Hi
Probably a stupid question. But can someone please tell me what a _Permanent_Painted_Coatings.aspx is
AnswerID: 117009

Sponsored Links